I've upgraded 7 machines to Windows 10. How many have you?

DefyTheOutcome

Two machines, both clean install

- The Home Desktop at home: the only thing missing is some sort of IR remote control driver I did not even know exist and I really do not care about.

- The workstation at work: still a few things missing but system is operational and I barely see the difference in my daily routine

madd-hatter

People who adapt new technologies usually get burned. I'm in no rush.

BoondockSaint

I took the plunge today and upgraded my work/games machine. I had one of those accidental purchases... walking past a computer shop and got tempted into getting a better SSD than my current one. That was as good excuse as any to move that machine over.

Upgraded, then clean installed. So far, everything is running very smoothly. That makes all 3 of my machines upgraded.

freak180

pfff. Keep on living in fear

ZakO

Four. No problems with any of them so far, I did a fresh install after upgrade on all but one. 

> New Desktop (z97 - 4790k), old desktop (p45 - Q9550), rMBP, old laptop

+xrobwx71

3 desktops at work and 1 @ home. No issues to speak of. Upgraded these all on July 30th with the media creation tool.

PGHammer

Zero, One got "upgraded" but was quickly restored to it's original 7 and all the other machines got their updates cancelled.

Okay - what happened?  Hardware issues, application issues or comfort/user-related issues?  I don't ding or criticize because of user-comfort-related issues - that sort of thing has happened.  I personally reported one hardware ding - on my oldest notebook - however, the ding is not damaging enough to force a rollback.  However, the application/software issues - including incompabilities - need disclosure, so they can be addressed by whoever needs to.

techbeck

Upgraded a SP1 and SP2.  Was surprised that their were drivers Win10 couldnt install and that Windows Update did not have them either.  Had to DL the Win10 drivers from MS and update them manually.   Also, the SP1 had my works custom software load and Win10 would not upgrade until I set the tablet back to factory defaults.

adrynalyne

How is that abacus treating you?

DavidM

Okay - what happened?  Hardware issues, application issues or comfort/user-related issues?  I don't ding or criticize because of user-comfort-related issues - that sort of thing has happened.  I personally reported one hardware ding - on my oldest notebook - however, the ding is not damaging enough to force a rollback.  However, the application/software issues - including incompabilities - need disclosure, so they can be addressed by whoever needs to.

Windows 10 happened, between the privacy issues, forced updates, crappy start menu, p2p updates, the new tos that allows Microsoft to stop me from using any software they decide is "not legal" and their ability to break "unauthorized devices" any time they see fit. I think that's about it... no wait it's freaking ugly, it looks like a bad implementation of the Windows 3.1 theme. That start menu is a joke, so many design failures in such a small space, it boggles my mind. I can't believe that is the best they can do, are they even trying?

I thought they were serious about making the desktop their primary target, but nope, they keep on smashing their tablet ui into the desktop and coming up empty. I know they felt rushed, Win 8/8.1 was not going to be adopted like Win 7 was, and they realized they needed to fix it asap, but Win 10 is not the answer, and is a startling experience for anyone not following the development. Going from Aero to 10's "theme" is a truly harsh experience, my wife thought the install had broke when she saw the desktop finally boot up. She honestly ask, "Is it supposed to look like that?" I just shook my head and said yes.

TLDR; I think Microsoft rushed a product out to try and remove the stain that was Win 8/8.1 and failed.

madd-hatter

Reasonable response.

/s

adrynalyne

Reasonable response.

/s

Thee is nothing wrong with being a luddite.

Kudo

1 desktop and 1 laptop.

sinetheo

Sticking with 8.1. I tried to put my main rig on 10 and WOW was it not ready. Very buggy and no placeholders for Onedrive on my limited SSD where I would copy is a no go. I can't change the color of the title bars. Edge is not ready and I am sure I would find other reasons.

I want to type a new one asking "Any holdouts sticking witih 8.1"? But that would get quite ugly here FAST. If it aint broke don't fix it seems to increase as us users get older. I want to try 10 but man I am dissapointed in the QA. Since MS laid off their QA and only focus on feedback and usage scenarios it showed.

