Windows Vista SP2 Fresh Install - Windows Update doesn't work?

Trying to help  friend out and having a hard time doing. I've attached a photo of the problem. When I run windows update, it says that an update need to be installed before it can check for updates. States that windows update will close and reopen, but it doesn't and hangs trying to find updates. I give up after several hours and reboot and try windows update again and the same comes up with regards to the new update software. If it installed it shouldn't be coming up again,. Should it?

20170112_212444.jpeg

6 minutes ago, jjb said:

Trying to help  friend out and having a hard time doing. I've attached a photo of the problem. When I run windows update, it says that an update need to be installed before it can check for updates. States that windows update will close and reopen, but it doesn't and hangs trying to find updates. I give up after several hours and reboot and try windows update again and the same comes up with regards to the new update software. If it installed it shouldn't be coming up again,. Should it?

20170112_212444.jpeg

correct, the install is failing for whatever reason, hence offering same update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/910339

Just now, jjb said:

Thanks Mando, I'm trying that to see if it works. Keeping my fingers crossed. Have you used it at all?

not recently, although I do have a fair amount of experience in the MS online offering in a corporate level for WSUS and SCCM

I used WSUS offline and installed 158 updates and after that windows update had 25 updates to install. I tried to use the windows update after installing updates and it finally worked.  Go figure. I'm happy now and I'll use WSUS offline if I have to ever use it again. Thanks Mando for suggesting it.

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2017 at 8:12 PM, jjb said:

I used WSUS offline and installed 158 updates and after that windows update had 25 updates to install. I tried to use the windows update after installing updates and it finally worked.  Go figure. I'm happy now and I'll use WSUS offline if I have to ever use it again. Thanks Mando for suggesting it.

the biggest problem is that Vista is still using an outdated Windows Update Agent (WUA) - after it tries to update WUA to v7.6.7600.256 for Vista SP2, it can take several hours for Vista to display any available updates.

New win32k.sys security update for March 2017 - KB4012497.  Manually download & install the KB4012497 win32k.sys security update from MS Update Catalog and reboot.  This new win32k.sys update should speed up WU scans for about a month, meaning the fix will work until April 10 or when Microsoft releases a new win32k.sys update on April 11 (patch Tuesday of April) - the last one for Vista until Microsoft ends extended support for Vista.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Nick H. locked this topic