Is a SIM required to set up a Windows Phone?

Hello,

I was considering getting a Windows Phone and not putting a SIM inside it (kind of like using it like an iPod Touch). Would I be able to activate/set up a Windows Phone without putting a SIM inside?

Hello,

I was considering getting a Windows Phone and not putting a SIM inside it (kind of like using it like an iPod Touch). Would I be able to activate/set up a Windows Phone without putting a SIM inside?

It should work just fine without one.

• Like 1

Hello,

When you power up the device you'll receive a "no SIM" warning that only emergency calls can be made.  Once you acknowledge that, you will be able to use the device on Wi-Fi.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Hello,

When you power up the device you'll receive a "no SIM" warning that only emergency calls can be made.  Once you acknowledge that, you will be able to use the device on Wi-Fi.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you!

I use all my old phones as emergency phones or MP3 players. I have one in my car and my wifes in case we need to make an emergency call, it still works for that.

Good call Snowbooks

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did NOT add a SIM card and was able to load Insider 10 mobile. I am able to load music etc. to the 32 gig SD Card I installed. I was also able to download the updates from the Microsoft Store all via WiFi. It will make Emergency calls as required by Law. When the phone starts up it says "Sim error" and offer two choices:

Emergency call or close. Choose close.

It will now operate like a normal phone except you cannot make calls other than emergency ones. If you use this as an emergency phone in your vehicle may I recommend a battery backup say 10,000mAh or more.

• Like 2