I've upgraded 7 machines to Windows 10. How many have you?

DefyTheOutcome

Two machines, both clean install

- The Home Desktop at home: the only thing missing is some sort of IR remote control driver I did not even know exist and I really do not care about.

- The workstation at work: still a few things missing but system is operational and I barely see the difference in my daily routine

madd-hatter

People who adapt new technologies usually get burned. I'm in no rush.

BoondockSaint

I took the plunge today and upgraded my work/games machine. I had one of those accidental purchases... walking past a computer shop and got tempted into getting a better SSD than my current one. That was as good excuse as any to move that machine over.

Upgraded, then clean installed. So far, everything is running very smoothly. That makes all 3 of my machines upgraded.

freak180

pfff. Keep on living in fear

ZakO

Four. No problems with any of them so far, I did a fresh install after upgrade on all but one. 

> New Desktop (z97 - 4790k), old desktop (p45 - Q9550), rMBP, old laptop

+xrobwx71

3 desktops at work and 1 @ home. No issues to speak of. Upgraded these all on July 30th with the media creation tool.

PGHammer

Zero, One got "upgraded" but was quickly restored to it's original 7 and all the other machines got their updates cancelled.

Okay - what happened?  Hardware issues, application issues or comfort/user-related issues?  I don't ding or criticize because of user-comfort-related issues - that sort of thing has happened.  I personally reported one hardware ding - on my oldest notebook - however, the ding is not damaging enough to force a rollback.  However, the application/software issues - including incompabilities - need disclosure, so they can be addressed by whoever needs to.

techbeck

Upgraded a SP1 and SP2.  Was surprised that their were drivers Win10 couldnt install and that Windows Update did not have them either.  Had to DL the Win10 drivers from MS and update them manually.   Also, the SP1 had my works custom software load and Win10 would not upgrade until I set the tablet back to factory defaults.

adrynalyne

How is that abacus treating you?

DavidM

Okay - what happened?  Hardware issues, application issues or comfort/user-related issues?  I don't ding or criticize because of user-comfort-related issues - that sort of thing has happened.  I personally reported one hardware ding - on my oldest notebook - however, the ding is not damaging enough to force a rollback.  However, the application/software issues - including incompabilities - need disclosure, so they can be addressed by whoever needs to.

Windows 10 happened, between the privacy issues, forced updates, crappy start menu, p2p updates, the new tos that allows Microsoft to stop me from using any software they decide is "not legal" and their ability to break "unauthorized devices" any time they see fit. I think that's about it... no wait it's freaking ugly, it looks like a bad implementation of the Windows 3.1 theme. That start menu is a joke, so many design failures in such a small space, it boggles my mind. I can't believe that is the best they can do, are they even trying?

I thought they were serious about making the desktop their primary target, but nope, they keep on smashing their tablet ui into the desktop and coming up empty. I know they felt rushed, Win 8/8.1 was not going to be adopted like Win 7 was, and they realized they needed to fix it asap, but Win 10 is not the answer, and is a startling experience for anyone not following the development. Going from Aero to 10's "theme" is a truly harsh experience, my wife thought the install had broke when she saw the desktop finally boot up. She honestly ask, "Is it supposed to look like that?" I just shook my head and said yes.

TLDR; I think Microsoft rushed a product out to try and remove the stain that was Win 8/8.1 and failed.

madd-hatter

Reasonable response.

/s

adrynalyne

Reasonable response.

/s

Thee is nothing wrong with being a luddite.

Kudo

1 desktop and 1 laptop.

sinetheo

Sticking with 8.1. I tried to put my main rig on 10 and WOW was it not ready. Very buggy and no placeholders for Onedrive on my limited SSD where I would copy is a no go. I can't change the color of the title bars. Edge is not ready and I am sure I would find other reasons.

I want to type a new one asking "Any holdouts sticking witih 8.1"? But that would get quite ugly here FAST. If it aint broke don't fix it seems to increase as us users get older. I want to try 10 but man I am dissapointed in the QA. Since MS laid off their QA and only focus on feedback and usage scenarios it showed.

I will probably upgrade next year when it is ready. It took XP a few years to be ready for the desktop

sinetheo

Thee is nothing wrong with being a luddite.

1 desktop and 1 laptop.

Funny one of my senior techs at worik has a dad who loves XP as the BEST OS EVER! He won't leave it and will fight and die protecting his Pentium IV with 512 megs of ram from the horrors of 7 and ribbons. What he has works so why should he change?

