Edge Virus Warning!!

Everything has been working fine on my Windows 10 system until about an hour ago. I Googled how to cook italian sausage on the grill and clicked a link to a site describing how to best cook them. I immediately got the below garbage in my Edge window and a computer voice carrying on about calling a phone number to repair my computer. The only way for me to exit Edge is to force quit from task manager. I rebooted but still every time I open Edge now it just goes straight to this. How can I fix this short of clean installing Windows? I tried deleting my browsing history from Internet settings but it didn't solve anything.

bmeu.jpg

You had to have clicked something more then just browsing to a page. It probably asked to default your browser homepage or something and clicked yes without noticing.

Disconnect internet, launch edge, go change settings for homepage.

Also check your host file, it's probably hijacked.

Another option

Close Microsoft Edge Browser

Navigate to the following directory

C:\Users\<users>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_xxxxxx\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active

Delete everything on that directory

Open Microsoft Edge

• Like 2

You had to have clicked something more then just browsing to a page. It probably asked to default your browser homepage or something and clicked yes without noticing.

Not necessarily. There are many forms of malware that don't require interaction at all, other than visiting a webpage. I also reckon using a half-baked browser like Edge would only increase the chances of picking something up.

visit your nearest local windows service center huh... must be another of those Indian Windows scams... that's the only place I hear that term is from "windows support" centers in india trying to scam you...

and this would happen in any browser... they really need a way to stop scripts from running even when its a modal window..... chrome kinda help with a checkbox saying don't allow to make more popups but even that has been defeated already.....

and btw you can get this even from bad ads... I've seen it on a few legitimate large sites the ad provider somehow allowed a redirect call in an ad and redirected you to one of these sites......

Misleading title, this is not a virus/malware specifically designed for Edge nor is it a virus in the first place!

One problem with Edge is that if you close it improperly (e.g. task manager), it'll try to restore your last open tabs. This logic is completely backward. For example, if I went to website that had caused Edge to crash, I don't want Edge to open that page again. In your case you force Edge to close and now it keeps trying to restore that tab.

You would need to find a way to clear out your browsing history so that Edge stops opening that page.

• Like 2

Misleading? It is appearing when I open Edge. I can't access anything in Edge to change settings because that grey window has focus. The only thing I can do is force quit it. Literally all I did was navigate to a web page from a Google search,

Another option

Close Microsoft Edge Browser

Navigate to the following directory

C:\Users\<users>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_xxxxxx\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active

Delete everything on that directory

Open Microsoft Edge

You're the man, got Edge working again! Do I in fact have a virus still though? I did a scan with Defender and it didn't find anything.

You're the man, got Edge working again! Do I in fact have a virus still though? I did a scan with Defender and it didn't find anything.

Defender wouldnt find much....download some malware scanners just to be safe. Malwarebytes, superantispyware to name a couple

I'd run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware or something to verify it's all clean.

(Y)

I'd run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware or something to verify it's all clean.

Will do. Installing Malwarebytes right now.

I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade your protection to something more than Defender.

I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade your protection to something more than Defender.

I guess so. I've used Bit Defender in the past but people seemed to be praising Defender as the best solution so I've been using it. It is what used to be MSE right?

I guess so. I've used Bit Defender in the past but people seemed to be praising Defender as the best solution so I've been using it. It is what used to be MSE right?

Pretty much the same...and rated pretty much the worse AV program out there for detection/protection rates.  BitDefender rated the highest.

It is what used to be MSE right?

Yes, and it's fine. You haven't caught anything except a bit of a headache.

If you feel the need to pay for a solution, I'd recommend ESET's Nod32.

• Like 2

It's highly likely that this was not a virus at all, but rather a cleverly crafted website with a javascript prompt that wont go away, scary looking background image and a voiceover message. As others have said, if you kill edge, it'll restore the pages you had open the next time it runs.

What Chrome does, which Edge should adopt as well, is to add a checkbox to javascript boxes called "prevent this site from displaying further messages". That way you could tick that, press OK and then close the tab.

One thing I'm unclear on with Edge though... being essentially a Metro app, is it even possible to contract a virus through it, or for it to modify your hosts file? I thought all "metro" apps were sandboxed. Also without it being elevated (can you even elevate a metro app?), it wouldn't have rights to change any files within the windows or program files folders.

• Like 3

It's highly likely that this was not a virus at all, but rather a cleverly crafted website with a javascript prompt that wont go away,

That's exactly what it is. That "bsod-test-result.info" is the site in question... just a nuisance and a very old scam.

Defender is fine if your system is up to date. I've been running only it for years and never had a virus.

Just for giggles I visited that website, got the same "message".

Killed edge with task manager, when I restarted it, it tried to open the last tabs I had open so I got the message again.  Third time it loaded my home page. It's just a dumb site trying to trick people into giving them their credit card info.

You probably have edge set to reopen the previous tabs. Since that was the previous tab, it kept coming up. 

Edge is sandboxed, pretty much the only way you could get a virus using it is if you downloaded something and opened it, allowing it out of the sandbox. 

Even though I have Edge working again, I am using the new Firefox and it's pretty nice.

Misleading? It is appearing when I open Edge. I can't access anything in Edge to change settings because that grey window has focus. The only thing I can do is force quit it. Literally all I did was navigate to a web page from a Google search,

Yes, your post is misleading. This is not a virus, nor exactly malware either. It's just a site that blocks user interaction and is designed to look scary. Sure, Edge should detect scripts that try to create a dialog loop and such and cancel rendering.
It is highly unlikely that someone has managed to crack the app container sandbox of Windows 10 this quickly.

It's easy to fix this problem though. Force close Edge. Deactivate the internet connection. Open Edge again. It should go to the connection error page, allowing you to put in another address. Activate the internet connection again.

Anyone who praises Windows Defender or MSE is an idiot. A free AV like Avast or Bitdefender would be a worth while upgrade.