I've upgraded 7 machines to Windows 10. How many have you?

seta-san

I'm sort of my families IT person and in the last couple days I've done

3 Desktop towers

2 All=in-ones

2 tablets

What have you done?

• Like 1
Noir Angel

5 desktops. I had to reset 1 of them, and the other was so badly broken I couldn't even reset it. It's a good job they're allowing clean installs because their upgrade process still blows.

Jim K

1 secondary Windows 8.1 laptop.  That upgrade went very smooth without issue.

That is all for now.  

Not yet "sold" on updating my Windows 7 desktop, HTPC or primary laptop.

tsupersonic

2 total -> My Surface Pro 2 (absolute pain in the butt), and my desktop.

HoochieMamma

1 PC (mine) & 1 tablet (HP stream I got given) both issues from start to finish. PC was AMD drivers being stupid and WU having a later one than the site for some reason then a day later 15.7.1 comes out?? :/

5 people at work did it as well. 1 worked fine the rest non stop issues or didn't even start/work at all.

100% rush job on the RTM status IMO.

Mainly driver issues but still, they really could have tested this upgrade process a bit better.

Noir Angel

I've found the drivers not to be all that bad, all the problems I've had have been caused by the upgrade breaking things installed with Windows Installer (like Office and Java)

Anibal P

2 desktops, 1 laptop

Still pending a laptop and desktop I don't have the access to for the updates 

spenser.d

Upgraded a laptop and an ultrabook, both from 8.1. Both went smoothly.

birdie

None, and I don't intend to upgrade any until Windows 11/12/13 gets released or Windows 7 stops being supported - whichever comes first.

I will probably upgrade Windows 8.1 PCs around but so far I've seen nothing about Windows 10 that warrants an upgrade.

• Like 2
Mando

5 machines at home (household use) 

2 machines for parents.

1 duff install so far. flashing cursor of death after first reboot, partially fixed it, for it to happen the next 4 restarts after install completion, given up for the weekend on it. its an old Vostro i dont need, going to reinstall W7 and donate to my Gfs mum. finally kill off her Win XP Home fushitsu PC :p 

Install times vary,

• Centrino based laptop with SSD (sata2) and 8gb ram inplace upgrade retaining all files and apps 45mins.
  • i7 2600k games rig with SSds and 8Gb ram inplace upgrade retaining all files n apps 35mins
  • i5 laptop with SSD & 8Gb ram inplace upgrade retaining all files n apps 40mins
  • i3 laptop with platter drive and 4Gb ram inplace upgrade retaining all files n apps 2hours!
  • Atom dual core 1.6Gb with 4Gb ram and 7200 platter drive inplace upgrade retaining all files n apps 2hours!
Edited by Mando
SidVicious

1 Desktop
1 All-in-one
2 2-in-1
1 Laptop

sava700

Is anyone having issues using the force upgrade method? I can't get one of mine to upgrade using that method..just keeps saying up to date on update check.

Mando

Is anyone having issues using the force upgrade method? I can't get one of mine to upgrade using that method..just keeps saying up to date on update check.

bin it and do this > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

download apt media kit, run it and select upgrade this PC. Done this method both ways on all machines ive updated. All activated without issue on 29th :)

why wait? :)

adrynalyne

1 domain joined workstation - Enterprise

2 desktopdesktop - Home and Pro

1 2-1 - Pro

matt berry

1 - Tablet

6 - Laptops

9 - Desktops

and I still have more that I'll upgrade. Only problems I ran into is one Win 7 machine would not install as it couldn't update the system recovery partition - this required the partition to be manually resized from 100mb to over 350mb.

The next one was a little more challenging, it crashed during the second boot process, and would roll back to Win 7. First, leapfrog drivers were causing this issue - uninstalled - and windows 10 installed fine. After successfully installing and updating, the system crashed at bootup, with a kernel security check failure.  This required a boot to safe mode, and I uninstalled the older Lenovo drivers / software (All the ones that showed older dates).

A third machine, had an older insider preview installed on it. I installed RTM over it, but it wouldn't activate. Had to reinstall Win 7 and then upgrade to win 10.

FYI, I upgraded another machine, made sure it was activated. The very next day, I replaced the hard drive with a brand new SSD. Performed a clean install of win 10 from ISO (skipped the multiple requests for product key) Machine activated just fine. Very smooth process over all.

+Raze

2 laptops without any issues.