Oh but but it is out of date?! So what is wrong with an abacus? It works and some users have work to do and do not have time to have a whitish titlebar and unflexible buggy OS that is not finished yet when they have work to get done. Their phones on the other hand is what needs to be new with a higher priority. Face it the PC is now the mainframe in terms of excitement and is old crud and legacy for work. We love operating systems but I see nothing wrong with sticking with 8.1 until the 1st 2 updates are out to put placeholders back in Onedrive, add extensions in Edge, fix grpahical problems in ATI and Nvidia systems, have universal apps ready, colors again in Office 2016, and have all their printers, cams, and other devices ported over, and more importantly JUST WORK!

Mockingbird

I've upgraded 999,999,993 PCs to Windows 10, therefore there must be at least a billion devices running Windows 10.

Is Microsoft going to throw a party?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Acer announces new ENDURO Urban laptop and tablet
      by Rich Woods

ENDURO Urban T1 Today, Acer is announcing an extension of its ENDURO brand, which is for rugged devices, called ENDURO Urban. It's made for "work and play while on or off the road", and it includes things like IP53 and MIL-STD-810H certifications. With the announcement comes two new devices, the ENDURO Urban T1 and the ENDURO Urban N3.

First up is the T1, which is a 10-inch Android tablet that comes with Android 10 Go edition, a quad-core processor, and 1920x1200 resolution. It weighs in at 595g or 1.31 pounds, and it's 9.8mm thin, impressive specs for something that's designed to be more rugged than the average tablet. Indeed, it's made from shock-absorbant materials and has reinforced bumpers, along with covers for the ports to keep them waterproof.

ENDURO Urban N3 Next up is the ENDURO Urban N3, which is a 14-inch laptop that follows that same kind of design strategy with a rugged design and reinforced bumpers while still not turning it into a big and bulky machine. It's 1.85kg (4.08lbs) and 21.95mm thick, and it includes up to an 11th-gen Intel Core i7 processor and Nvidia GeForce MX330 graphics. You can also have it configured with up to a 1TB SSD and 32GB DDR4 memory.

You can find the ENDURO Urban T1 here and the ENDURO Urban N3 here. The N3 starts at $799, but the T1 doesn't seem to be for sale just yet.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Mouth-watering user concept of Windows 10 File Explorer has Reddit salivating
      by Usama Jawad

File Explorer in Windows 10 is an essential program that is widely utilized by users of the operating system. While Microsoft updates it from time to time, the changes are usually minor, and related to icon redesigns. This is probably why user concepts of File Explorer surface frequently, re-imagining what the program could look like, should Microsoft decide to fully redesign it at some point.

Today, we are taking a look at a new and sleek user concept for File Explorer created by Reddit user u/Alur2020 that has hundreds of users salivating on the Reddit thread. Have a look below.

Click to enlarge The first of two images for the design presents a sleek File Explorer that embraces Fluent Design concepts while maintaining a minimalist look. Key points include the usage of new icons, as well as tags in the pane on the left. As can be seen, this can be utilized to mark and color-code your files and folders, making them easier to spot and presumably, group.

Similarly, another noticeable feature is the addition of tabs, which not only enhances productivity-focused scenarios but also gives it a more browser-based feel which most users will be comfortable with adapting to. It is important to note that Microsoft announced Sets back in 2017, which was supposed to be a new idea for tabbed interfaces in Windows 10. However, the project was shelved in 2019 and doesn't seem to be a part of the Sun Valley update for the operating system later this year eithertoo, based on current information.

Other interesting tidbits include minimalist icons, as well as the settings and profile buttons on the top. Overall, the look is familiar but enhanced to increase productivity and general sleekness.

Click to enlarge The second image deals with the UI you get when you open a folder. As can be seen, clicking on an item opens the options at the top where the user can decide what they want to do it with it. This uses the same minimalist icon design seen in the pane on the left.

Talking about the pane on the left, perhaps the most noticeable thing is nested folders. Essentially, users can click on a folder and get a view of the children folders in it. This is especially beneficial if you want to quickly shift between nested folders without having to go back to the root directory again and again.

Overall, the File Explorer user concept has received extremely positive response on Reddit with most lauding it as the best design that they have seen so far. With over 1,500 upvotes so far, many have also directed praise at how organized it looks and is not "blown up". Minor nitpicking is aimed at keeping the settings and profile buttons too close to the minimize button, but feedback has been generally positive and constructive so far.

