Is my laptop just not fast enough?

Follow the steps I already outlined.

Anything said since that post by various people was just confirming it but using different words which came out confusing perhaps

If you had wanted to go with the faster Samsung 950 then some research would have been prudent. But the 850 that you selected uses the same interface as a normal SSD which the motherboard has to support for sure. (but it is still a very fast drive)

1. So no matter what, you need to open the laptop. So do it now. Before you order anything

2. With your own eyeballs, verify the M.2 socket exists. The service manual says it does but sometimes manufacturers will remove parts to save money.

2-A. If you see a spot for the M.2 near the hard drive you might be in luck and can add a new M.2 and still keep the current hard drive for extra storage.

2-B. If you can't see the M.2 socket near the hard drive, remove the hard drive per service manual instructions and see if the M.2 socket shares the same space as the current drive. It is also possible when you unplug the currrent drive there will be an adapter plug so that they both would use the same socket. You will find out.

3-A. If you find a M.2 socket then order the M.2 version of the Samsung 850

3-B. If there is no M.2 socket then order the normal looking SSD version of the Samsung 850

---------------------

Open the laptop now. You can keep it open until the new SSD arrives if you have another computer to communicate here.

Get a container with a cover that kids/dogs/cats could knock over to hold all the screws.

Get a piece of paper and sketch a big rectangle and then label which screw goes where as you remove it.

Make sure you have the screwdrivers listed in the service manual. You might not have small Torx ones but if you live in a big city near a decent computer store you can buy a kit of small Torx for $5 to $8. Cell phone stores might have them but they charge too much for everything...

Have a magnifying glass handy.

Be insanely gentle around the ultra thin ribbon cable from the motherboard to the LCD and don't move anthing in a way that could stress that connection.

Previous gen laptops had a nice panel on the bottom where you popped two screws to upgrade the laptop. 17" drives often had two of these convenient bays. You are embarking on a journey to half-dissasemble your laptop just to change the hard drive! So be proud of this step into hardware land and snap a photo or two or twenty as you go along.

Get an M2 sata SSD to play it safe.

If you want to play even safer, get a sata SSD (standard 2.5").

Okay thanks guys. I'm thinking about getting an SSD but before I do so, will it help the laptop a lot? I mean will my laptop be much faster or significantly faster? If it's just going to be a little faster, I feel like it's not worth it. Also, which is the fastest one that would be guaranteed to work with my laptop? Thanks! :)

You're really over thinking this.

Tasks that require I/O will def be faster - the difference between traditional hard drive (especially 5400RPM) and SSD is chalk and cheese. In other words, you'll see somewhat of a performance increase. But dont expect wonders if the tasks you do require CPU power, because a hard drive isn't going to make the CPU any faster. 

According to this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/HP-ENVY-m6-w102dx-x360-Change-hard-drive-to-SSD/td-p/5267238

you will need to purchase the 2.5" drive.  No big deal.  do this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443657748&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+evo+850

and one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443657894&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+ssd+transfer+kit

If you don't use the transfer kit, you will not be able to transfer your info over prior to installing the hd.  Honestly though, I would install from scratch if you have the os disks.

Tasks that require I/O will def be faster - the difference between traditional hard drive (especially 5400RPM) and SSD is chalk and cheese. In other words, you'll see somewhat of a performance increase. But dont expect wonders if the tasks you do require CPU power, because a hard drive isn't going to make the CPU any faster. 

The issue it is bloated with crapware taking cpu cycles.  a clean install will fix the youtube issues, and a ssd will make apps and the os load faster.  I would be willing to remote in and de-crapify it.

The issue it is bloated with crapware taking cpu cycles.  a clean install will fix the youtube issues, and a ssd will make apps and the os load faster.  I would be willing to remote in and de-crapify it.

If you could do that for me, that would be great. I will be doing a fresh install right now. It might take a few hours though.

hook me up with a teamviewer sesssion...

www.teamviewer.com

pm me the id and password that comes up.

Fwiw, if you have never used it before, as long as you don't publically give out the info it will just be you and me.  the password resets after about 15 minutes and would have to supply a new one after that time period if no one connects.

hook me up with a teamviewer sesssion...

www.teamviewer.com

pm me the id and password that comes up.

Fwiw, if you have never used it before, as long as you don't publically give out the info it will just be you and me.  the password resets after about 15 minutes and would have to supply a new one after that time period if no one connects.

Oh yes, thanks. I will start the reformat process now. Thanks! :)

clean install = not the HP image.

Ahh, I'm doing it from the recovery setting. Plus I use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall all the junk.

Ahh, I'm doing it from the recovery setting.

That is a giant waste of time.

You have taken flight with pixie dust and are back in fantasy thinking land.

If you must try it, download a clean install image from Microsoft and install it on a USB stick.

Boot to USB and wipe the hard drive and then do a fresh install.

If you upgrade to Windows 10 first, you can download a Windows 10 clean install image which is the route I would take if I had the ability to close my eyes and pretend a crap 5400 rpm hard drive is actually a modern SSD if I wish hard enough and think about ponies a lot...

