Downshift: those who have gone from Windows 10 BACK to Windows 8/8.1 or 7

chrisj1968

I had issues with edge browser. for some reason my mouse would lag. then i installed chrome 64 bit and the browser would always for the page to the top. no matter what

nekrosoft13

I already went back to 8.1.

way too many issues with 10, and forced windows updates is pissing me off.

remixedcat

still rockin server 12.

• Like 1

onewarmslime

not in home. you have 2 choices, automatically and restart. past versions allowed users to control what updates and drivers they wanted to install.

Here's how I'm controlling my updates and driver updates from MS. Home editon of windows 10 doesn't have this control and many peopl eare forced older drivers than what they have on their PC's.

Right click Computer> properties>change settings>hardware>(the second button)> disable it

• Like 1

+JHBrown

Went back to Windows 7 last weekend. I love having control over my OS.

ZombieFly

I am a die hard Windows 10 supporter, but over a tablet, and a desktop computer, i recieved a similar "inaccessible boot device" error after installing Windows 10 Pro and Home on each machine. Also, 10 was very sluggish, locked up randomly, and was just starting to frustrate me.

I am ordering parts for a new machine this week, and will put 10 on there. I'm sure new hardware will make the experience smooth. As of right now, I am running 7 on my desktop, and love it more than I remember, it's fast and stable. 

I will go back to 10 ASAP, but don't want to frustrated.

this happened to me. switch bios to uefi/windows 8 option

+Frank B.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Surface 3. No issues whatsoever. I wouldn't even think of going back to Windows 8.1.

• Like 1

soulburner

Went back to Windows 8.1 and here's why:

1. Whenever I was away from keyboard, even for less than 5 minutes, a Windows process (rundll32.exe, runtimebroker.exe or tiworker.exe) would start and consume 99% of CPU for an indefinite amount of time. I like my PC consuming a little less electrical power when I'm not doing anything that requires it.

2. no built-in app updates. Mail is seriously broken and nothing has been done to it for almost a month after RTM release. I thought the Universal Apps would be updated frequently and I don't know what I was thinking ;)

3. little graphical annoyances like flickering on the login screen when typing my PIN, flickering during login screen -> desktop transition (instead of the smooth fade out, fade in), the new start menu behaving in a weird way (click the start key and quickly move your mouse over the tiles before the sliding animation finishes. The highlighted item will not be the one your mouse cursor is over), several inconsistencies, both in how GUI elements look and also how they behave (for example, clicking the clock/date on the taskbar shows the calendar. Clicking it again used to hide it. Now it does nothing. Other elements of the tray area either hide the shown element, like the volume bar, or hide-and-redisplay it, like the network icon). Small things that should have been fixed long ago...

4. Too small taskbar icons with no option to make them as large as in Win7/8.

5. Forced automatic updates, most especially - forced video driver updates

6. Microsoft not informing about Windows Update changelogs. I'd like to know what an update does, even if it's a generic "stability and performance fixes"

7. privacy. I know most of the articles/blogs online are spreading false information about how much data is being sent by Windows 10 to Microsoft servers. However, I would like an official or semi-official statement from Microsoft explaining what exactly is being sent and how much personally identifiable it all is. If the data collected is "The mail app crashed with error code 0x236 while connecting to server.xyz" it's fine, but if it's "John Doe was downloading a message from Jane Doe that contained cat photos, the mail app crashed when attempting to save kitten006.jpg to e:\random-photos-from-the-internets\ at [location data]" then... I'm not fine with it at all.

Will install Windows 10 again when significant updates are released and/or when a brilliant game using DirectX 12 comes out.

Circaflex

not in home. you have 2 choices, automatically and restart. past versions allowed users to control what updates and drivers they wanted to install.

Here's how I'm controlling my updates and driver updates from MS. Home editon of windows 10 doesn't have this control and many peopl eare forced older drivers than what they have on their PC's.

34qu5qs[1].png

You are looking in the wrong area, its not under WU settings. You go to Advanced System Settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings

Edited by Jeston
Cleaned
  • Like 1

Gotenks98

You guys realize you can disable auto driver updates right?

It doesnt work, still installs what it wants to install even on Pro system.

Jeston

Thread cleaned.

Stick to the topic please.

Dashel

###### those Amazonian slavers.

Andrew

Topic cleaned, again.

Any more trolling and warns will be handed out.

sinetheo

I tried it and went back.

My reasons were:

1. Hated the 1984 outdated UI with all white and black and no options to even add colors??? What was MS thinking?! Redstone will add this WIndows 1.0 feature back so I do not get migraines from staring into a fluorescent light via my monitor

2. I am studying for my MCSA/MCSE and need Hyper-V to work exactly like server 2012 R2. The exam is so stupid with questions like which feature can you turn off while it is running etc. Obviously I need to do a chart and memorize it from the same limitations

3. Too buggy. It was rushed and it shows.

4. Windows 8.1 works fine and there is no reason to change for the sake of changing. Only limitation is MS won't put the 8.1 version of Netflix back to force me to upgrade if I want it back at the store. Grrr

Next spring after it has been out for 6 months update 2 will be ready and so will I after MS fixes everything.

