Downshift: those who have gone from Windows 10 BACK to Windows 8/8.1 or 7

Ian W

A couple thoughts:

MS isn't telling you what you can or cannot do. Nonetheless, they are collecting data and they have completely transparent about it. It was your decision to agree to the EULA.  It is their software, not yours and you agreed to their terms. Your location doesn't change that, unless they are breaking the law. In which case, it is still their software.  I understand that you want to go back for these reasons, but Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 is doing a lot of the same, they were just less transparent about it back then.

Just look at all of the data collection features in Windows 7many of which are included in Windows 10 and enabled by default in both operating systems.

• Like 2
chrisj1968

Just look at all of the data collection features in Windows 7many of which are included in Windows 10 and enabled by default in both operating systems.

I don't think the level of collection is as "in your face" or to the level of windows 10 from what i'm understanding. I could be wrong.

chrisj1968

advice for folks who are planning on downgrading from windows 10(or 8) to 7. I'm not sure if 10 is the same but in case...

open device manager, open the major hardware portions in the listings of the video card, sound, wifi, LAN etc.

download from your manufacturer.. I'll give you Toshibas -> Toshiba drivers site

save ALL drivers to a safe location outside of your PC, onedrive, I have a usb drive or little camera card 32GB that has all of mine to store mine.

in windows 8.1, go to the upper right screen and go all the way down to the loer right of the menu that pops out and go to "change PC settings". when the screen opens up,

select boot with CD/DVD and when the system reboots, open up your bios and disable all that deals with secure booting. I changed my Qosmio bios settings to CSM boot. 

*IF the boot selection of UEFI boot is grayed out, there should be a bios menu option to enable/disable secure boot. select disable and then the UEFI or CSM boot feature should be active to change.

put windows 7 DVD in the DVD drive and boot to install.

adrynalyne

I don't think the level of collection is as "in your face" or to the level of windows 10 from what i'm understanding. I could be wrong.

Yes, you could be.

Don't forget the NSA had a hand in building Windows 7.

chrisj1968

Yes, you could be.

you sure know how to make my day don't you? in good humor, perhaps we go back to 98 or 95? ack!

Noir Angel

Their spyware...you agreed to it in the first place, otherwise you wouldn't have needed to disable it.

Having spyware in an OS isn't on full stop, whether you bury it in a service agreement or not. I bet you'd sell your own children to Microsoft if they told you to, I think you're on the fast track to joining Dot in their marketing department.

adrynalyne

Having spyware in an OS isn't on full stop, whether you bury it in a service agreement or not. I bet you'd sell your own children to Microsoft if they told you to, I think you're on the fast track to joining Dot in their marketing department.

I bet you are making assumptions like you typically do.

Microsoft products have been opt-out of data collection for at least the last 10-15 years. Why is it a big deal all of a sudden, I'll never understand.

I love how me having full understanding about license agreements and how to turn off data collection makes me like Dot Matrix, LOL. 

• Like 1
chrisj1968

Here's the program I use and to help those who might NOT know of its availability. toshiba service station.

sz7jtv.png

its straight forward and sometimes it gives me an older version to update but the app allows me to ignore older drivers but that kind of control is just what I need.

** I have to ignore the Nvidia Geforce experience driver update because mine onboard is 2.5.13.6. So I can have the app ignore this version

How  ignore:

wcgvpw.png

onewarmslime

You guys realize you can disable auto driver updates right?

RealDarrenCohen

Not so sure about the lack of drivers (I haven't been affected by that) ... but I definitely agree with it being unpolished. The Microsoft operating systems post Windows 7 has been like a revolving beta program.  

I haven't reverted back to earlier operating systems though I did "unreserve" Windows 10 from my desktop, HTPC and notebook...I'll be keeping them on Windows 7 for the time being.  My secondary notebook is running 10 (it came with 8) and I do not plan on reverting it.  I like 10 better than 8x .... but it still doesn't give me the "warm fuzzy" that 7 does...as you said it just seems unfinished/unpolished.  

Anyway, before July of next year I'm sure I'll update my desktop (for DirectX 12)...highly doubt (at this point) that I'll update my primary notebook or HTPC (see no real reason to...they do exactly what I want them to do).

