[New York] Yankees legend Yogi Berra dead at 90

DocM

120838-Yogi_berra_quotes_1_001_medium.jp

http://nypost.com/2015/09/23/yankees-legend-yogi-berra-dead-at-90/

Yankees legend Yogi Berra dead at 90

Yogi Berra, a three-time MVP who was the backbone of a record 10 world-champion Yankees teams in the 1940, 50s and 60s and who became one of the most beloved figures in franchise history despite a lengthy estrangement from the team, died Tuesday night, according to the Yogi Berra Museum. He was 90.

Berra, whose wife of 65 years, Carmen, died in March 2014, had been in failing health for some time. His death was announced by the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center in Little Falls, N.J., to which Berra had devoted himself in the final years of his life.

Berra, a catcher who was named the A.L.s most valuable player in 1951, 54 and 55, led the Yankees to five consecutive world championships (1949-53) and also led a team that included Mickey Mantle and, for three of those seasons, Joe DiMaggio, in RBIs for seven consecutive seasons (1949-55). Berra was an 18-time All-Star, a member of a record 14 A.L. pennant winners and a 1972 inductee into the Baseball Hall of Fame. That was the same year his uniform No. 8 was retired by the Yankees.

Berra, who dropped out of school after the 8th grade to help support his family, is nearly as well known for his unique use of the English language as he is for his baseball career. His wit and wisdom  'Its never over til its over'. 'When you come to a fork in the road, take it'. 'If the world were perfect, it wouldnt be'. have not only found their way into the American lexicon, but also into Bartletts Familiar Quotations.

While Berra protested he 'never said some of the things I said', it was precisely those things that made him a part of the fabric of baseball for more than seven decades and a national treasure.

People who dont know anything about baseball, know about Yogi Berra, former Yankees pitcher David Cone told The Post in 2012.
>

And last we forget, the classic AFLAC insurance commercial

https://youtu.be/O-EZf56AfYc

Macsen Overdrive

The world seems a bit darker today. :(

wahoospa

Truly a sad day in the world of sports

Anybody here seen my old friend Yogi?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
I thought I saw him playin' ball up over the hill
with Mickey, Roger, Clete, and the boys

• Like 2
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By +jnelsoninjax
      Yankee owner George Steinbrenner died in 2010, but his appreciation for the men and women in blue who protect New York City lives on.

For 32 years, Steinbrenner's Yankee Silver Shield Foundation has provided for the education of the children of New York City police officers, firemen and Port Authority employees who died in the line of duty, and will do so for the family of NYPD officer Rafael Ramos, gunned down by a cold-blooded killer Saturday along with his partner, Wenjian Liu.

The foundation will pay for the education of Ramos' son, 13-year-old Jaden, who attends Charles O. Dewey MS in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, and offered to pay for the education of another son, Justin, who is a sophomore at Bowdoin College in Maine.

On Sunday, however, Bowdoin president Barry Mills informed the Ramos family that the college would provide full financial aid to enable Ramos to complete his Bowdoin education.

• By Hurmoth
      Sleeping fan sues Major League Baseball, Yankees, ESPN for defamation, seeks $10 million
        A fan caught on camera sleeping during a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game in April has filed a defamation lawsuit against Major League Baseball, the Yankees, ESPN and the game's two announcers (John Kruk and Dan Shulman), according to The Courthouse News Service.   Andrew Robert Rector, in a lawsuit filed in Bronx Supreme Court, lays out why he felt he was defamed after images of him nodding off at Yankee Stadium on April 13 were broadcast.   "In the course of watching the game plaintiff napped and this opened unending verbal crusade against the napping plaintiff," the complaint stated (per The Smoking Gun).   Kruk and Shulman poked a little fun at Rector, as you can see in the video below.  
        More at http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2014/07/sleeping_fan_sues_major_league_baseball_yankees_espn_for_defamation_seeks_10_million.html     :laugh:
    • By TAZMINATOR
      Mass shooting... baseball is postponed to Tuesday...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9681825/atlanta-braves-washington-nationals-postponed-navy-yard-shootings

Mods, feel free to move this if this is not belong here.
    • By Hum
      ATLANTA -- An Atlanta Braves fan who fell to his death at the team's stadium told his mother in a phone call shortly before the accident that he was preparing to head to his seat after a rain delay.

A lifelong Braves fan, Ronald Lee Homer Jr. fell about 65 feet at Monday night's game between the Atlanta Braves and Philadelphia Phillies, which had been delayed for nearly two hours by heavy rain.

Homer, 30, spoke with his mother by cellphone as he and other fans waited for the rain to let up. In that conversation, he said the rain was beginning to slack off and indicated he was preparing to go to his seat.

"He said `I love you mom, and I said `I love you too' and that was it," his mother, Connie Homer, said in an interview on Tuesday morning.

Police said the fall appears to have been an accident and there was no indication of foul play. They declined to release many

more
    • By Hum
      Dylan Williams was practicing with his Union City (Ind.) Little League team when he was struck in the neck with a line drive. The boy immediately fell to the ground and never got up, sending both coaches and teammates into utter confusion.

"He just fell to the ground," Erick Williams, Dylan?s father, told WXIN. "I even yelled at him to get up."

There was a reason for Erick Williams to be in shock; while it was clear that Dylan was hurt by the line drive, there was no sense that it should have been life threatening. Usually, fatal heart conditions are brought on by chest impacts and other similar strikes, not those to the neck.

Doctors apparently agreed, as did CAT scans of the area of Williams injuries, concluding that Dylan Williams died from a heart attack, but couldn?t explain to his parents or Little League officials why he had suffered cardiac arrest.

"They?re at a loss," said Georgiana Williams, Dylan?s mother. "They didn?t know how to explain it to us. They didn?t know. They did CAT scans on where the ball hit him. Nothing. No injuries."

more