I've upgraded 7 machines to Windows 10. How many have you?

marcox92

bin it and do this > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

download apt media kit, run it and select upgrade this PC. Done this method both ways on all machines ive updated. All activated without issue on 29th :)

why wait? :)

OK Have upgrade also 2 PC W8.1 using the "forcing method" and they look as activated; but il you check the keys you'll see that they are that one used for "insiders preview"; and am surprised nobody mention that

Southern Patriot

7 as well. 6 desktops (two of which are used by my kids, one by me, one by my parents, and two that are used as HTPC), and my wife's netbook. Hers is the only one with a touchscreen though.

sava700

Doesn't anyone do clean installs anymore? What ever happened to that when a new Windows version came out it was time to start fresh, backup your data, format, and reinstall your apps? My desktop machine had ran Windows 7 (which I bought) so I qualified for the free upgrade but I bought the full version of Windows Home for it anyway on launch day. A problem free new install and will have no issues transferring it over to the new PC I will be building at the end of the year. I will still have my old product key so this box will go back to Windows 7.

All the stories of people struggling with upgrading their computers is painful to watch. Free is nice but $119 is a small price to pay for convenience with no questions about one's licensing status. It helps I never bothered with Windows 8 so it's been like 6 years since had to pay for Windows.  

Problem is you can't do a new install for free without the upgrade first.  So I'd rather go thru some pain for a few hours get the new Win10 key then install it fresh later. I'd love to get a Win10 Pro 64bit OEM ISO anytime someone wishes to post it.

Circaflex

I would say, close to 50 units including personal/friends along with company assets.

adrynalyne

Doesn't anyone do clean installs anymore? What ever happened to that when a new Windows version came out it was time to start fresh, backup your data, format, and reinstall your apps? My desktop machine had ran Windows 7 (which I bought) so I qualified for the free upgrade but I bought the full version of Windows Home for it anyway on launch day. A problem free new install and will have no issues transferring it over to the new PC I will be building at the end of the year. I will still have my old product key so this box will go back to Windows 7.

All the stories of people struggling with upgrading their computers is painful to watch. Free is nice but $119 is a small price to pay for convenience with no questions about one's licensing status. It helps I never bothered with Windows 8 so it's been like 6 years since had to pay for Windows.  

Valid opinion.  It also explains why you don't know about the reset option in Windows 8+.

Get the upgrade done, do a reset, save 119 bucks.

• Like 1
FiB3R

None yet, but I will be doing 4 at home this week.

oldtimefighter

Valid opinion.  It also explains why you don't know about the reset option in Windows 8+.

Get the upgrade done, do a reset, save 119 bucks.

I must certainly do know about the reset option and if you were paying attention I touched on three reasons why didn't want to do a upgrade. Sigh...

What is wrong with this site? Weeks ago I was asking a question about doing a full install and I keep getting people saying you can do a upgrade and reset even after me saying 3x I don't want to do a upgrade. Upgrade is only the cheaper option but not the best option in all use cases nor in the long term.

Edited by oldtimefighter
Yusuf M.

I must certainly do know about the reset option and if you were paying attention I touched on three reasons why didn't want to do a upgrade. Sigh...

What is wrong with this site? Weeks ago I was asking a question about doing a full install and I keep getting people saying you can do a upgrade and reset even after saying 3x I don't want to do a upgrade. Upgrade is only the cheaper option but not the best option in all use cases nor in the long term.

The only difference between a clean install and an upgrade/reset is the hassle of having to upgrade first. When you reset your PC, you also have the option of formatting the hard drive. Personally, I'd happily install Windows 7/8/8.1 first and then upgrade to 10 if it meant I was saving $119.

• Like 1
DKAngel

What is wrong with this site? Weeks ago I was asking a question about doing a full install and I keep getting people saying you can do a upgrade and reset even after me saying 3x I don't want to do a upgrade. Upgrade is only the cheaper option but not the best option in all use cases nor in the long term.

you can do a clean friggen install after the upgrade, thats what you dont seem to be understanding, the upgrade is just so it transfeers your licence over to windows 10, once done its free go ahead and do a clean install

i went back install win8.1 then upgraded to 10 clean, then formated and installed clean took me less than an hr and boom all clean and done didnt cost me anything

+therealDamien

I did 4 computers in one day. 

2 desktops and 2 laptop.

all at the same time.

1 laptop took longer to upgrade, because it had alot of usb devices connected the first time. and install process got stuck.