It is important to note that while this is a user concept, it would be interesting to see if Microsoft takes inspiration from it and implement some of these features and UI enhancements at some point in the future, especially given the positive feedback seen so far.

• By indospot
      Microsoft is winding down another Windows 10 feature, the Timeline [Update]
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft seems to be winding down on yet another Windows 10 feature that it made a big deal out of a few years ago. The company released a new Windows 10 build to Insiders in the Dev channel today, and with it came the announcement that it will no longer be possible to upload Timeline data from a Windows 10 PC, meaning it won't be accessible on other devices.

The Windows Timeline feature was introduced about four years ago at Build 2017, though it wasn't until the following year that the feature would ship in a feature update for Windows 10. Timeline was a pretty significant change, as it let you access your recently open files and websites from the past 30 days, including the ability to sync that history across devices. Microsoft even brought the Timeline to smartphones some time later, emphasizing the focus on continuity between devices.

However, things went pretty quiet after that, and the writing has been on the wall for some time when it comes to Timeline. In November of last year, the Timeline section was removed from the Microsoft Launcher preview, which was the only endpoint for the feature on Android.

With today's Insider build, Microsoft's focus on continuity between devices seems to grow even weaker, though Microsoft correctly points out that many browsers already offer features like history and open tabs syncing, including its Chromium-based Edge browser. Recent Office files can also be found in the Office and OneDrive apps on different devices, but Microsoft is shying away from the all-encompassing implementation it had before.

To be clear, your recent files and tabs on your current device will still be listed in the Timeline interface, at least for now. Microsoft hasn't outright said that it's discontinuing the feature, either, it just won't be able to sync across devices.

The situation bears some resemblance to what's happening with the focus on 3D in Windows 10. Around 2017, Microsoft introduced the Paint 3D app and wanted it to be the one-stop-shop for 3D creation, but the app was recently removed from new installations of Windows 10 for Insiders, and the 3D Objects folder was also removed from File Explorer.

Update: Microsoft has updated the blog post for the latest Insider build to clarify the Timeline continues to be active in Windows 10 and local activity history remains. Only cross-device syncing is being removed, as we originally noted.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 21359 to the Dev channel
      by Rich Woods

Right on schedule, Microsoft today released Windows 10 Insider Preview build 21359. You might recall that last week, the firm switched over to the co_release branch, so unsurprisingly, there isn't much in the way of new features in this build.

There are some minor things though. For one thing, there's a new option to restart apps after signing in, which will appear in the Power menu. Also, you can't upload new activity to Timeline anymore, so you'll need to use OneDrive or Office to view recent files; indeed, Microsoft seems to be killing off Timeline.

Update: Microsoft has reached out and confirmed that it is not, in fact, killing off Timeline in Windows. What's going away is the ability to sync it across devices.

Here's the full list of changes and improvements:

As always, there are a whole bunch of fixes and some known issues. Here's the full list of fixes:

Finally, here's what's still broken:

As always, you can grab the build through Windows Update. If you're not on the Dev channel yet, you can enroll via the Windows Insider Program tab in Settings.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 builds 19042.928, 18363.1500 - here's what's new
      by Rich Woods

Today is Patch Tuesday, meaning that it's the second Tuesday of the month and that it's time for Microsoft to push out a ton of updates. Indeed, every supported version of Windows 10 is getting a cumulative update, and for consumers, that includes versions 1909 and above.

If you're on one of the newest two versions, 20H2 or 2004, you're going to get KB5001330, bringing the build number to 19042.928 or 19041.928, respectively. You can manually download it here, and these are the highlights:

Here's the full changelog:

If you're still on Windows 10 version 1909, which is only supported for another month, you'll get KB5001337, bringing the build number to 18363.1500. You can manually download it here, and these are the highlights:

Here's the full list of fixes:

Finally, there are a bunch of versions of Windows 10 that are no longer supported for consumers, but are still supported for other use cases. Those got updates too.

Version KB Build Download Support 1809 KB5001342

17763.1879 Update Catalog Enterprise and Education SKUs 1803 KB5001339

17134.2145 Update Catalog 1607 KB5001347

14393.4350 Update Catalog Long-Term Servicing Branch 1507 KB5001340

10240.18906 Update Catalog
      As always, these updates are mandatory, meaning that if you don't install them now, they'll be installed automatically.