X1 Kinect keeps on turning off

Past month or so, my kinect for my X1 keeps turning off.  Icon appears top right of the screen and says it is disconnected.  Have to unplug the power brick in order to get it working.  And it works fine but it will eventually turn itself off again.  Been reading that the kinect is bad and if I have to buy  new one, so be it.  But curious if anyone else has had the issue.  Pretty sure my X1 is out of warranty is it is a day one edition.

Think I got this fixed.  Read some place that the X1 should not be plugged in to a surge protector since it acts as its own.  Apparently the kinect was not getting enough power or had issues via the surge protector.  So I plugged the X1 in independently from any powers trip and has remained on for a week without turning off.  What was odd was that I had it plugged in to a surge protector since the day I got it (I have day one edition) and never had a problem until a month ago.

Anyway, just an update in case anyone else has similar issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Kinect worked for a week or so and doing the same damn thing.  I even watched the Kinect power off (lights went out) and then come back on over and over.  Then then the lights seem to go off all together and will not come back on until I do a hard reset. Seems to be a well known issue with the X1.  Of course, my warranty expired in February and it is going to cost me $70 to replace the Kinect.  Seems like if it was such a popular issue (tons of people posting about it over the years) they would extend the warranty of the Kinect or offer replacements for this kind if issue.  Little annoyed to say the least.

Glad i took the cheap 3yr warranty they offer can you still not do that, not sure of the cost in $?

Edit

Nope you can only get it at the time of purchase.

Edited by SnoopZ

Glad i took the cheap 3yr warranty they offer can you still not do that, not sure of the cost in $?

No idea.  Appears to be a really common issue. I dont use the connect much anyway but will probably spend the $70 and get it replaced.  Certified by MS and cheaper than ordering a new one which costs $150.  I am still looking online to see if there is a fix for it and trying a few more things.  X1 works fine otherwise, no issues.

I could be misunderstanding the issue but I am under the impression Kinect will turn itself off if it does not need to be on, and that the lights only come on when it is doing something that requires it to use the camera.
What I mean is my Kinect hardly ever looks like it is on but it always works, so I am actually wondering if it is not acting like it is supposed too?

I could be misunderstanding the issue but I am under the impression Kinect will turn itself off if it does not need to be on, and that the lights only come on when it is doing something that requires it to use the camera.
What I mean is my Kinect hardly ever looks like it is on but it always works, so I am actually wondering if it is not acting like it is supposed too?

Not my issue.  go to settings/kinect and it actually says disconnected and will not turn on unless I do a hard reset.  I even watched the lights go on, off, on off, several times in a row.  When it does work, for short periods of time, it is fully functional.

I remember mine going off once and doing a hard reset of the console fixed it. (hold the power button for 10 seconds).

Did that already.  A lot of users have tried that and it fixes it for some but for most, it is only a short term fix.  They had to get their kinect replaced.

I would try contacting MS and see what they say, if you kick up a fuss they may fix it for free.

My Kinect light is always on.

I would try contacting MS and see what they say, if you kick up a fuss they may fix it for free.

Already contacted them via online support.  Warranty expired in February and made a little fuss with no luck.

There's a little cooling fan in the back of it, and the Kinect gets quite warm. If the fan or temperature sensor have failed it'll turn off either when it's hot, or whether it's cold, depending on if the temperature sensor is an NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) or PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) type.

It seems to be a temperature issue as you say its light stays on, it might be throttling into low power protection mode. Can you verify for me whether the fan runs, and how warm it gets where the fan vent is after it has warmed up?

There's a little cooling fan in the back of it, and the Kinect gets quite warm. If the fan or temperature sensor have failed it'll turn off either when it's hot, or whether it's cold, depending on if the temperature sensor is an NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) or PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) type.

It seems to be a temperature issue as you say its light stays on. Can you verify for me whether the fan runs, and how warm it gets where the fan vent is after it has warmed up?

Lights dont stay on.  They go off.  I have watched the lights go on/off and cycle like that a few times in a row as well.  I will see about the fan and let you know.  Didnt think it had a fan in the back but I really didn't pay much attention to it.

I am almost positive that when my XBox is in Standby Mode and I use my Voice to turn it on by saying "XBox On," that the white light on my Kinect is not on until the console actually comes on. But I will check to see if somehow it is on and I just never noticed.

