[Help] Home network printing.

I am wondering how do I share my one printer with my other PC connected to my home LAN network? Here is my set-up.

Main PC and the printer is connected to it via parellel port.

I have both PCs going through a router (sharing internet).

Both PCs are running Windows XP Home.

go to the properties of your printer, and hit the sharing tab. select "share this printer". that should be about it for the pc that the printer is connected to.

on the other machine, go to add printer. select "browse for a networked printer". and then select your shared printer. that should be about it. good luck.

I did try that but nothing happened. I read that you need to get the IP address of the PC that has the printer connected to it directly then give the IP address to the other PC that you are trying to share the printer with over the network. I have be trying to do that but its not working correctly.

i dunno how much this helps, but on my network at home, there are 5 computers. 1 of the computers has a printer hooked up via USB and another computer has a printer hooked up via parallel. i dont remember having to do much of anything to set it up other than telling all the computers that the printer was there. all computers (running windows xp) can print off either of the printers, whatever the user wants.

good luck with your troubles

maybe a print server may do you good. There cheap. O! One thing to check is if the name of the printer has spaces in it. I found that issue causes it not to share.

I did try that but nothing happened. I read that you need to get the IP address of the PC that has the printer connected to it directly then give the IP address to the other PC that you are trying to share the printer with over the network. I have be trying to do that but its not working correctly.

you dont need the ip address at all although you could do it this way its a litte more complicated... all you have to do is what liar 2 above said...

the best way to add the printer is through the Printers & Faxes control panel. click on "Add A Printer" and use the Wizard, then choose " A network Printer" , then choose "Browse." and the have browse to the correct one ... it should pick it up right away as long as the computers themselves are networked. which they have to be first (meaning you can share files and what not)... if they are not networked youll have to create a home or small office network throught the add network wizard... once you do that the printer should share no problem at all (also as long as when you click share this printer you also give the printer a name for when its shared dont forget to do that either) as i have 1 pc sharing its printer with 2 other comps on my network and it has never given me a problem at all...

also although it might be obvious make sure the printer you want to share that the comp and the printer itself are on... and like i said the 2 comps must be networked first, that might be your problem... GOOD LUCK (Y)