Hard Drive Possessed by Satan

after 2-5 minutes of inactivity, something (or somebody...) starts using up all of my processor and writes to the harddrive. I tried this when ONLY Explorer was running. It is not an internet or network related phenomenon.

It also eats up system resources.

This was happening before my computer was reformatted, and was fine for about a month, but in the past few days, its started again.

this is a real problem, because, besides the strain on memory and processor, i can't really defragment my hd (because drive contents keep changing) and scandisk often takes forever.

enclosed is a crappy gif-quality pic of this act of evil in sysmon.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Some critical information concerning a hack take over is necessary for people to help identify your problem.

You need to show what applications you install on your system and whether your system is network together or not. Usually the easy target would be a networked computers left certain ports or many ports open for hackers to tame.

My suggestions to end your problem is to not install software from small known software party. Do not embellish yourself with many sharewares or freeware because thier software, in many cases, are the culprit to your problem.

my computer is not networked, nothing (to my knowlegde) but Explorer is running, no modem communications are occuring, and the only thing ive installed really since it started is updated version norton antivirus. (and they arent small 3rd party.) it happens even when none of their scanners are activeated or running

a list of what i have installed is available upon request

In some widely distributed "warez" version there were apparently viruses included. I believe it was what is reffered to as the "DevilsOwn" release. I cant confirm this, but you should check the task manager to look for anything suspicious. Try a re-format, then try it with a different version.

there are no warez's installed on my pc, and i have checked for viruses repeatedly. i can empty the task manager down to just Explorer running, and it still happens.

this was happening a while ago, and after reformatting, it was fine for the past month, but now..it's baaaack..

I just suggest trying out Windows 2k. I've never had any problems with it and ME crashes on my system (even during first installation) Windows ME was only on my system for like 5 mins cuz it crashed 3 times before I formatted. Windows 2k and the latter.. main Windows XP have never crashed on me. I was curious to what it looked like and tested it and i ran it for 2 days straight no probs and now back to 2k and Win2k is still tha bomb...

Get @ Me

blazing.gif

I have a couple ideas on this. I have also encountered that same problem with Nortons. Even though I had turned everything related to Nortons off, it was still running. On Win2k and XP you can still see it as a process. I have been using Nortons for a long time and it has always done it to me. I haven't used it in awhile lately cause they want me to pay for the definitions.

My other guess is system restore. I have seen system restore do the same thing too, but system restore was only in windows ME and XP.

If you have windows ME, try disabling system restore and check that. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling Nortons Antivirus. You pretty much have to be scientific about it.

I have a "similar" problem [?] with WinME. After being left on its own for like 5-10 minutes it will access the HD like it is defragmenting or something. I have found NO solution to this. This computer is NOT doing anything and a quick Ctrl-Alt-Del shows only Explorer running. This "artifact" does NOT occur on WinXP [or Win98 I "think"].

Also, why the hell has EVERYONE got it in for DevilsOwn? Every few minutes I see a post, get an email or an instant message about this bug and that bug and NOW that it has viruses in. I have scanned it with Norton AntiVirus 2002 [8] and it does NOT have any viruses. People you've just got to face the obviously facts: WinXP is buggy and it's far easier to blame it on DevilsOwn rather than M$.

In fact if I hear anymore about DevilsOwn I will be SURE that it's just a few members of the group trying to get themselves noticed! The sad thing now is that because there are these rumours about the DevilsOwn release, everyone will blame it on DevilsOwn. Someone please explain HOW DevilsOwn put in these bugs and "invisible" viruses! Either these guys are the most incredible programmers or people are making it up.

-mortensenj

Thank you mortensen... My fingers were getting ready to do a full out FLAME on these idiots that keep blaming everything on Devilsown. I don't understand why they want to blame hardware/software incompatibilities on it when it is MS's fault.

Do you guys really want to know what your computer does? Well from experience ok... from experience... Here's what I think it does... Your OS has a built-in call home that none of the apps have detected.. but I have found two apps that can detect this. Norton Internet Security... that's one apps that can see what your computer does...

Go here... http://www.all-nettools.com/ and then download one of the tools... now Norton Internet Security can get the IP of place it's calling... but this tool in all-nettools even give you the specific port and it will shows you clearly which process and port is open... Use NIS and this tool together to gather info... and you will see what I mean... and then I am very positive that everyone will be so dam scared to use Windows from that day on... trust me... go try it...

One more thing... for tracking purposes, do not allow NIS to block what IE was doing... ignore it... and confirm it's action with that other tool...

This ought to scare even Neobond! hehehehehhe

have you guys ever heard of System Idle Scan ... NAV's default setting is to scan your hard drive for Viruses when you aint using it :-) cant seem to find the setting on the 2002 version but its there.. corparate version def has it....

I use Norton AntiVirus 2002 and have used previous versions and never known it to cause rampant hard disk activity. As for system restore I doubt it very much, and NEway... as soon as I install WinME I always disable system restore [WinXP's system restore is MUCH better and when you disable it it deletes all saves points - something which WinME NEVER did and would HOG HD space].

As for WinXP dialing home... do I actually care? There must be 200,000 people using WinXP illegally already. M$ have already said that in the activation process and windowsupdate site that NO IDENTIFIABLE information is given out... and nor would WinXP give out information. If M$ was ever discovered to do something like THAT then it would be in SERIOUS trouble as the press would get the wrong idea and M$'s stock price will plummet [as it does at every rumour].

-mortensenj

• 2 weeks later...

hmm sure it probably has its problems, as would any other piece of software with millions of line of code. but you know, for as many people who post with problems, theres many many more people who don't bother to post because they're satisfied and don't have any problems at all.