I've upgraded 7 machines to Windows 10. How many have you?

DefyTheOutcome

Two machines, both clean install

- The Home Desktop at home: the only thing missing is some sort of IR remote control driver I did not even know exist and I really do not care about.

- The workstation at work: still a few things missing but system is operational and I barely see the difference in my daily routine

madd-hatter

People who adapt new technologies usually get burned. I'm in no rush.

BoondockSaint

I took the plunge today and upgraded my work/games machine. I had one of those accidental purchases... walking past a computer shop and got tempted into getting a better SSD than my current one. That was as good excuse as any to move that machine over.

Upgraded, then clean installed. So far, everything is running very smoothly. That makes all 3 of my machines upgraded.

derkim

three laptops, one PC 

freak180

pfff. Keep on living in fear

ZakO

Four. No problems with any of them so far, I did a fresh install after upgrade on all but one. 

> New Desktop (z97 - 4790k), old desktop (p45 - Q9550), rMBP, old laptop

+xrobwx71

3 desktops at work and 1 @ home. No issues to speak of. Upgraded these all on July 30th with the media creation tool.

PGHammer

Zero, One got "upgraded" but was quickly restored to it's original 7 and all the other machines got their updates cancelled.

Okay - what happened?  Hardware issues, application issues or comfort/user-related issues?  I don't ding or criticize because of user-comfort-related issues - that sort of thing has happened.  I personally reported one hardware ding - on my oldest notebook - however, the ding is not damaging enough to force a rollback.  However, the application/software issues - including incompabilities - need disclosure, so they can be addressed by whoever needs to.

techbeck

Upgraded a SP1 and SP2.  Was surprised that their were drivers Win10 couldnt install and that Windows Update did not have them either.  Had to DL the Win10 drivers from MS and update them manually.   Also, the SP1 had my works custom software load and Win10 would not upgrade until I set the tablet back to factory defaults.

adrynalyne

How is that abacus treating you?

DavidM

Okay - what happened?  Hardware issues, application issues or comfort/user-related issues?  I don't ding or criticize because of user-comfort-related issues - that sort of thing has happened.  I personally reported one hardware ding - on my oldest notebook - however, the ding is not damaging enough to force a rollback.  However, the application/software issues - including incompabilities - need disclosure, so they can be addressed by whoever needs to.

Windows 10 happened, between the privacy issues, forced updates, crappy start menu, p2p updates, the new tos that allows Microsoft to stop me from using any software they decide is "not legal" and their ability to break "unauthorized devices" any time they see fit. I think that's about it... no wait it's freaking ugly, it looks like a bad implementation of the Windows 3.1 theme. That start menu is a joke, so many design failures in such a small space, it boggles my mind. I can't believe that is the best they can do, are they even trying?

I thought they were serious about making the desktop their primary target, but nope, they keep on smashing their tablet ui into the desktop and coming up empty. I know they felt rushed, Win 8/8.1 was not going to be adopted like Win 7 was, and they realized they needed to fix it asap, but Win 10 is not the answer, and is a startling experience for anyone not following the development. Going from Aero to 10's "theme" is a truly harsh experience, my wife thought the install had broke when she saw the desktop finally boot up. She honestly ask, "Is it supposed to look like that?" I just shook my head and said yes.

TLDR; I think Microsoft rushed a product out to try and remove the stain that was Win 8/8.1 and failed.

madd-hatter

Reasonable response.

/s

adrynalyne

Reasonable response.

/s

Thee is nothing wrong with being a luddite.

Kudo

1 desktop and 1 laptop.

sinetheo

Sticking with 8.1. I tried to put my main rig on 10 and WOW was it not ready. Very buggy and no placeholders for Onedrive on my limited SSD where I would copy is a no go. I can't change the color of the title bars. Edge is not ready and I am sure I would find other reasons.

I want to type a new one asking "Any holdouts sticking witih 8.1"? But that would get quite ugly here FAST. If it aint broke don't fix it seems to increase as us users get older. I want to try 10 but man I am dissapointed in the QA. Since MS laid off their QA and only focus on feedback and usage scenarios it showed.

I will probably upgrade next year when it is ready. It took XP a few years to be ready for the desktop

sinetheo

Thee is nothing wrong with being a luddite.

1 desktop and 1 laptop.

