When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

TechSpot: How Much RAM? 4GB vs. 8GB vs. 16GB Performance Tested

With the recent arrival of Skylake, many are looking into Intel's latest platform which requires not just a Core i7-6700K or Core i5-6600K processor but also a new Z170 motherboard and DDR4 memory. Although memory prices are competitive at the moment (read: cheap), you can still expect to pay between 20 to 40% more for DDR4 memory versus DDR3. Naturally, users are questioning if the upgrade to Skylake is worth the premium.

Regardless of whether you opt for Intel's latest platform and DDR4, or go for last season's Haswell range with more affordable DDR3 memory, you'll likely ask yourself: "Should I get 8GB or 16GB of RAM?"

Today's modern games and many productivity applications can consume upwards of 4GB, so there's little argument for not going with 8GB. However, the need for 16GB of memory is a hotly debated subject, so today we are going see if and where this much memory might be useful for desktop users.

Read: How Much Memory Should You Get? 4GB vs. 8GB vs. 16GB Performance Tested

This article is brought to you in partnership with TechSpot

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Google's 'Project Ara' delayed until 2016

Previous Article

T-Mobile offers free year of Netflix with pre-order of Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ or Note 5