Using Custom Fonts in CSS

Question

I'm working on a web site, and the font I want to use isn't available. I can't seem to find one that looks similar to it.

I want to use Calibri Bold. Is there a website that tells you fonts that look similar?

IM_Navigation.thumb.png.5fc438db1079fa25

This is what I'm trying to replicate. I did a little research, and found this link to StackOverFlow, however I'm not sure WHERE to put part of the code..

@font-face {
    font-family: 'YourFontName'; /*a name to be used later*/
    src: url('http://domain.com/fonts/font.ttf'); /*URL to font*/
}

.classname {
    font-family: 'YourFontName';
}

Also, does it have to be a class or can it be used as an ID? I'm wondering where you put "@font-face " part, is it the CSS or HTML?

8 answers to this question

The code is CSS, put it in your style sheet file, ending with .css extension.

Yeah, I think it could be ID but I think you want to make font user over site rather than at only one place in the site, so I recommend using Class.

The code is CSS, put it in your style sheet file, ending with .css extension.

Yeah, I think it could be ID but I think you want to make font user over site rather than at only one place in the site, so I recommend using Class.

I've ran into some issues with it =/

Hades Project 

I had double css sheets, so I removed one, that had no code in it at all, and this error pops up =/

In both IE11 and Chromimum 46, your font is getting blocked due to Cross Origin Resource Sharing.
blocked.png

Read this awesome tutorial for using @font-face - https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/

I must just add that "Calibre" font is owned and licensed by Microsoft Corporation, you should opt for some else free fonts.

Edited by Zlip792

In both IE11 and Chromimum 46, your font is getting blocked due to Cross Origin Resource Sharing.
blocked.png

Read this awesome tutorial for using @font-face - https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/

I must just add that "Calibre" font is owned and licensed by Microsoft Corporation, you should opt for some else free fonts.

I'm wanting too. I was going to use the Font from Google's Font API Montserrat

I'm new to this whole deal, so I'm doing my best to learn.

Just use google webfonts, it's faster for the user too since they have the font cached in most cases. You can also select a fallback font by the way when Calibri is not installed:

font-family: Calibri, "web font";

Personally I always set sans-serif as fallback font so user will at least never get to see the horrible serif font.

Just use google webfonts, it's faster for the user too since they have the font cached in most cases. You can also select a fallback font by the way when Calibri is not installed:

font-family: Calibri, "web font";

Personally I always set sans-serif as fallback font so user will at least never get to see the horrible serif font.

I'll copy the code from the project you've been working on...