Can Cortana be used without a microphone?

Stupid question, I know, but I don't have a microphone or any kind of voice input connected to my ThinkPad. So I have Cortana completely disabled. Any reason not to do this? Does Cortana have some way or working without voice input?

I'm still able to search just fine...

oh, I was hoping this was going to be some sort of enlightening tech riddle or maybe you taught cortana how to read sign language via a camera instead.

• Like 2

No. She's meant to be a hands-free assistant so I guess they figured if you're at a keyboard you could just do the things she can control yourself. It still answers questions if you type them, just not vocally.

I suppose it could depend on what you mean by using her, but at least some of Cortana's features can be accessed without a microphone. In fact, this is my primary method of interaction with her since the microphone is disabled (though all forms of telemetry are turned on).

As examples, one can set up reminders, send e-mail messages to contacts, ask Cortana questions or even tell her things simply by typing into the textbox. Note that the search prompt will change depending on the command / query.

Reminder.thumb.png.2825556e1780ed59b6b8b Leo.thumb.png.cdb2d9a7f75502fb188668bb94
Joke.thumb.png.999a0ae578ec9f98bd2dc8011Random.thumb.png.20755be9a8ed0059a639374

Cortana has *always* been able to be used without voice input (that is, in fact, still true with the beta on Android); that is the single biggest reason I prefer it to Google Now (even, if not especially, on Android - my tablet is just that; if it were a PHABLET, speaking into it would make sense).

In addition, the lack of need for spoken input means it can be used in places where both Google Now and Siri are non-starters (libraries, for example).  More and more public libraries are free hotspots - so are more and more fast-food places (McDonald's and Burger King are simply the two biggest examples outside of Starbucks).  Talking with your mouth full of food or drink (or at all in a library) is considered gauche; however, you can type while eating.  THAT is why Cortana beats both Google Now and Siri - you aren't limited to voice input.