Enough reports out there that Windows 10 was supposed to be launched in the fall, but OEMs wanted a back to school release.  That makes sense given that we still are missing basic features that are coming in October.  The OS itself has been pretty solid for me, but the built in apps have a beta feel.  Mail, cal, edge, store, are all missing basic features that I am sure will come at some point.  The sad part is that if people get a bad first impression of something like Edge, they will never go back even when all the features are present. 

• Like 1
adrynalyne

It is partially broken.

• Like 1
COKid

If you don't like the data collection in Windows, much of which can be disabled, you are free to use another OS. I moved to Debian years ago and have never looked back. Anyway, Microsoft is simply doing what Google and many other companies do these days.

imagesizer.thumb.jpg.28b0808dcdd19c43128

adrynalyne

If you don't like the data collection in Windows, much of which can be disabled, you are free to use another OS. I moved to Debian years ago and have never looked back. Anyway, Microsoft is simply doing what Google and many other companies do these days.

imagesizer.thumb.jpg.28b0808dcdd19c43128

The difference is, Google's primary business model revolves around mining your data. MS is using it to improve their products.

chrisj1968

not in home. you have 2 choices, automatically and restart. past versions allowed users to control what updates and drivers they wanted to install.

Here's how I'm controlling my updates and driver updates from MS. Home editon of windows 10 doesn't have this control and many peopl eare forced older drivers than what they have on their PC's.

34qu5qs[1].png

adrynalyne

not in home. you have 2 choices, automatically and restart. past versions allowed users to control what updates and drivers they wanted to install.

Here's how I'm controlling my updates and driver updates from MS. Home editon of windows 10 doesn't have this control and many peopl eare forced older drivers than what they have on their PC's.

34qu5qs[1].png

The driver setting is in Home too.  It is just not working correctly.

PGHammer

Yes, you could be.

The ONLY hand NSA has in Windows is the SAME hand NSA has in Linux - or BSDs - or UNIX.

NSA is, in fact, required, by their charter, to do a line-by-line review of every operating system used by the government or agents/contractors thereof.  It's public knowledge, and has been public knowledge for years.  It goes back, in Microsoft's case, to Windows 3.0 (pre-NT, in other words).  It was true of every version of LAN Manager and IBM's OS/2 (and every version of every flavor of NT, of course).  (The same applies to GCHQ in the UK - for the same reason.)  Do you REALLY think that ANY government would - willy-nilly - trust software from an outside source?  The difference is that NSA came right out and warned all and sundry that they would be put through the fine-toothed comb - which even GCHQ didn't do.  Which is worse - the government that flat-out tells you what they are going to do - or one that doesn't tell you, but does it anyway?

adrynalyne

The ONLY hand NSA has in Windows is the SAME hand NSA has in Linux - or BSDs - or UNIX.

NSA is, in fact, required, by their charter, to do a line-by-line review of every operating system used by the government or agents/contractors thereof.  It's public knowledge, and has been public knowledge for years.  It goes back, in Microsoft's case, to Windows 3.0 (pre-NT, in other words).  It was true of every version of LAN Manager and IBM's OS/2 (and every version of every flavor of NT, of course).  (The same applies to GCHQ in the UK - for the same reason.)  Do you REALLY think that ANY government would - willy-nilly - trust software from an outside source?  The difference is that NSA came right out and warned all and sundry that they would be put through the fine-toothed comb - which even GCHQ didn't do.  Which is worse - the government that flat-out tells you what they are going to do - or one that doesn't tell you, but does it anyway?

The public knowledge isn't what concerns me.  Its what they don't tell you.  Don't act like the NSA is honest about what it actually does.

• Like 1
chrisj1968

I realize the NSA are involved NOW that you mentioned and thank you for that, but I'd think as the windows iterations increased, the more powerful and improved the snooping got.

