Xbox One Mini without Blu-Ray rumoured

In addition, Xbox One's new host, will likely launch in the past as Xbox 360 Slim version, perhaps somewhat earlier rumors of a small size version of "Xbox One Mini" .

It is said that "Xbox One Mini" will adopt a new industrial design, the size of this device will be only one-third of Xbox One, the abolition of the existing Blu-ray, more advanced in the manufacturing process, and without loss of performance Under the premise of the power control decreased, "Xbox One Mini" at run time will be more peaceful.

Source: http://www.wpdang.com/archives/143926.html

Sorry for engrish. Swap "more peaceful" for quieter.

Well without the bluray drive then that means you gotta download all games? Cant borrow games from your friend either or rent?

I always wanted a smaller Xbox One but not sure id go for the mini if that's the case.

Well without the bluray drive then that means you gotta download all games? Cant borrow games from your friend either or rent?

I always wanted a smaller Xbox One but not sure id go for the mini if that's the case.

Seems like MS is still trying to push their "no borrowing" agenda. Unless I am wrong and you are able to "virtually" share games or something.

A drive less Xbox wouldn't be so bad for people with good connections that don't tend to borrow. Maybe some kind of external bluray drive? ; )

if they do indeed do this then they had better make a version with a drive too as internet infrastructure is not commonly in place around the world to download huge games, discs will still be needed by most people.

There's only so small you could go if you want to keep the BD drive in the system, if I had better broadband I wouldn't mind downloading games, but at 40GB and more a pop, it's faster to grab the BD and install the game that way for me.  If this sort of SKU has a pretty low price tag with it, like $199, it'll be a success, with a smaller, or rather, mid sized XB1 that still has a drive in the $299 price range,  You could always grab a driveless version for a 2nd room or so on, to stream to even.

• Like 1

Seems like MS is still trying to push their "no borrowing" agenda. Unless I am wrong and you are able to "virtually" share games or something.

A drive less Xbox wouldn't be so bad for people with good connections that don't tend to borrow. Maybe some kind of external bluray drive? ; )

I got 100Mbps here so no problems downloading but I like popping into Gamestop and those places and just grab a bunch of games I haven't played which are cheap. This way if I don't like them I don't feel like a chump for spending so much money on each. Sometimes I do that and out of 5 random games (costing a total of say $30) - I will end up liking 2 of them enough to wish I got them sooner and for that price... 2 games for $30 is worth it to me.Now if I had to download all 5 of those games, it would take a while longer and also cost a bit more than the bargin bin at those places. Even old games on the 360 I see still going for $20 each.

All my games I've gone digital and even the Blu-rays I get them with a digital copy and host them on my network at home.  This would be perfect for me.

• Like 2

I got 100Mbps here so no problems downloading but I like popping into Gamestop and those places and just grab a bunch of games I haven't played which are cheap. This way if I don't like them I don't feel like a chump for spending so much money on each. Sometimes I do that and out of 5 random games (costing a total of say $30) - I will end up liking 2 of them enough to wish I got them sooner and for that price... 2 games for $30 is worth it to me.Now if I had to download all 5 of those games, it would take a while longer and also cost a bit more than the bargin bin at those places. Even old games on the 360 I see still going for $20 each.

You make a very good point. I used to get stuff from one of these places at times just for weekend parties. It is a good way of buying without getting burned.

There's only so small you could go if you want to keep the BD drive in the system, if I had better broadband I wouldn't mind downloading games, but at 40GB and more a pop, it's faster to grab the BD and install the game that way for me.  If this sort of SKU has a pretty low price tag with it, like $199, it'll be a success, with a smaller, or rather, mid sized XB1 that still has a drive in the $299 price range,  You could always grab a driveless version for a 2nd room or so on, to stream to even.

At the start of this generation even if you got the Blu Ray you'd have a 20GB+ "patch" awaiting you on day 1... Thankfully that's getting a bit better.

I'm going to doubt the authenticity of this since they put a major amount of work into X360 backwards compatibility, which pretty much requires a disc drive. Releasing a console without one would fragment their user base and create a ton of confusion to consumers. They'd have to have a ton of messaging around it and the whole thing is probably more trouble than its worth.

I'm going to doubt the authenticity of this since they put a major amount of work into X360 backwards compatibility, which pretty much requires a disc drive. Releasing a console without one would fragment their user base and create a ton of confusion to consumers. They'd have to have a ton of messaging around it and the whole thing is probably more trouble than its worth.

I think you put too much stock in BC. It's popular for sure, but I don't think it'll cause issues if something like this came out. It is an Xbox One after all - play Xbox One games.

I'd definitely get something like this for another room if I could just stream games from my main Xbox One to it.

• Like 1

All my games I've gone digital and even the Blu-rays I get them with a digital copy and host them on my network at home.  This would be perfect for me.

This...

• Like 1

Would be very interesting if they did this. 

Thanks to all the preloading etc, for those with descent internet a smaller, cheaper version could be a hit.

At the start of this generation even if you got the Blu Ray you'd have a 20GB+ "patch" awaiting you on day 1... Thankfully that's getting a bit better.

Sometimes I wonder if that's by design.

• Like 1

What makes me sceptical is "only one-third of Xbox One". I really can't imagine they can lop off that much even without the drive. Not to mention the BR drive adds to the "ONE" descript given the majority of lounge rooms would want BR playback.

Edited by Son_Of_Dad

What makes me sceptical is "only one-third of Xbox One". I really can't imagine they can lop off that much even without the drive

You might be able to get close to that. I mean if you take a look at the guts of an Xbox One you can take half of it off pretty immediately just by getting rid of the Blu-ray drive. If you can re-engineer the rest with newer parts, you *might* be able to take a bit more off. But yeah, one third does seem a bit of a stretch...

• Like 1

one third the size can mean not only no BD drive, but maybe no HDD as well. they could include some amount of flash memory for universal apps/games, and people have the option of using an external usb drive. this could reduce the cost of the device significantly.

• Like 1

one third the size can mean not only no BD drive, but maybe no HDD as well. they could include some amount of flash memory for universal apps/games, and people have the option of using an external usb drive. this could reduce the cost of the device significantly.

But increase cost and space in the long run needing a USB drive and a BR drive/player.

Considering I have yet to use the BD player in my PS4 (besides just a test to make sure it worked) I would go for this.

Having said that, I am highly sceptical.,

I love my physical media and I also watch Bluray movies because the picture/sound quality is THAT much better than streaming.

This discless Xbox would not be for me, even if the price is right.

1/3 shouldn't be a issue, and you'd still keep a drive in there, IMO, because a large part, after the BD drive, in the XB1 is the cooling unit.  With a newer fab on a smaller 14nm process from AMD, and overall smaller cooling needed, adding that to the part the BD takes up, swap the hdd for some flash maybe and you can save even more.

But if you keep the HDD, depending on how you place it, it won't take up much room, could have it under the main board for example, or sitting on it's side in a sort of vertical position and not like it is now, etc.

If this turns out to be true then it would be an ideal second device for my *ahem* office.

I've only used the drive on my current XB1 to have a look at the BluRay player software. All my current games and media is digital, even though i have less internet connection speed than the wrong end of a cow.