Unable to activate Windows 10 after Clean install or Reset

Hey everyone,

I have tried to no avail for the last two days to do a clean install of Windows 10, I'm a Windows Insider and my 10 install updated with no problems to the RTM build and was fully activated, however I wanted to do a clean install since I have had this install for over 4 years already, plus with all the Insider build upgrades I decided it was time to start fresh, however I'm being unable to to get Windows to activate after doing the clean install.

I have attempted doing this by using:

1-) The "Reset" feature built in Windows

2-) By using the "Reset" feature with the DVD media created with Microsoft Upgrade Tool 

3-) By just selecting to "Remove everything" option using the Microsoft Tool above without using a DVD or USB media.

4-) By doing a clean install and inputting my Windows 8 Product Key before or after install.

None of the above methods give me an activated version of Windows 10, If I use the "Reset" feature within Windows it never finishes the install and it gets stuck in the screen that asks you to select language, time etc, I even left it all night and it won't pass that screen, if I use the other methods it works but Windows won't activate and complains my key has been blocked (but this is my legit Windows 8 key that came with the PC when I bought it) additionally I receive the following error messages:

Any ideas what might be wrong? Do I just need to wait and it might get activated later on by itself?

Error1.png

Error2.png

My guess would be that it's treating you as having upgraded from an insider build, I'll wager you'll probably have to reinstall 8 then do an upgrade for it to properly activate.

I've found the best option is to install a barebones OS, fully updated but no software / drivers, then when you upgrade select "keep nothing". It's as good as a clean install, then you can use disk cleanup to get rid of the old Windows installation.

Thanks to Microsoft's annoyingly convoluted upgrade process, I think that reinstalling 8.1 then upgrading is your only option. Because you upgraded from an insider build, it probably doesn't realise that your machine qualifies for the free upgrade.

I just realized because of another member who also posted the EXACT same issue as me that his product key is the same key as mine, so my machine no longer had my Windows 8.1 key but the insider key that was shared among every insider (I believe) this is a pain :-) I guess you are right, I might need to install Windows 8 again and then upgrade/reset from there, what a pain!

You should only have to do that once, I upgraded mine, then I did a clean install and it activated itself when I went online. It's certainly a nuisance.

It's really is a nuisance, thanks God I still have backups of my original Windows 8 install, gonna do this now and see if it works, thanks javik.

If you have a Win10 installation associated to your Microsoft Account then you don't need to enter any key to activate.

Yesterday I decided to do a clean Windows 10 Pro install. I made a Win10 bootable USB using the Microsoft 'MediaCreationToolx64' tool. I booted from it, wiped my SSD, skipped the license key entry setup and booted into Win10 unactivated. I signed into my Microsoft Account and Windows 10 is now activated.

Capture1.thumb.PNG.162fe3881780bbe7c0932

Within your Microsoft Account, under devices, you should have a Windows 10 device attached to your account.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.5a7420988f04bc7b23dd1

Hey ManMountain, I tried that method too, I did not enter any key and just chose to skip the step, it picked that product key by itself, and yes I also entered my MS credentials, still same thing, thanks a lot though.