Okay thanks guys. I'm thinking about getting an SSD but before I do so, will it help the laptop a lot? I mean will my laptop be much faster or significantly faster? If it's just going to be a little faster, I feel like it's not worth it. Also, which is the fastest one that would be guaranteed to work with my laptop? Thanks! :)

It will be dramatically better.

That is a giant waste of time.

You have taken flight with pixie dust and are back in fantasy thinking land.

If you must try it, download a clean install image from Microsoft and install it on a USB stick.

Boot to USB and wipe the hard drive and then do a fresh install.

If you upgrade to Windows 10 first, you can download a Windows 10 clean install image which is the route I would take if I had the ability to close my eyes and pretend a crap 5400 rpm hard drive is actually a modern SSD if I wish hard enough and think about ponies a lot...

I know you think you know better than everyone else, but I promise, you do not. I already showed you in a prior post that I massively higher performing CPU and RAM and same performing SSD did not change performance that much when it comes to things like opening VS, which lets face it, is a slow pig to start up. Boot up time is similar too. Therefore there should not be a major discrepancy between old laptop and new unless there is a software issue or hardware failure. I can run 12312445345213123 different programs on my workstation however. The OP only said 8. 8GB can handle that.

Now can he make his current laptop faster than the older one with software cleanup/fixing? No. Can he match performance? You bet. Can he surpass performance with an SSD AND software fixing? Hell yes.

Edited by adrynalyne

Every time he is about to get logical and do something sensible, somebody posts some contradictory information and we end up right back into nowhere land again.

The laptop feels a bit slower than his ancient workhorse 17" and when you look at the specs it makes perfect sense so the item that would probably get him into "reasonable perfermance" land is a SSD. Of course he would be better off with a decent laptop, but given his non-demanding usage scenario, it is quite reasonable to expect the SSD will make a significant  perceptual difference in "general slowness"

It will be dramatically better.

I know you think you know better than everyone else, but I promise, you do not. I already showed you in a prior post that I massively higher performing CPU and RAM and same performing SSD did not change performance that much when it comes to things like opening VS, which lets face it, is a slow pig to start up. Boot up time is similar too. Therefore there should not be a major discrepancy between old laptop and new unless there is a software issue or hardware failure. I can run 12312445345213123 different programs on my workstation however. The OP only said 8. 8GB can handle that.

Now can he make his current laptop faster than the older one with software cleanup/fixing? No. Can he match performance? You bet. Can he surpass performance with an SSD AND software fixing? Hell yes.

Hey dude. We are saying the exact same thing. There is something about the words I use that is making you think otherwise.

I have said right from the beginning that a SSD will solve his problem.

He has to freakin dissassemble half his laptop to get to the hard drive bay and he totally balks at that everytime, hits his mental fantasy button and re-asks his orignal question over and over, gets another ambiguous response from yet somebody else and here we go again in this endless loop we are in.

I form a mental picture of my Mom grabbing a screw driver, removing a zillion ultra tiny screws, lifting off the entire top of the laptop assembly dangling by  fragile ribbon cable to the LCD that will KILL his laptop if damaged in any way and then removing the hard drive assembly to insert a shiney new SSD. I suspect he has the same picture in his mind...

I predicted this right at the start based on his lack of technical ability and jumped to suggesting he try to get store credit at Best Buy for a new laptop. I was NOT being insensitive to his needs or money etc but just trying to solve the issue within the realm of the practical.

Hey dude. We are saying the exact same thing. There is something about the words I use that is making you think otherwise.

I have said right from the beginning that a SSD will solve his problem.

He has to freakin dissassemble half his laptop to get to the hard drive bay and he totally balks at that everytime, hits his mental fantasy button and re-asks his orignal question over and over, gets another ambiguous response from yet somebody else and here we go again in this endless loop we are in.

I form a mental picture of my Mom grabbing a screw driver, removing a zillion ultra tiny screws, lifting off the entire top of the laptop assembly dangling by  fragile ribbon cable to the LCD that will KILL his laptop if damaged in any way and then removing the hard drive assembly to insert a shiney new SSD. I suspect he has the same picture in his mind...

I predicted this right at the start based on his lack of technical ability and jumped to suggesting he try to get store credit at Best Buy for a new laptop. I was NOT being insensitive to his needs or money etc but just trying to solve the issue within the realm of the practical.

I guess I keep getting off track when you keep talking about pixie dust, pipe dreams, telling people they are wrong, wasting time, etc.

It feels like you are telling the OP to only listen to you.  There is some truth that performance issues right now are partially software related. I think what it boils down to and where lines are getting crossed is that if you want to match performance of your old machine, fix your software. If you want to surpass it, SSD it. On a side not and not only I really would go with myself, maybe having Geek Squad put it in there for him. Heck, I'll do it for 50 bucks if he sends me the laptop and SSD. Not that I expect him to, he doesn't know me. Just saying, it might not be hard to find someone who has 15 minutes and the ability to do it for cheap.