That is besides the fact though, as I was referring to the red lights that come on as the OP kept referring to lights (plural), and not light (singular). I was saying I hardly ever see all of the lights lit up and that was in fact normal.

I am almost positive that when my XBox is in Standby Mode and I use my Voice to turn it on by saying "XBox On," that the white light on my Kinect is not on until the console actually comes on. But I will check to see if somehow it is on and I just never noticed.

That is besides the fact though, as I was referring to the red lights that come on as the OP kept referring to lights (plural), and not light (singular). I was saying I hardly ever see all of the lights lit up and that was in fact normal.

Mine did the same thing.  Turned off when the console was in standby.  Always did that but this is a bigger issue.  The console does not even see the connect attached.

Lights dont stay on.  They go off.  I have watched the lights go on/off and cycle like that a few times in a row as well.  I will see about the fan and let you know.  Didnt think it had a fan in the back but I really didn't pay much attention to it.

Sorry, techbeck, it wasn't you that said the light stayed on, my mistake. If it isn't a temperature problem it's likely an internal power regulator problem in the Kinect, or the console supply port for it. Hard to pinpoint unless I was with you and could use my multimeter.

Well it does go off when the Xbox is off (the white light), i thought you were talking about it not being on when the Xbox was on. :)

Sorry, techbeck, it wasn't you that said the light stayed on, my mistake. If it isn't a temperature problem it's likely an internal power regulator problem. Hard to pinpoint unless I was with you

I see the fan now and will check next time I hard reset my console to see if that even spins up.  If the fan does not work, then could explain why it is turning off and probably overheating like you said.  It worked longer after a hard reset a few months ago but that was when we were having cooler weather and was cooler inside.  Either case,  I will probably have to spend the $70 and get it replaced.

I see the fan now and will check next time I hard reset my console to see if that even spins up.

I just checked on mine, it should only spin once the Kinect gets warm. If it's stopped when cold that's not a fault. Don't pay for a new Kinect, have your current one fixed, it keeps stuff out of landfill, and the fan is only tiny. Have the temperature sensor checked too.

ahh, ok. Makes sense. Thanks. 

If you suck relatively hard where the fan is it should spin if you pull it away from your face quickly to rule out a seized fan. Haha, me and my logical diagnostics :)

If you suck relatively hard where the fan is it should spin if you pull it away from your face quickly. Haha, me and my logical diagnostics :)

I blew in the back and the fan turns freely.  So the fan is not stuck or anything.

I blew in the back and the fan turns freely.  So the fan is not stuck or anything.

So, it isn't seized completely. Let it warm up, and see if the fan spins without any grinding noises. If it does it's something deeper in the electronics. Have you verified if another Kinect sensor works on the same console?

So, it isn't seized completely. Let it warm up, and see if the fan spins without any grinding noises. If it does it's something deeper in the electronics. Have you verified if another Kinect sensor works on the same console?

Wish I had someone close to test another Kinect on.  But I dont so that is not an option.  Unless you want to send me yours  :p

Wish I had someone close to test another Kinect on.  But I dont so that is not an option.  Unless you want to send me yours  :p

So that narrows it down to these things:

A. A fan in the Kinect that isn't spinning fast enough or even at all if it isn't getting power when triggered by the temperature system, if that is even working.

B. A Kinect internal power regulator issue/fault with its other control electronics

C. Something wrong with the supply voltage and data bus on the dedicated Kinect port from the Xbox One. This we can't test for as you don't have another known working Kinect to test on your console, but is a possibility.

Ah, I love this job :)

C. Something wrong with the supply voltage and data bus on the dedicated Kinect port from the Xbox One. This we can't test for as you don't have another known working Kinect to test on your console, but is a possibility.

From all the things I have been reading, it never had been the console that was the problem.  Of course, I could be one of the lucky ones.  But people are reporting issue is fixed when they get a new one. 

I tend to lean towards the kinect as having the problem since voice commands have been hit/miss the past couple years or so.  Saying "XBOX ON" could take a few tries and a second for the kinect to kick on and recognize the command.  Or pausing/playing moves..  Then a few months ago, it started just powering down/disconnecting.