Speed test your connection

wow, I would have taken it further WAY before now, you're paying for a service you're not getting, they are breaking their site of the contract and I imagine are legally obligated to fix it

Been getting 50% during this time, but yeah... I've spoken to them, their "head office" and what-not, and they can't really do much it seems. We've just been waiting for BT Infinity. It wasn't as bad as it is now before Christmas, but it seems they've done their "double speed" upgrade around here so... Capacity was at ~99% before, imagine now, luls.

Been getting 50% during this time, but yeah... I've spoken to them, their "head office" and what-not, and they can't really do much it seems. We've just been waiting for BT Infinity. It wasn't as bad as it is now before Christmas, but it seems they've done their "double speed" upgrade around here so... Capacity was at ~99% before, imagine now, luls.

Virgin media are absolute ****, they say they don't cap speeds, but instead have a 'Traffic Management Policy' Which is basically capping your speeds.

I tried them for a month, now back to BT with no restrictions except P2P during peak hours (which is easily bypassed)

Anyway - email the ceo - he seems to get things sorted:

neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk

Virgin media are absolute ****, they say they don't cap speeds, but instead have a 'Traffic Management Policy' Which is basically capping your speeds.

I tried them for a month, now back to BT with no restrictions except P2P during peak hours (which is easily bypassed)

Anyway - email the ceo - he seems to get things sorted:

neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk

Cheers, I'll try that! :)

Well you shouldn't regret Infinity, I have Infinity 2.0 and its been a rock solid 75/17 since it was installed, (Cabinet is about 100m away at the end of the street to give you an idea) max speeds are 76/18 so I lose 1meg either way for 100m distance

Well you shouldn't regret Infinity, I have Infinity 2.0 and its been a rock solid 75/17 since it was installed, (Cabinet is about 100m away at the end of the street to give you an idea) max speeds are 76/18 so I lose 1meg either way for 100m distance

Glad to hear that! Our cabinet is about 100m away also. I'm just worried about congestion after this whole year with Virgin.

Glad to hear that! Our cabinet is about 100m away also. I'm just worried about congestion after this whole year with Virgin.

Sounds like all your neighbours are with Virgin so you might get the line to yourself with BT ;)

Infinity 2.0 Option 2 gives a downstream prioritisation rate of 30meg, over people with a lesser package who are only given 15meg prioritisation

Sounds like all your neighbours are with Virgin so you might get the line to yourself with BT ;)

Infinity 2.0 Option 2 gives a downstream prioritisation rate of 30meg, over people with a lesser package who are only given 15meg prioritisation

That's the one we're going for. It's nice to see that they've got some fail-safes in place, in contrast to Virgin. "Oh gosh, there's a 99% utilization in your area, let's postpone fixes for about a year and a half and do nothing in the meanwhile."

Anyway, I'll post back when I've got some results from Infinity! :)

Ping:19ms Down:17.35Mbps Up:1.48Mbps

This is on AT&T U-Verse. Really wish they would get their act together and up the speeds, been sitting on this for over 3 years. Only good thing I'll say is reliability is never an issue, we've had maybe 1 day of downtime in that same time period. But still, with FTTP its a bit ridiculous.

2438891477.png

Super slow Telus Internet...incorrectly showing up as AGT unless its outsourced.

P.S. My "4G" (HSPAP) Samsung Galaxy S2X averages 1.4mb/s (in Camrose) (HSPA) or 15 mb/s if im in Edmonton (HSPAP:15/HSPA+:11). Sad my internet is SLOWER then my cell! Both are telus too...

• 3 weeks later...

2475208012.png

The upload speed is abysmal but the download speed is phenomenal because of SpeedBoost?. It's a temporary boost in download speed that kicks in when you just start a download (or, in my case, a speed test). My actual download speed is around 22 Mb/s but I'm paying for an 18 Mb/s plan. Not bad for $40/month.

I'm in the UK so I used a different site.

2476180235.png

Edit: I'm getting these kinds of speeds all the time. During peak hours and everything. Very impressed with Virgin's service. (They say up to 30Mb for our package)

BT Infinity (wireless, it's 78/18 wired):

2476187740.png

6 months ago before BT made FTTC available here (not sure why it says A+ 'faster than 97% of GB' :wacko:):

2027077069.png