I will probably upgrade next year when it is ready. It took XP a few years to be ready for the desktop

sinetheo

Thee is nothing wrong with being a luddite.

1 desktop and 1 laptop.

Funny one of my senior techs at worik has a dad who loves XP as the BEST OS EVER! He won't leave it and will fight and die protecting his Pentium IV with 512 megs of ram from the horrors of 7 and ribbons. What he has works so why should he change?

Oh but but it is out of date?! So what is wrong with an abacus? It works and some users have work to do and do not have time to have a whitish titlebar and unflexible buggy OS that is not finished yet when they have work to get done. Their phones on the other hand is what needs to be new with a higher priority. Face it the PC is now the mainframe in terms of excitement and is old crud and legacy for work. We love operating systems but I see nothing wrong with sticking with 8.1 until the 1st 2 updates are out to put placeholders back in Onedrive, add extensions in Edge, fix grpahical problems in ATI and Nvidia systems, have universal apps ready, colors again in Office 2016, and have all their printers, cams, and other devices ported over, and more importantly JUST WORK!

Mockingbird

I've upgraded 999,999,993 PCs to Windows 10, therefore there must be at least a billion devices running Windows 10.

Is Microsoft going to throw a party?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By subir
      Windows 10 update causing high-pitched noise issues
      by Subir Kathuria

Ever since Microsoft released the KB5000842 update for Windows 10, it has been causing more problems than it fixed. First, it caused game performance issues along with update KB5001330. Now, Microsoft has released another advisory that "A high-pitched noise might be heard when using 5.1 audio with certain settings". Affected platforms include consumer versions of Windows 10 version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004. The issue does not occur when stereo is used.

Microsoft says it's aware of the issue and is investigating the same. Till a fix is released, Microsoft has provided two temporary workarounds:

Microsoft says it's working on it at the moment but has not provided any timeline for a proper fix.

Source: Microsoft via BleepingComputer

• By indospot
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 21382 with HDR improvements for Photoshop
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft has released another weekly build of Windows 10 to Insiders enrolled in the Dev channel, this time bringing the build number up to 21382. As per usual, this build comes from the co_release branch, not the rs_prerelease branch, and it's part of a future Windows update, not the upcoming version 21H1 that's already available in the Beta and Release Preview channels.

Much like other recent builds, there isn't a whole lot that's new in this release, but there is an improvement that's likely to be welcomed by creative professionals. Apps that use ICC display color profiles will now be able to use the full color gamut of HDR displays and retain color accuracy:

That's pretty much it in terms of new features, but there are some other changes and improvements, like the new Segoe UI Variable font now being available on the touch keyboard:

Of course, the build also comes with the usual array of bug fixes:

And finally, there are still some known issues in this build, though the list has been shrinking significantly with the past few builds. Here's what you need to look out for:

On that note, Microsoft announced earlier this week that it's bringing back its Bug Bash events, so if you'd like to help improve the quality of the next Windows 10 release, you may want to file any issues you find during this period. There are also a number of quests available in the Feedback Hub to help users find specific issues Microsoft may be looking for. The event has already started and it will last until May 17.

• By Steven P.
      Microsoft PowerToys version 0.37.2 fixes explorer.exe freezing and more
      by Steven Parker

Almost two weeks ago, Microsoft released PowerToys version 0.37 that brought with it a bunch of improvements to the suite of tools, removing the legacy settings app and moving the Keyboard Manager into an independent process as well as the ongoing process to ready the Video Conference Mute tool for a stable release. Today, the firm is releasing a minor update to fix a few issues in the tools, bumping up the version to 0.37.2.

The company says that the patch aims to fix two regression bugs in 0.37.0 they deemed important for stability based on user feedback.

Here is the complete list of fixes (it's a short one), along with links to the corresponding issue trackers:

PowerRename is a Bulk Renaming tool for Windows 10 If you want the Video Conference Mute utility, you'll need to install the experimental version which was released in the middle of April.