Prince Charming
Running 10 on my OG Surface Pro. Wouldn't go back - I felt that 8 was probably a bit better in the touchy-feel department, but I use my SP both at home as a docked desktop and on the road as a laptop/tablet. 10 is definitely the best compromise.

chrisj1968

excellent Prince. Glad you have a good experience with 10.

I'm still analyzing threads on steam with regards to peoples games not running on 10. I won't begin to theorize but i simply advise folks to install an earlier version of windows, be it 7 , 8 or 8.1. at least until we can get it figured out. I was impressed with directx12 but after RTM none of my old/older games would run. I tried all the compatibility modes, run as admin, everything but nothing seems to work. being patient is of no concern since I'm back on 7 and willing to wait for MS to see if there's an issue on 10.

But I'm concerned with the fact that compatibility settings did nothing to help my issues with my games. So far my entire ARMA2 packs, ARMAII, ARMAII OA, ARMAII PMC, ARMAII British military and czech army packs on steam work with no issues with 7. Could it be DirectX12 stack and ho wit handles or doesn't handle older titles? I don't know but would like some feed back from MS if they are aware.

Has anyone else had this issue with their games NOT working? or does MS even know about this issue? I'm just a gamer, occasional letter writer (MS office 2010).

Raa

I upgraded my office laptop and it's been great. Will most likely be doing the office desktop soon (clean).

I can't upgrade the lounge room PC as it's sole and only function is WMC. I could do alternatives sure, but WMC just works. It will probably remain on 7 for a long time to come.
Also can't upgrade my gaming laptop as the driver support isn't available above Win 7 (technically it's Vista based) - the "old gen" Alienware. Probably wouldn't want to as it's mainly used for "old-school" games. If I want to have a modern gaming laptop it'd probably be on Win 10.

My main desktop is still on 7, I've been seriously considering upgrading to 10, but I'm still not totally sold yet. I might give it a trial run though...

Everything that's had 8.x has been upgraded to 10 and I won't look back for any of those devices.

adam.mt

Neat tip from that How to Geek article:

"If you want to temporarily prevent Windows from automatically downloading and installing any updates, you can do it without using the above tool to block updates. Just set your current Internet connection as “metered” and Windows won’t download updates while connected to it — at least until you tell Windows the connection isn’t metered anymore."

Alternatively, you should be able to just disable the Windows Update service when not wanted (services.msc), though I haven't tried it personally. Agree, the options presented to users should be better, I get want Microsoft are trying to do but device drivers in particular should always be a user choice (and easily selectable as that).

• Like 1

chrisj1968

Neat tip from that How to Geek article:

"If you want to temporarily prevent Windows from automatically downloading and installing any updates, you can do it without using the above tool to block updates. Just set your current Internet connection as “metered” and Windows won’t download updates while connected to it — at least until you tell Windows the connection isn’t metered anymore."

Alternatively, you should be able to just disable the Windows Update service when not wanted (services.msc), though I haven't tried it personally. Agree, the options presented to users should be better, I get want Microsoft are trying to do but device drivers in particular should always be a user choice (and easily selectable as that).

interesting idea. I don't think my home connection can be set to "metered." But from my experience, I ALWAYS first thing, is go into updates and set it to "inform me of updates, but let me choose if to install them. I especially did this for my system here I'm typing on because that KB 3035583, the update to upgrade to Windows 10 go sneaky through somehow setting my updates to install all automatically. If MS would simply look into the issue and fix the issue I mentioned above with old/older games not running, and successfully allow us to play them again, I probably would guarantee more than likely to upgrade to windows 10 as I was extremely impressed with Directx12 and how it ran my games. Somehow windows 10 changed when it went RTM. the test builds allowed my old games to work. But even the latest title at that time of the test build 9926 was spectacular. But as I've stated many times before, the Nvidia upgrade to 10041 broke my test build install and I dropped build testing for windows 8.1. That was a bummer. So I feel stuck with Windows 7 until such a time that MS looks into the whole issue.

Question: if anyone who has insider access to MS could pass the word along about gamers games being broken after installing 10, I and many others would be terribly grateful to MS for fixing the issue.

Left for dead 2, has been out for a long time but it shouldn't be considered so old to the arena of say Ghost Recon or other old titles between 2004-2010. But we need someone to be a sort of ambassador and bring this to the attention of Microsoft. I bet it's something simple and innocuous.

dh123lh1a

I don't know if I will ever go Win 10, I wanted it at first then began to read about it, Now I have decided Apps Cost Money and Win 10 can block 90% of what I use my PC for so If I ever go win 10 it will just be for a Laugh and Wont be on the Drive I use daily I will at best allow it to update one of my Alt drives I rarely use, but after 18 years of disability and knowing living on my fixed income is a big enough of a pain in my Backside, I cant see giving the Gates horde even 1 tiny iota of access to my severely limited funds, but all this decision took is me thinking why give it away free? because they will Shaft everyone who has it with some outrageous fee after the Free upgrade isn't Free any longer, Free I seriously doubt it, but feel free to try and change my mind but I will say nothing is ever actually free.

jdgalt

Anybody know where I can buy a legal, used copy of Windows XP?  (I was running XP on a Dell, but the hard drive and BIOS crashed, and then I found out the hard way that Dell's OEM version of XP refuses to work on any other motherboard).