2 desktops and no problems with them either.

shockz

4 desktops and 1 laptop.

Every single one of them was a pain. Two of them couldn't get past the windows update portion saying the WIM was missing and then the other ones had errors that said "something happened".

The only one that has gone smoothly was the one that was already on the insider preview.

Eventually just downloaded the ISO and upgraded that way.

Jeston

I've done my 3 desktops, my SP3, and my friend's Windows 7 laptop. The laptop hadn't installed updates since 2011(!?) so I had to spend a couple days updating it before I could start the Windows 10 upgrade. Went smooth though.

My main desktop was having problems shutting down with fast startup enabled and I couldn't track down the problem, so ended up clean installing after a couple days. Luckily I was anticipating doing a clean install of Windows 10 on it anyway, so I didn't have very much installed on it yet. All are running like a dream now.

Perhaps not coincidentally, my SP3 was the only device that upgraded right away through Windows update, the rest I didn't feel like waiting and used the Media Creation tool method.

Studio384

3 desktops, 5 laptops, 4 tablets. I'm a happy camper. :)

PoultryTumor
  • 3 desktops thus far, zero problems or hangups.  3 more for the neighbors in the coming week.
Manarift

12 computers so far

4 tablets

4 pcs

4 laptops

No issues on any of them eaither

Edited by Manarift
onewarmslime

just my dekstop, and it worked perfectly.

Somnus

I've been trying the update procedure on my older netbook. It's my test machine of sorts. Since it's basic hardware and programs, I figure the upgrade procedure would go smoothly. It's been anything but.

I keep getting asked for my cd key to activate.

oldtimefighter

Doesn't anyone do clean installs anymore? What ever happened to that when a new Windows version came out it was time to start fresh, backup your data, format, and reinstall your apps? My desktop machine had ran Windows 7 (which I bought) so I qualified for the free upgrade but I bought the full version of Windows Home for it anyway on launch day. A problem free new install and will have no issues transferring it over to the new PC I will be building at the end of the year. I will still have my old product key so this box will go back to Windows 7.

All the stories of people struggling with upgrading their computers is painful to watch. Free is nice but $119 is a small price to pay for convenience with no questions about one's licensing status. It helps I never bothered with Windows 8 so it's been like 6 years since had to pay for Windows.  

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Surface Pro 6 gets new driver and firmware updates to improve stability
      by João Carrasqueira

A handful of Microsoft's Surface devices have already received firmware and driver updates over the past few days, and today, it's time for the Surface Pro 6 to join the fray. The 2-in-1 tablet first released over two years ago is getting a set of updates focused on improving stability and security.

Most of the updates seem to be Intel-related, including a new graphics driver. Here's the full list:

Windows Udpate History Name Device Manager Name Update Intel Corporation – Display – 27.20.100.8681 Intel(R) HD Graphics – Display adapters Improves graphics and system stability.

Intel Corporation – Extension - 27.20.100.8681 Intel® Display Graphics Adapter Driver Extension Addresses security updates and improves system stability.

Intel - Extension - 1952.14.0.1470 Intel(R) ICLS Client - Extension Addresses security updates and improves system stability.

Intel – SoftwareComponent - 1.62.321.1 Intel(R) ICLS Client - Software devices Addresses security updates and improves system stability.

Intel - System - 2040.100.0.1029 Intel(R) Management Engine Interface - System devices Addresses security updates and improves system stability.

Surface - Firmware - 11.8.82.3838 Surface ME - Firmware Addresses security updates and improves system stability.

The updates for the Surface Pro 6 come very shortly after the Surface Studio 2 got its own set of updates. The two devices were announced at the same event in late 2018, and while the Surface Pro 6 has already received a few successors, we have yet to see a follow-up to the Studio 2, so that's still Microsoft's flagship all-in-one.

As usual, you'll need to be running Windows 10 version 1903 or newer to get the updates, but since that version is no longer supported by Microsoft, you should already be using something newer. You can find the updates in the Settings app under Windows Update. Alternatively, you can download the latest driver package from here.

• By Rich Woods
      Surface Studio 2 gets updates with general improvements
      by Rich Woods

Today, Microsoft is releasing a round of driver and firmware updates for its Surface Studio 2 all-in-one PC. There's nothing wildly exciting about them, as they include security updates and system stability improvements. As usual, they're available for anyone running Windows 10 version 1903 or higher.