As usual, this release can be downloaded from the GitHub page here, or directly through the tool. It must be noted, however, that users running the experimental version will not receive this update. The next release for those users will contain all the fixes made to the tools in version 0.37.2.

• By indospot
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 builds 19042.985, 18363.1556 - here's what's new
      by João Carrasqueira

Yet another month has passed, and Microsoft is once again releasing its set of Patch Tuesday updates for all supported versions of Windows, including a multitude of Windows 10 versions. For regular users with Windows 10 Home or Pro, only versions 20H2, 2004, and 1909 are getting updates today, and even then, support for version 1909 ends today, so this is the last update you'll get unless you have an Enterprise or Education SKU.

For Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2, the cumulative update is the same, and it's labeled KB5003173, which you can download manually here. This will bring the build number up to 19041.985 and 19042.985, depending on which version you have, and it includes these highlights:

The full list of fixes is below:

If you're still using Windows 10 version 1909, this is the last update you'll get if you have Windows 10 Home or Pro, and you may want to consider upgrading to a newer version to stay secure going forward. The update is KB5003169 and it brings the build number up to 18363.1556. You can download it manually here, and the highlights of the update are:

And here are the additional fixes and improvements included:

Finally, there are a bunch of updates for versions of Windows 10 that are only supported in specific SKUs or servicing channels. Here's a quick rundown of everything else being released today:

Version KB Build Download Support 1809 KB5003171 17763.1935

Update Catalog Enterprise and Education SKUs 1803 KB5003174 17134.2208

Update Catalog 1607 KB5003197 14393.4402

Update Catalog Long-Term Servicing Branch 1507 KB5003172 10240.18932

Update Catalog For Windows 10 versions 1803 and 1809, these are also the final updates for Enterprise and Education SKUs. Version 1809, however, will live on in the Long-Term Servicing Channel alongside the other two LTSB releases.

As usual, these updates are mandatory and they'll be installed automatically sooner or later. You can download them manually using the links above to avoid surprises.

• By Abhay V
      Three Windows 10 versions reach the end of support today, albeit with some caveats
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Every second Tuesday of the month, Microsoft releases cumulative updates for all support Windows versions. Today, three versions are reaching the end of support in some form – versions 1909, 1809, and 1803 –, with version 1803 reaching the end of its life, meaning it will be receiving its final cumulative update and will cease to be supported for all users. The October 2018 Update (version 1809) is still supported for Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) customers and the November 2019 Update (1909) will continue being supported for Enterprise, Education, IoT Enterprise customers till May 2022.

The reason for multiple Windows 10 versions released across a span of two years reaching the end of support on the same day is that Microsoft extended support for version 1803 by six months for Education and Enterprise customers last year due to the pandemic. Therefore, while support for consumer SKUs ended in November 2019, the end of support date for Enterprise and Education SKUs – that enjoyed 30 months of support back then – was pushed from November 2020 to May 2021.

This coincided with the end of support date for version 1809, which was also supported till May 2021. With this version, Microsoft also changed how Enterprise and Education SKUs of the OS were supported. All versions released in the spring – such as version 1903 – began being supported for 18 months, which is why version 1903 (Windows 10 May 2019 Update) reached the end of support before version 1803 did.

Lastly, Windows 10 Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations users running version 1909 (November 2019 Update) that was released in the fall of 2019 will no longer receive updates after today. However, Enterprise and Education customers will continue receiving updates till May 2022, thanks to the additional year of support for fall releases. Currently, an estimated 11% of PCs running Windows 10 are on this version, so it is best for those users to move to a newer version of the OS to continue receiving updates.

Another interesting fact is that after today, the two Windows 10 versions supported for consumers – version 2004 and 20H2 – will be serviced with the same cumulative updates since version 20H2 was nothing but an enablement package that lit up new features hidden in version 2004. Additionally, when Windows 10 version 21H1 (May 2021 Update - which is another enablement package), makes it to the public, all three supported versions will receive the same patches, which is a first for the OS.