But to get the least amount, we'd have to go back to Vista or hevan forbid XP. I couldn't even get this laptop drivers for vista since the hardware didn't exist. 7 seems like the furthest back I can go. if you're terribly paranoid,  iheard there's a website that offers windows 98/98se as abandonware but none our of system would have drivers to go back THAT far. I can't find drivers for Vista either. unless i look deeper for them but highly unlikely

xplatinum

Tried Windows 10 Pro and went back to a clean install of 8.1. I was hyped for this release following all the rave I read through prior to RTM. But eventually I faced way too many problems.

• Audio issues. Sound would stop working for no reason. Only a reboot fixed the issue... temporarily. Many people are having sound issues. Maybe it's bad drivers. But it's HDMI audio from my Radeon 280X. Official drivers from AMD.
  • Unable to access properties of TCP/IP protocol of VPN. Need to change options through powershell until fixed. What the hell! Seriously.
  • Forced WU. Even right after initial login. I don't even have time to download my GPU driver. No. WU starts downloading right of the bat.
  • VERY inconsistent UI. It's like a patchwork job everywhere.
  • Start menu problems where it doesn't open at all. You either need to reboot or, again, run a powershell command to fix it.
  • P2P updates enabled by default! That's just wrong. Like really really wrong.
  • And that's just off the top of my head. I know I had to endure a lot more.

I really don't understand how this could go through QA.

adrynalyne

Tried Windows 10 Pro and went back to a clean install of 8.1. I was hyped for this release following all the rave I read through prior to RTM. But eventually I faced way too many problems.

• Audio issues. Sound would stop working for no reason. Only a reboot fixed the issue... temporarily. Many people are having sound issues. Maybe it's bad drivers. But it's HDMI audio from my Radeon 280X. Official drivers from AMD.
  • Unable to access properties of TCP/IP protocol of VPN. Need to change options through powershell until fixed. What the hell! Seriously.
  • Forced WU. Even right after initial login. I don't even have time to download my GPU driver. No. WU starts downloading right of the bat.
  • VERY inconsistent UI. It's like a patchwork job everywhere.
  • Start menu problems where it doesn't open at all. You either need to reboot or, again, run a powershell command to fix it.
  • P2P updates enabled by default! That's just wrong. Like really really wrong.
  • And that's just off the top of my head. I know I had to endure a lot more.

I really don't understand how this could go through QA.

You can edit rasbook.pbk with a text editor instead of using powershell :D

chrisj1968

You can edit rasbook.pbk with a text editor instead of using powershell :D

all these issues CAN be fixed by MS. question is, will they be willing to change the features? I thought a long time about this and I knew that at some point, I'd get off the soul train. I'd have to stop somewhere. So I'm staying with windows 7. I think at this point, when windows 7 support ends, I can't say where Windows will go. I'll keep all my drivers hopefully download SP1 and keep it in reserve and just be the old timer sitting on the porch talking to the young whipper snappers about the good ol days.

adrynalyne

all these issues CAN be fixed by MS. question is, will they be willing to change the features? I thought a long time about this and I knew that at some point, I'd get off the soul train. I'd have to stop somewhere. So I'm staying with windows 7. I think at this point, when windows 7 support ends, I can't say where Windows will go. I'll keep all my drivers hopefully download SP1 and keep it in reserve and just be the old timer sitting on the porch talking to the young whipper snappers about the good ol days.

They absolutely will fix the VPN issue, the question is when. I would have thought it to have been a high priority issue.

ccoltmanm

I am a die hard Windows 10 supporter, but over a tablet, and a desktop computer, i recieved a similar "inaccessible boot device" error after installing Windows 10 Pro and Home on each machine. Also, 10 was very sluggish, locked up randomly, and was just starting to frustrate me.

I am ordering parts for a new machine this week, and will put 10 on there. I'm sure new hardware will make the experience smooth. As of right now, I am running 7 on my desktop, and love it more than I remember, it's fast and stable. 

I will go back to 10 ASAP, but don't want to frustrated.

Rippleman

I went back to Windows 7 on both my desktop and laptop but NOT my netbook.

Reason for the desktop: drivers weren't there. They worked, but with drastic performence drop.

Reason for laptop: Everything seems good except 1 driver.. the wireless. It would work, but then if the system went to sleep, then woke up, wireless would be on but won't connect until disable/enable.