I thought I was doing the right thing by upgrading, but even Win7 won't run my printer drivers, and Win10 breaks half my games.

Damien

Downgraded due to a battery drain issue but I will return to Windows 10 in December (hopefully the issue will be fixed by then).

PGHammer

I tried it and went back.

My reasons were:

1. Hated the 1984 outdated UI with all white and black and no options to even add colors??? What was MS thinking?! Redstone will add this WIndows 1.0 feature back so I do not get migraines from staring into a fluorescent light via my monitor

2. I am studying for my MCSA/MCSE and need Hyper-V to work exactly like server 2012 R2. The exam is so stupid with questions like which feature can you turn off while it is running etc. Obviously I need to do a chart and memorize it from the same limitations

3. Too buggy. It was rushed and it shows.

4. Windows 8.1 works fine and there is no reason to change for the sake of changing. Only limitation is MS won't put the 8.1 version of Netflix back to force me to upgrade if I want it back at the store. Grrr

Next spring after it has been out for 6 months update 2 will be ready and so will I after MS fixes everything.

The Hyper-V exam is targeted AT Hyper-V administrators - which, by and large, are going to be running some flavor of Windows Server, for the obvious reason that Windows Server has been supporting Hyper-V longer than Windows clients.  (Hyper-V came to servers with Server 2008 - despite Windows Vista being based on identical code, it doesn't support Hyper-V.  More telling, Windows 7 - the era of the newer of my two notebooks - doesn't support Hyper-V; however, my notebook does.  And if you want to run Hyper-V on a Core 2-based PC (same era), your only options were three server OSes - Server 2008, Server 2008R2, or Server 2012.  Windows 8 - the first Windows client OS to support Hyper-V, required SLAT support to do so - Server 2012R2 (same code as 8) still didn't.  SLAT didn't become a requirement until the still-in-testing Server 2016 on the server side, while it has ALWAYS been a requirement for the only three client Windows versions that support Hyper-V.)  Therefore, due to the SLAT requirement on Windows clients, it is still more likely that Hyper-V will be used on a server OS (remember, the shipping Windows server OSes don't require SLAT to leverage Hyper-V) not to mention that, despite the ability to run Server 2012 OR Server 2012R2 as a workstation OS (complete with support for everything except DirectX) simply by adding Desktop Experience (which includes support for the Windows App Store, by the way), Wireless Networking Services (exactly what it sounds like) and Pen and Ink Services (stylus and even touch-screen support on servers - it dates back to Server 2012) via Server Manager, it uses FEWER computing resources than Windows 8 or 8.1 (due to lack of need for DirectX - remember, Windows Store "apps" don't need, require, or even USE DirectX).

kozukumi

I don't know if I will ever go Win 10, I wanted it at first then began to read about it, Now I have decided Apps Cost Money and Win 10 can block 90% of what I use my PC for so If I ever go win 10 it will just be for a Laugh and Wont be on the Drive I use daily I will at best allow it to update one of my Alt drives I rarely use, but after 18 years of disability and knowing living on my fixed income is a big enough of a pain in my Backside, I cant see giving the Gates horde even 1 tiny iota of access to my severely limited funds, but all this decision took is me thinking why give it away free? because they will Shaft everyone who has it with some outrageous fee after the Free upgrade isn't Free any longer, Free I seriously doubt it, but feel free to try and change my mind but I will say nothing is ever actually free.

You can do like me and just ignore all the app store stuff. I can't stand the modern apps. They are slower than old Win32 apps and they look crap, they are so bland and boring. Sure some Win32 apps look awful also when the developers decide they will build a load of their own custom controls but I just find modern apps so meh. The only good thing about them is they scale well to hi-dpi displays but so can Win32 apps if they are developed properly. Really Windows is still crap with hi-dpi though.

I don't really care about using Windows 10, I am doing so simply because it isn't any worse than 7 or 8 as it has a few features I like. It really doesn't offer me a whole lot more than 7 or 8 though to be honest.

The sad thing is Microsoft shipped it with half-finished modern apps. Groove Music and Film & TV are featureless. Edge is still a tech demo. Photos is still missing a bunch of features. Etc. Sure they will get better in time but right now they offer me absolutely nothing over third-party Win32 apps such as MPC-HC, iTunes and nomacs image lounge for example. Hell even Notepad is still the crappy old version which has been unchanged since Windows 2000 I think?

This is what I just don't understand about Microsoft. They say they are listening to the users but they have been working on Windows 10 for 2-3 years and this is what we get? If it were not free there is no way I would pay even $10 to upgrade.