M1ckyB

2 Surface Pro 3's

1 NUC running as a HTPC

All running Windows 10 Pro..

+InsaneNutter

I'd love to get a Win10 Pro 64bit OEM ISO anytime someone wishes to post it.

Go to this webpage: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Scroll to the bottom and select the edition of Windows 10 you want an ISO for, then the language.

You will then be presented with 32bit and 64bit ISO's, the SHA1 of these ISO's also matches the equivalent ISO of your choosing on MSDN.

cork1958

None, and I don't intend to upgrade any until Windows 11/12/13 gets released or Windows 7 stops being supported - whichever comes first.

I will probably upgrade Windows 8.1 PCs around but so far I've seen nothing about Windows 10 that warrants an upgrade.

Exactly the same feeling here, otherwise, I have 7 machines here that I could upgrade!

From what the preview editions ran like on the 2 machines I tested Windows 10 on, it was so buggy/crappy, I don't think MS should've released Windows 10 for months yet and I'm not setting around waiting for them to update things as they go, like they want to.

techbeck

I am getting ready to replace my system at work.  Other than that...nothing right now.

MikeChipshop

Four devices at home, four at friends / family.

At home/work: 1 x desktop, 2 x laptop and 1 x tablet (HP Stream 7).
Friends/Family: 1 x desktop and 3 x laptops 

Then you clearly don't understand what a reset is do you? 

Gotenks98

Honestly I have lost count at this point. However for the ones I had trouble with it was due to the download being corrupted and having to clear the update cache. Once that was done it was smooth sailing from there.

Haggis

3 so far

1 Desktop that went quite smoothly

1 laptop that got 80%+ through the install then failed

1 VM which would not even attempt it as the Graphics Adapter is not supported

tsupersonic

I hope you didn't activate W10 on your existing PC, because when you go and activate it on your new build at the end of the year, you're going to have problems. I hate going through that phone call.

On my desktop, I did an upgrade from W8.1 to W10 (which was flawless compared to my Surface Pro 2 upgrade), then I did a fresh clean install (formatted). This whole process was very short, definitely helped running from a USB 3 flash drive. I'd rather not pay MS anything for this upgrade. Last time I paid for an OS was W8 - $15 licenses. I'm also fine with not ever using W7/W8.x, and moving on with W10, because it's much better.

+BudMan

0...  Not jumping this quick to upgrading my machines...  That is just asking for issues...

Need to research this telemetry phone home ######, etc..  And now that its dropped there will be lots of more details coming other than just the drizzle of small amounts of information that came from preview, where oh its going to change, or that is not how its going to be in rtm, etc.

If I move it won't be for a few weeks that is for sure.  Biggest thing I want to play with is SMB 3.1.1 to be honest ;)

• Like 1
oldtimefighter

The only difference between a clean install and an upgrade/reset is the hassle of having to upgrade first. When you reset your PC, you also have the option of formatting the hard drive. Personally, I'd happily install Windows 7/8/8.1 first and then upgrade to 10 if it meant I was saving $119.

you can do a clean friggen install after the upgrade, thats what you dont seem to be understanding, the upgrade is just so it transfeers your licence over to windows 10, once done its free go ahead and do a clean install

i went back install win8.1 then upgraded to 10 clean, then formated and installed clean took me less than an hr and boom all clean and done didnt cost me anything

Then you clearly don't understand what a reset is do you? 

Bucket up! Here we go again... Please stop thinking you understand my situation and needs. I WAS NOT INTERESTED IN DOING A UPGRADE!

1. Time and upgrade issues... A new install is faster then doing an upgrade and reset. I have a girlfriend, friends, other interests. No one has noticed like every minute somewhere here someone makes a comment about  the upgrade process not working? In my case, my hard drive failed three weeks ago so put Ubuntu Gnome on temporally because didn't want to bother with the pain of a Windows 7 install when Windows 10 was about to launch. This means I would have had to install Windows 7, do the upgrade, then the reset. You did read I was building a new PC by the end of the year yes?

2. I did mention still wanted access to my Windows 7 license. Right?

3. The advantages of owning a full version of Windows 10 out weighted the free upgrade option FOR ME.

Everyone happy now? I paid the $119 and was still able to even buy the fancy tuna fish and not the generic stuff on grocery day.

I hope you didn't activate W10 on your existing PC, because when you go and activate it on your new build at the end of the year, you're going to have problems. I hate going through that phone call.

You don't have the option of not activating on Windows 10 as it does it automatically. The phone call is automated and much quicker then installing 7, upgrading to Windows 10, then doing a reset.

