Had a customer ask my why they should upgrade to Windows 10

For me the upgrade reasoning was quite simple, it was free and it is a newer OS.

I've been running it on my desktop with only some minor problems due to USB devices not allowing the desktop to go into sleep.

I was just finishing up a remote repair job on a customers computer who is probably in her late 60's early 70s. She had Windows 7 and told me she read on the local news paper about Windows 10 and asked me if she should upgrade. I told her yes. But then she asked me What benefits does windows 10 has and why she should upgrade.

I Couldn't answer her. I was like... um. well.. I can't really think of any. I told her , I mean if you had Windows 8 it's a great upgrade and easier to use, but for windows 7 ... I really don't know. I could think of a lot of new things Windows 10 had, but none of them would improve her life.

Actually, for people running windows 7 there are so many reasons for people to upgrade to windows 10, but for people using Windows 8.. I don't see what's the point of the upgrade. 

Multiple workspaces

Modern Apps

Improved under the hood performance

Windows To Go (However, I believe this is only for Enterprise.)

And a bunch of others I can't think of right now. :)

I'd tell her not to worry, by the sounds of it it'll only end up with more support calls to you.

Not as bad as another one who called me today after upgrading to Windows 10. My remote support software wasn't on there so I started by saying "Ok, go head and open your web browser" .. then she said "Ok, well you're going to help me out there ... whats a web browser?"

Edited by warwagon

^ Guess that's what you get when you support home users. My home support days are well and truly over. Haha

I did end up getting her walked through downloading the remote support software and getting connected to her.

I was just finishing up a remote repair job on a customers computer who is probably in her late 60's early 70s. She had Windows 7 and told me she read on the local news paper about Windows 10 and asked me if she should upgrade. I told her yes. But then she asked me What benefits does windows 10 has and why she should upgrade.

I Couldn't answer her. I was like... um. well.. I can't really think of any. I told her , I mean if you had Windows 8 it's a great upgrade and easier to use, but for windows 7 ... I really don't know. I could think of a lot of new things Windows 10 had, but none of them would improve her life.

You advised a customer to take out an upgrade and when they asked why you were stuffed. Congrats you got owned by a pensioner. In that position I wouldn't be requesting your services in the future.

^ Guess that's what you get when you support home users. My home support days are well and truly over. Haha

Some techs are going to be raking in cash from rolling back W10 installs. "Hey know nothing user just click here to perform the update". What could go wrong.

Edited by Son_Of_Dad

Some techs are going to be racking in cash from rolling back W10 installs. "Hey know nothing user just click here to perform the update". What could go wrong.

Well on the flip side someone who wants to upgrade to windows 10 are you going to tell them "Don't upgrade to 10 because it could screw stuff up" .. or are you going to say, "here let me do it for you and let me charge you for that?"

or are you going to say, "here let me do it for you and let me charge you for that?"

Microsoft have already told them it's free and so simple all they have to do is click OK. Ultimately though I'd tell them 10 doesn't offer them any great benefits and if they're satisfied with their current OS not updating will avoid ongoing patching and potential changes. Since they have a free update take a look in 9 months time.

If they're a tablet user MS might actually have a 1/2 decent tablet mode in 9 months!!

For the general public, that are using Windows 7, there is no need to upgrade.  Win 7 has basic support until 2020 and by then you will have got a new PC that has Win 10 preinstalled. 

If they fancy giving it a go then maybe leave it until about January so threshold 2 has been released and it's had some time to settle.