Funny one of my senior techs at worik has a dad who loves XP as the BEST OS EVER! He won't leave it and will fight and die protecting his Pentium IV with 512 megs of ram from the horrors of 7 and ribbons. What he has works so why should he change?

Oh but but it is out of date?! So what is wrong with an abacus? It works and some users have work to do and do not have time to have a whitish titlebar and unflexible buggy OS that is not finished yet when they have work to get done. Their phones on the other hand is what needs to be new with a higher priority. Face it the PC is now the mainframe in terms of excitement and is old crud and legacy for work. We love operating systems but I see nothing wrong with sticking with 8.1 until the 1st 2 updates are out to put placeholders back in Onedrive, add extensions in Edge, fix grpahical problems in ATI and Nvidia systems, have universal apps ready, colors again in Office 2016, and have all their printers, cams, and other devices ported over, and more importantly JUST WORK!

Mockingbird

I've upgraded 999,999,993 PCs to Windows 10, therefore there must be at least a billion devices running Windows 10.

Is Microsoft going to throw a party?

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      AdDuplex: Windows 10 version 21H1 is now on over 26% of PCs, Windows 11 makes its debut
      by Abhay Venkatesh

After a gap of a couple of months, AdDuplex has released its Windows version usage report for the month of July. The report is collected from 5,000 Microsoft Store apps that are running the AdDuplex SDK v.2 or higher, and around 60,000 Windows PCs were sampled for this report. This month’s highlight is the debut of Windows 11, which was formally announced in June. As for Windows 10, version 21H1 that was released in May is now running on over 26% of Windows machines.

Just like the October 2020 Update, the Windows 10 May 2021 Update was an enablement package that light up new features in the OS. The underlying codebase for 21H1, however, is identical to versions 20H2 and 2004, meaning that the three most recent versions are serviced with the same cumulative updates. It is, therefore, not surprising to see that the rollout of the latest version has been faster than the previous versions has seen. This is only expected to increase as version 2004 begins to reach the end of support for consumer SKUs.

With Windows 10 21H1 now on more than 26% of PCs, the three latest versions of the OS account for close to 88% of usage share. The title for the most famous version of Windows 10 is retained by version 20H2 at 36.3%, followed by version 2004 at 24.6%. Windows Insiders running Windows 11 in the Dev channel account for close to 1% of total devices.

Windows 10 version 21H2 is also slated to be an enablement package. However, with Windows 11 expected to begin rolling out later this year, it will be interesting to see how the usage share changes, since there are still questions about the pace of the rollout and what the final hardware specifications will be.

• By Steven P.
      This Windows Hello webcam with privacy shutter is 20% off for only $67.99
      by Steven Parker

Today on Amazon, you can pick up the wo-we Windows Hello Face Recognition Webcam for only $67.99 when you apply the $20 coupon, saving you 17% off the $84.99 list price.

A nice thing about this webcam is not only is it a cheap way into Windows Hello password-less sign-in on Windows, but also has a manual privacy shutter, something you don't get on the more than doubly expensive Logi Brio webcam.

Here are a few of its highlights:

Below are a few of this camera's specifications, besides being compliant with Windows Hello.

This item qualifies for free delivery, and the prices mentioned here are before taxes. It also includes standard manufacturer's warranty for which Amazon says you need to contact the seller.

Get the wo-we Windows Hello Face Recognition Webcam for $67.99 (list price $84.99) 20% off

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By hellowalkman
      Windows July update breaks printing and scanning when using smart-cards
      by Sayan Sen

Microsoft seems to be having to deal with issues related to printers for a while now. This year alone, starting with the March update that caused the blue screen of death (BSOD) when trying to print, and more recently with the PrintNightmare print spooler service vulnerability. And Microsoft's troubles aren't stopping there.

Today, the firm has confirmed that its recent July security update version KB5004237, which was released on July 13, is causing problems when printing on certain systems when trying to utilize smart cards for user authentication. This time, alongside printing problems, scanning on such systems may also not work.

According to the Redmond firm, the KB5004237 July 13 cumulative update fixed printing problems on such printers that were connected via USB. However, it seems the update has also introduced a new bug as a result of the changes made for dealing with the CVE-2021-33764 vulnerability. This is causing the new issue on Domain Controller servers which act as gatekeepers responsible for dealing with such authentication requests.

It has been noted however that while working with smart cards may fail, username and password authentication should work without issue. Here's how Microsoft has described the problem:

The problem has been detailed a bit more under KB5005408 which explains that client printers and scanners must be compliant with either of the following:

Here, KDC refers to a Key Distribution Center.