According to this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/HP-ENVY-m6-w102dx-x360-Change-hard-drive-to-SSD/td-p/5267238

you will need to purchase the 2.5" drive.  No big deal.  do this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443657748&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+evo+850

and one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443657894&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+ssd+transfer+kit

If you don't use the transfer kit, you will not be able to transfer your info over prior to installing the hd.  Honestly though, I would install from scratch if you have the os disks.

That post by a non-HP service technician is not definative IMO.

The service manual clearly shows a M.2 socket.

But to be certain I asked him to open his unit and do a visual check to confirm since he has to open it anyways and if he never gets up the nerve to open it, then the whole upgrade scenario needs to be eliminated.

It really doesn't matter if he gets the 850 in M.2 or SSD form and the SSD is more likely to fit, but it is important for him to know if he has the desire to proceed with the steps involved.

If the M.2 fits then thie only advantage to the form factor is being more likely to be able to use it in future laptops.

On the "transfer kit" idea, why not just use a $5 external USB drive case? More usseful to him in the long run as well.

But he has already reinstalled his system so I suspect he has nothing to transfer anyways...

Do me one favor, after it is all done doing its thing, don't install anything.  Uninstall the antivirus using add remove programs.  Uninstall any toolbars using add remove programs.  Let me know when that is done, I will take over from there.  I will finish up the other bloatware uninstall using add/remove programs...I will do some other performance tuning to see if it helps then we try youtube with me disconnected and see if there is an improvement.  If there is load up what  you want systematically and testing after a reboot of each piece of software to see if it has negative effects.  If you are happy with where it is great, if not get an ssd to increase speed (very noticeable btw...night and day).

But he has already reinstalled his system so I suspect he has nothing to transfer anyways...

the OS being that he doesn't have installation media to do a clean install.  He will also need software to clone with that he can follow the bouncing ball instructions with. 

Lets just get his laptop to the same speed as his old one.  We can work on making it faster later.

Well you can't do that. New unit has same hard drive, same RAM and slower CPU.

Plus it is a newer "thin type" so the cooling system will be non-existent compared to his 17" and it will throttle-down constantly.

That being said, you can get it reasonably close to what he had and then we are right back where we started where his new unit just won't "feel" any better than his old one. Becuase it isn't. No mystery.

Adrynalyne is correct. It needs an SSD to feel like the money he spent a new laptop got him anywhere.

And there I think we hit a brick wall but I would love to think he can slap in a new SSD and this epic discussion over a minor upgrade comes to an end.

I thought the complaint was that it was slow with playing youtube videos.

From Original Post: "YouTube videos lag whenever I try to play 720p or 1080p videos."

YouTube videos shouldn't lag on that machine at all.  Hell, they shouldn't lag on an i3.

"When I have too many programs open (for example 8 of the same programs) on both my new and old laptop, my old laptop seems to run and "feel" faster."

Maybe, but this is more memory than processor related.

I would say there is more to in than simply slapping in a ssd and getting it to open programs...youtube is internet speed and memory, there should not be much hard drive activity with it...unless for some reason he is downloading it, it should just about all be caching into memory.  That processor is plenty fast enough to not lag anything youtube has to offer.

the OS being that he doesn't have installation media to do a clean install.  He will also need software to clone with that he can follow the bouncing ball instructions with. 

He can download an install image from Microsoft.

I think he ends up in a better spot if he upgrades to Windows 10 first. That will store his "machine key" in Microsoft servers and then he can wipe his drive and use a clean install image of Windows 10 from Microsoft.

All he needs is a USB stick for $5 if he doesn't aleady have a dozen lying around...

He will get a slight performance boost from Windows 10 and who knows, it might be enough by itself to get him into "feel good" land...

I thought the complaint was that it was slow with playing youtube videos.

YouTube videos shouldn't lag on that machine at all.  Hell, they shouldn't lag on an i3.

Maybe, but this is more memory than processor related.

I would say there is more to in than simply slapping in a ssd and getting it to open programs...youtube is internet speed and memory, there should not be much hard drive activity with it...unless for some reason he is downloading it, it should just about all be caching into memory.

OMG - Not Youtube again!

That one wasted a page of useless discussion no matter how many times I pointed out it was a Red Herring. The Youtube just mesmerized people like deers in a headlight.

It turned out that he had a conflicting browser plug-in.

OMG - Not Youtube again!

That one wasted a page of useless discussion no matter how many times I pointed out it was a Red Herring. The Youtube just mesmerized people like deers in a headlight.

It turned out that he had a conflicting browser plug-in.

Sorry, actually it's still happening. I thought it was a plug in but all it did was help. If I'm transferring files to my USB drive and opening up another program, I'll have YouTube in the background and it will lag like crazy. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that it came with Windows 10. I'm suspecting that it could be Windows 10 that it is still buggy. I don't know.

Tell you what,  if I can't make it better...he sends me the drive and laptop, i will install the ssd for free...he pays shipping both ways.  Should be able to get it to the same speed as his old one. ..the specs are close enough.