Edited by oldtimefighter
Yusuf M.

Bucket up! Here we go again... Please stop thinking you understand my situation and needs. I WAS NOT INTERESTED IN DOING A UPGRADE!

1. Time and upgrade issues... A new install is faster then doing an upgrade and reset. I have a girlfriend, friends, other interests. No one has noticed like every minute somewhere here someone makes a comment about  the upgrade process not working? In my case, my hard drive failed three weeks ago so put Ubuntu Gnome on temporally because didn't want to bother with the pain of a Windows 7 install when Windows 10 was about to launch. This means I would have had to install Windows 7, do the upgrade, then the reset. You did read I was building a new PC by the end of the year yes?

2. I did mention still wanted access to my Windows 7 license. Right?

3. The advantages of owning a full version of Windows 10 out weighted the free upgrade option FOR ME.

Everyone happy now? I was able to pay the $119 and still was able to even buy the fancy tuna fish and not the generic stuff on grocery day. 

Fair enough. I can see the convenience of being able to clean install whenever you want. The reason I replied to you is because I thought you weren't aware of what a reset actually did. You've explained yourself by stating your reasons for wanting a retail license. No harm, no foul. :)

Now to get back on topic, I've only upgraded two PCs. My gaming PC and my younger brother's gaming PC. As PC gamers, we wanted DirectX 12 and the upgrade process was problem-free. The only hassle I encountered was having to replace some drivers with the Windows 10 version.

Mando

my dear friend, to answer your question, yes normally I do, but with the FREE upgrade YOU CANT DO A CLEAN INSTALL INITIALLY.

Once the upgrade has completed, you can do a reset to factory, telling it not to keep any apps or files.

OR

you can then use the media for an old fashioned clean install After activation on the upgrade was successful, but not until you have done an in place upgrade initially.

Without sounding rude RTFM! MS have stated this for weeks.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_wol_help_faq

From MS themselves.

Can I do a clean install of W10 on the upgrade offer version?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

A bit of a pain in ass, but tbh the factory reset after install is as good as a clean install.

ill do a proper clean install when the machine requires it, I don't fancy downloading all my steam games again :) now that I have upgraded and have an activated licence (retail W7 ultimate key source) on this mobo, next format will be an old school clean install.

Edited by Mando
  • Like 1
oldtimefighter

Fair enough. I can see the convenience of being able to clean install whenever you want. The reason I replied to you is because I thought you weren't aware of what a reset actually did. You've explained yourself by stating your reasons for wanting a retail license. No harm, no foul. :)

I did elude to those reasons in my first post which everyone seems to have missed. : |

my dear friend, to answer your question, yes normally I do, but with the FREE upgrade YOU CANT DO A CLEAN INSTALL INITIALLY.

Once the upgrade has completed, you can do a reset to factory, telling it not to keep any apps or files.

OR...

Did you even read my comment you replied to or my following comments on this thread before replying?

ATTENTION! To make this easy for everyone please disregard all my previous comments. What really happened... Last week my house burned down to the ground including the PC and my Windows 7 license. This left me with the only option of building a new PC, buying the full version of Windows 10 Home and doing a clean full install. The end.

Anyone want to take bets on how many comments I will still get along the lines of... "Why didn't I do the free upgrade?" "Haven't you ever heard of the reset option?"

adrynalyne

I did elude to those reasons in my first post which everyone seems to have missed. : |

Did you even read my comment you replied to or my following comments on this thread before replying?

ATTENTION! To make this easy for everyone please disregard all my previous comments. What really happened... Last week my house burned down to the ground including the PC and my Windows 7 license. This left me with the only option of building a new PC, buying the full version of Windows 10 Home and doing a clean full install. The end.

Anyone want to take bets on how many comments I will still get along the lines of... "Why didn't I do the free upgrade?" "Haven't you ever heard of the reset option?"

People are hung up on your first question, and its why they are answering because from the question it appears you don't understand why others are not doing a clean install.

Doesn't anyone do clean installs anymore?

JustGeorge

2 desktops so far. One went smooth and one hosed the Realtek ethernet. Kept saying there was no cable plugged in. A quick driver update from Realtek's site resolved that (I hope, haven't rebooted yet). I have a bunch of work machines and the wife's Lenovo Helix left ahead.

Upgrade process has been very slow. I can't complain though cause one machine started on Vista, then 7, then 8 and now on 10. It was the one that went perfect.