The Windows platforms affected by this issue are:

Client: Windows 10, version 21H1; Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004; Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1809; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016; Windows 10, version 1607; Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB; Windows 8.1; Windows 7 SP1

Server: Windows Server, version 20H2; Windows Server, version 2004; Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1809; Windows Server 2019; Windows Server 2016; Windows Server 2012 R2; Windows Server 2012; Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1; Windows Server 2008 SP2

Microsoft has said that it's investigating the issue and will provide a temporary workaround. For people having problems, the company has asked to update the necessary drivers and firmware and to consult with the device manufacturers when needed. You may find more details about the problem here on the company's official page.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft says that there will be a Windows 11 LTSC release, but it's a few years out
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft officially unveiled Windows 11 last month, showing off the UI changes being made as part of a major update to Windows, among other changes such as the addition of support for Android apps. The company also shared more about the support and service lifecycle of the OS, adding that Windows 11 will move to an annual update cadence, unlike Windows 10. It has also been providing clarifications about the minimum system specifications, which has been a topic of discussion since the Windows 11 announcement.

As for Windows 10, the firm recently detailed the features being added to version 21H2, the next feature update to Windows 10 – which is yet another enablement package. As part of that announcement, the Redmond company also confirmed that the next Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) version will be based on Windows 10 21H2 and will be released later this year. However, nothing in the way of information about Windows 11 LTSC releases was shared. That changed today, as the firm confirmed during an AMA on the Tech Community blog (spotted by Petri) that the LTSC release after the one based on 21H2 will be based on Windows 11.

A response to one of the AMA questions explains:

Microsoft recently revised the support timeframes for Windows LTSC releases from 10 years to five years, with the 2021 release being the first to be affected by the change. The current release based on version 1809, therefore, is unaffected and enjoys an extended support timeline till 2029. With the 2021 version likely supported only until 2026, there is less incentive for enterprises to move to a newer version, thanks in part to the reduced support.

Today’s session also contained questions about the future of Windows 10 updates, with the company reiterating that it is “committed” to support Windows 10 till October 2025 for eligible customers – such as for non-LTSC SKUs. However, it adds that the question of whether version 21H2 will be the “last feature update” is still a topic of discussion internally.

It will be interesting to see what the release timelines for the LTSC version based on Windows 11 will be. However, unlike Windows 10, the first Windows 11 version to be released later this year will not be accompanied by a corresponding LTSC release and is at least three years out.

• By hellowalkman
      Microsoft provides workaround for HiveNightmare registry vulnerability that affects Windows 10 and 11
      by Sayan Sen

Microsoft earlier today released a temporary workaround solution for systems that are vulnerable to the newly found HiveNightmare security flaw. The vulnerability was discovered by Twitter user 'Jonas L' and also verified by another user '@GossiTheDog' who noticed that the Windows Security Account Manager (SAM) database - that contains all important passwords and keys - was now apparently accessible by non-admin users. This is why the new flaw is called SeriousSAM or HiveNightmare as it gives an attacker access to SAM, SYSTEM, and SECURITY registry hive files.

The problem was first introduced when Microsoft released the recent KB5004605 update that added Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and all OS versions starting from Windows 10 build 1809, including the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.71 are exploitable.

Microsoft has acknowledged the vulnerability in the new CVE dubbed 'CVE-2021-36934' and has provided the following workaround:

Restrict access to the contents of %windir%\system32\config Open Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell as administrator.

Run this command:
      icacls %windir%\system32\config\*.* /inheritance:e

Delete Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) shadow copies

Open Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell as administrator.

Run command: vssadmin list shadows to see if there are shadow points

If there are, delete them with: vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /Quiet

Run command: vssadmin list shadows again to see if they are deleted

Delete any System Restore points that existed prior to restricting access to %windir%\system32\config

Create a new System Restore point (if needed)

For those wondering if their system may be vulnerable to this exploit, most computers that have OS drives bigger than 128GB likely generate VSS shadow copies which can be exploited by an attacker. For those who wish to be sure if their system has created VSS files and whether their computer is exploitable, the CERT has provided an excellent guide to check how.

Source: Microsoft via Forbes

Update: As a reader 'Tantawi' has pointed out, we missed adding how a user would be able to delete their VSS shadows. The command that will do so can be found on Microsoft's official page here.