Here's the full list of updates:

Windows Update History Name

Device Manager Name Version and Update Intel - Extension - 1952.14.0.1470 Intel(R) ICLS Client - Extension 1952.14.0.1470

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Intel – SoftwareComponent - 1.62.321.1 Intel(R) ICLS Client - Software devices 1.62.321.1

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Intel - System - 2040.100.0.1029 Intel(R) Management Engine Interface - System devices 2040.100.0.1029

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Surface - Firmware - 11.8.82.3838 Surface ME - Firmware 11.8.82.3838

Addresses security updates and improves system stability.
      Microsoft first announced the Surface Studio 2 back in October 2018, about two and a half years ago. It was at the same event where the Surface Pro 6 and Surface Laptop 2 were announced. But while those portable PCs have been refreshed since, the Surface Studio hasn't, still being sold with seventh-generation processors that are four generations old, and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics, which are two generations old. In fact, there aren't even any rumors or leaks around a new Surface Studio.

Anyway, if you've got a Surface Studio 2, you can grab these updates through Windows Update. You can also download the drivers and firmware bundle for the device here.

• By indospot
      Microsoft will update Snipping Tool and Paint through the Microsoft Store
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft is making it possible to update even more of Windows 10's inbox apps updatable through the Microsoft Store, separating them from OS updates. This morning, it was reported that Paint - once supposed to be on its way out - was coming to the Microsoft Store, and with the release of Windows 10 build 21354 to Insiders in the Dev channel, the Snipping Tool is joining the fray.

Paint was initially going to be phased out in favor of Paint 3D, which was introduced back in 2017, but when Microsoft announced its demise, users weren't happy. The company quickly backtracked and not only kept Paint around, but also promised to put the app on the Microsoft Store. Almost four years later, it's finally happening, and it comes with a new icon for the app.

As for the Snipping Tool, Microsoft also introduced something of a successor in the form of Snip & Sketch, another built-in Windows 10 app that was first introduced in 2018. In fact, on the latest version of Windows 10, Snipping Tool shows a message saying it's moving to a new home. However, it has stuck around ever since, and now, it's actually being bundled into the same package as Snip & Sketch on the Microsoft Store.

Snip & Sketch was already receiving updates independently from the operating system, and now the classic Snipping Tool will be able to do so as well. This could also enable Microsoft to more easily have feature parity between the two apps and eventually phase out one or the other, but there's no indication right now of when that might happen.

This week's Windows 10 build was somewhat light on new features, but it also adds new options in the Windows 10 Settings app. You'll soon be able to adjust some webcam settings like brightness and contrast on a system level, for example. You can find the full changelog here.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases ISO images for Windows 10 build 21354
      by Rich Woods

Today, Microsoft released Windows 10 Insider Preview build 21354, and alongside it, we're getting new ISO images for those that want to do a clean installation of the OS. The last time Microsoft released new Dev channel ISOs was on January 6, when it published images for Windows 10 Insider Preview build 21286.

There were, however, Beta channel ISOs released since then. In March, the company published its first ISOs for Windows 10 version 21H1. In fact, 21H1, or build 19043, is shown as being the ISOs for both the Beta and Release Preview channels. This is despite the fact that 21H1 isn't actually available in the Release Preview channel unless you're a commercial customer.

The Dev channel isn't tied to a specific release, so this is officially another prerelease build. That means that if you install this, there's no telling when you'll be able to switch off Insider Preview builds and return to production without doing a factory reset. We all expected 21H1 to be that, but instead it turned into a minor update with the build number only increasing by one.

We're now expecting the next major update to be 21H2. It's going to have some big visual changes, x64 emulation on ARM, possibly Android emulation, and more.

You can download the new ISO images here.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 21354 from the co_release branch
      by Rich Woods

As is typically the case for a Wednesday, Microsoft released a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build to the Dev channel today. The build number is 21354, and while there's a lot in the changelog, nothing stands out as being too major.

For one thing, Paint and Snipping Tool are now going to be updated through the Microsoft Store, just like we've seen from Notepad. In fact, the Paint listing was spotted earlier today, so now it's official. There are also news and interests improvements, as usual.

What's probably more interesting is that this is from the co_release branch, rather than rs_prerelease. That means that Microsoft is working on finalizing the next feature update.

Here's the full changelog:

As usual, you can grab the build via Windows Update. If you're not on the Dev channel, you can enroll via the Windows Insider Program tab in Settings.