Rainmeter - Still Relevant With Windows 10?

On ‎2015‎-‎09‎-‎09 at 3:29 AM, Simon Lang 9047 said:

is rainmeter freeware? will have to try it once i boot into my windows 10 again. 

Yes, Rainmeter is more than freeware, it's FOSS.

3 hours ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Yes, Rainmeter is more than freeware, it's FOSS.

thanks for the late answer. and now the shocking part. i have not booted into win 10 yet since my OP. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, scottfree1 said:

Rainmeter rules my second monitor, if I was using a single monitor probably wouldn't be using it.. 

Great to know 5 months later! :p

I've had a few people recommend this, will probably give it a go once I switch to Win 10 on my main machine.

1 hour ago, scottfree1 said:

Rainmeter rules my second monitor, if I was using a single monitor probably wouldn't be using it.. 

Great to know 5 months later! :p

I've had a few people recommend this, will probably give it a go once I switch to Win 10 on my main machine.

Too busy actually using my computer and screens to waste space and resources in this, there hasn't been a "need"for it since XP IMO 

• 1 year later...

I used it ages ago. Then a couple years ago on Android, I discovered Zooper, and then KLWP. Similar programs. Zooper made widgets, and KLWP made live wallpapers. A lot of similar concepts, though. But I think they were a bit more straightforward and easy to configure. I remember one or both having a ton of templates, it was super easy to get what you wanted. Only the really complex stuff required a bit of leg work. The idea that I could have that on Windows (I've since moved to an iPhone, and iOS doesn't have anything like that) is kind of intriguing. Especially since live tiles suck (they don't work for me). I also don't clutter my desktop with icons (I've made pretty intelligent use of my Start menu, if I do say so myself).

• 1 month later...

Since I gave up desktop modding back in the day, Rainmeter is the only program still being used. At the moment I use it as a live clock, calendar en temp monitor. It does the job without using too much resources. 

On 29/08/2015 at 0:30 PM, E.worm Jimmy said:

i gave up on modding when Win7 came out.     nowadays i am running win8.1 with classic shell.

Pretty much this. I modded the hell out of Windows XP. Windows xp was an ugly looking os imo.

But now i'm happy with the way windows 10 looks. I hope there would be more consistency with the way store apps look and i wish live tiles would be more useful but outside of that it's fine without modding.

On 09/09/2015 at 5:45 AM, Darrian said:

When I can pin live tiles to the desktop I will stop using rainmeter. Until then it is relevant to me.

I too wish we could do that. I don't see why the desktop could not be the start screen. I hate having to press my windows key to bring my live tiles up instead of just looking at my 2nd monitor when this one is free of any windows. With the desktop and the start screen merged the windows key would be used to bring the desktop to front.

Edited by LaP

• 2 weeks later...