Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

MikeChipshop

Looks pretty nice. Quite Ethan Carter like.

soniqstylz

First review I've seen: 10/10

http://www.psnation.com/2015/08/10/review-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-ps4/

Conclusion:
I would sometimes realize that my mouth was hanging open in surprise but the surprise was never jarring. It was as if, while peeling an onion, you might find a pearl! How is that possible?! Onions don’t produce pearls! This one does. And not did just my mouth hang open but I began to weep without crying and without truly understanding why.

There has never been gaming entertainment like this. It connects the deepest emotions with the highest emotions. Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture is miraculous. It is Rapturous.

+E.Worm Jimmy

considering i did not like ethan carter, liked gone home,  though the machine for pigs was underwhelming, i have no idea what this experience will be like.

but since i don't know a ps4 at the moment (and not till closer to xmas, most likely) i am sure a more general reviews / user opinions will start pouring in, so i will know better.

soniqstylz

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/10/9120119/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-review-ps4-playstation-4-chinese-room

7/10 

It's a bit surprising that a game where you literally never see another person has the most humanity of anything I've played this year. And that makes it all the more unfortunate that a few of the design choices — the walking speed in particular — pushed me away and weakened my experience. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has some incredible, down-to-earth stories to share, emotional stuff that transcends its end-of-the-world scenario. But, not unlike any of the game's characters, you'll have to see past its flaws before you can learn to love it.

http://www.gamesradar.com/everybodys-gone-rapture-review/

4.5/5

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-review/

7.5/10

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-review/1900-6416215/

9/10

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/everybodys_gone_to_the_rapture/b/playstation4/archive/2015/08/10/follow-the-leader-through-a-placid-apocalypse.aspx

7/10

I enjoyed the interactions between the identical glowing ghosts, but trying to remember characters by the names they call one another or faint differences in their English accents is confusing. Playing with subtitles on and diligently reading them is practically required to understand the abstract storytelling.

I enjoyed the general vibe of Rapture's striking apocalyptic tale and the well-performed character interactions therein, but the story left a sour taste in my mouth in the final stretch. A pretentious, musing monologue attempts to tie the mysterious happenings together with all the subtlety of a high school poetry jam.

The Chinese Room has crafted another unique experiment that proudly stands out from the gaming norm, now with the improved graphical horsepower of the PS4. Despite the prettier locales and solid attempt to break out of the linear mold, Rapture simply doesn't feel rewarding when straying from the glowing golden path.

To me it seems the best summary is, "If you liked Journey, you'll like this".

soniqstylz

15 minutes of game play I recorded this morning

+Anarkii

I am an admin on one of (if not the biggest) PlayStation group on Facebook and all I can see from the members is...
"It looks beautiful. But I got N.F.I. what the game is about."

• Like 2
+Audioboxer

I am an admin on one of (if not the biggest) PlayStation group on Facebook and all I can see from the members is...
"It looks beautiful. But I got N.F.I. what the game is about."

England is invaded by zombies and it's a walking simulator to travel north up to Scotland.

• Like 2
+Anarkii

hahaha brilliant! I'm going to use that quote :p

• Like 1
Skiver

Some of those reviews, wow! Even when it's not getting a top score. Some of the ways it's being described makes it sound truly beautiful.

That soundtrack too, OMG! 

• Like 1
soniqstylz

Yeah the soundtrack really does it for me.  For the record, I'm probably over halfway through and haven't gotten one trophy yet.

soniqstylz

For the record, holding R2 for a moment let's you run.  It wasn't announced until this afternoon

soniqstylz

Here's my review:

http://www.soniqstylz.com/2015/08/11/way-too-on-time-review-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture/

Obviously this game isn’t for everyone — some people won’t like the setting; the lack of platforming or combat or puzzles or driving; the slow pace of the walking (there’s a “run” button that’s hidden [hold in R2] but I would classify it more as a “walk briskly” button).  But if you’re looking for something at a relaxing pace, something to play later in the evening or with other people watching, this is it.  I can’t recommend it enough.

For the trophy hunters out there, just play the game through at least once not worrying about trophies.  I ended up getting only four out of nineteen my first full playthrough, and I think three of them were only because I peeked at the trophy list.  Just sit back and enjoy the story, come back for a second playthrough for the rest.

