Linux Mint 17.2...!

So, I decided to try LM17.2, and I've got to say I like it over standard Ubuntu & Kubuntu.  However, I finally managed to reinstall Win7 on this laptop, but I may try using the feature to install LM alongside my Windows install...hopefully it does that automatically, if not, then I'll wait until I get a bigger HDD or SSD, this laptop can hold two drives, so if I do get an SSD then if I get an HDD it'll be my storage drive.

Has anyone else used Linux Mint, as well as installed Linux alongside Windows?

if you install mint after win7 it's boot manager automatically detects the windows installation and everything should be fine.
i have today installed kubuntu alongside windows7 and it should be the same way with linux mint.

The problem I have is that this ASUS ROG laptop which I bought used a few months ago when my 2012 Acer's LCD backlight burnt out, and is from 2012 only has a 500GB HDD, but like I said can hold 2 drives, so I may replace the original drive with an SSD and then fill the second drive bay with a 2TB drive for storage.

500 GB is more than ennough for linux. SSD is nice as it will improve the speed so if you can afford it i would do it. 

I have an SSD in my Acer, which my friend is getting the screen fixed for me, it was the same one I had in the gaming desktop I built which still had HDDs until I replaced it with an SSD in November of 2013 and sold in Feb of 2014.  So, I know the speed increase I'd get, but like the HDD in this system it's basically a 500GB model.  I'll probably pull the drive from that one and put it in this one, unless I buy a new one.  Hopefully SATA III is backwards compatible with SATA II.

It is. Just like USB and PCI-e, everything SATA is backwards compatible.

As Simon said above, 500GB is enough. I'm running LM17.1 off a 120GB SSD. Hence all my downloads, I'm barely using 1/3 of the drive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...