• Like 1
+Anarkii

nice review Sonic. You just sold me on downloading the game :) If its crap im blaming you and your review lol

• Like 1
soniqstylz

Hey, I at least provided unedited game play to help your decision :p

• Like 1
DirtyLarry

I already picked up N++ so I almost picked this game up instead of Galak-Z for the PLAY promotion. 
I am very glad I did not. Everything I read, and watching the video posted above, it is just no longer my cup of tea.
It probably once would have been actually, 10 years ago I would have really enjoyed it as I had much more free time at the age of 30 than I now have at 40.
With that said I 110% support the existence of such a game, and also hope it does well in sales.
I do believe this game needs to exist in order to keep things interesting.
If it ever hits Playstation + I will check it out.
I also keep reading it may have Morpheus support.
Considering I like gadgets and am very interested in VR, I will probably pick up Morpheus as long as it is not too overpriced. So if this game does support it, I can see it being very interesting then.

soniqstylz

I already picked up N++ so I almost picked this game up instead of Galak-Z for the PLAY promotion. 
I am very glad I did not. Everything I read, and watching the video posted above, it is just no longer my cup of tea.
It probably once would have been actually, 10 years ago I would have really enjoyed it as I had much more free time at the age of 30 than I now have at 40.
With that said I 110% support the existence of such a game, and also hope it does well in sales.
I do believe this game needs to exist in order to keep things interesting.
If it ever hits Playstation + I will check it out.
I also keep reading it may have Morpheus support.
Considering I like gadgets and am very interested in VR, I will probably pick up Morpheus as long as it is not too overpriced. So if this game does support it, I can see it being very interesting then.

TBH, I'm 38 and it appeals to me more now than it would when I was 28.  No power-up collectibles or level  bosses or grinding for levels or "play on hard for the real experience"....    just six hours of "I'ma sit back and relax".

BUT, I posted that video as part of my review so anyone reading would get a real sense of it before jumping in.  Like I said, I know it's not for everyone, but I dug the ###### out it.

soniqstylz

The thread needs some balance.

Honestly, that's pretty ######ing sad that he couldn't find the ending.  It wasn't that hard if you half paid attention to the audio or stuff that the character Stephen is saying half the time.  Also, it's dark at that point -- you just look for some lights.

Luc2k

Honestly, that's pretty ######ing sad that he couldn't find the ending.  It wasn't that hard if you half paid attention to the audio or stuff that the character Stephen is saying half the time.  Also, it's dark at that point -- you just look for some lights.

If it wasn't a bug, then the fact he didn't find it engaging might have played a part.

Sadly, as with Dear Esther before it, I can’t find myself particularly invested in a vacuous empty space with disembodied voices telling snippets of vague story. The characters themselves may be heavily invested in their lives, but I, a disconnected observer, am not. There’s not enough history or flesh provided in Rapture‘s writing to make me want to listen.

DirtyLarry

TBH, I'm 38 and it appeals to me more now than it would when I was 28.  No power-up collectibles or level  bosses or grinding for levels or "play on hard for the real experience"....    just six hours of "I'ma sit back and relax".

BUT, I posted that video as part of my review so anyone reading would get a real sense of it before jumping in.  Like I said, I know it's not for everyone, but I dug the ###### out it.

Like I said it is not about the age but the limited time I have because of the age.
If I had more free time I would also play this. But since I only get to play about 2 to 4 hours on a normal week these days relaxing is the last thing I want. I want it to be exciting and chaotic and energetic as possible.
It is not because I am older I would not enjoy this. It is because I am older with limited time I choose not to play it. Really big difference.
Hell, I am still making my way through Bloodborne.

• Like 1
soniqstylz

Misinterpreted my friend.

Skiver

I've just finished watching a 4 hour play through of it. 

I've never had a reaction to a game like I have this one, and I wasn't even playing it. This was like a book, many times I was watching over the weekend I would say I really should stop and do something now, only to find myself still sat there 30 minutes later.

I absolutely get this is not going to be everyone's cup of tea but god I cannot praise the story of this game enough and as I've said above, The sound track is amazing and I will be buying it once pay day comes along. 

Oh, and @soniqstylz, nice review there, you should apply for a job at Neowin and get some gaming news back here!

• Like 1
Praetor

lol never heard of this game, i'm like MGSV:TPP and nothing more. But since there is alot of praise for this game, gonna watch a couple of YT videos to see what is the fuss...

soniqstylz

I've just finished watching a 4 hour play through of it. 

I've never had a reaction to a game like I have this one, and I wasn't even playing it. This was like a book, many times I was watching over the weekend I would say I really should stop and do something now, only to find myself still sat there 30 minutes later.

I absolutely get this is not going to be everyone's cup of tea but god I cannot praise the story of this game enough and as I've said above, The sound track is amazing and I will be buying it once pay day comes along. 

Oh, and @soniqstylz, nice review there, you should apply for a job at Neowin and get some gaming news back here!

1) wow, had no idea you could tag people on this board

2) thanks for the compliment.  I'm not steady enough in my writing or my gaming to get a job anywhere, but I appreciate the love :)