Real life battery life of iPhone 6S vs 5S; significantly longer on 6S?

Just a question.... my iPhone 5S has, in some cases, a very short daily life. I mostly 'just' use WhatApp, mail, call, Facebook (and close it down after use), safari, 1 or 2 games and maybe 2 other apps. Nothing really fancy.
I'm on 4G/LTE internet.

Is the battery life of the 6S significantly better than the 5S in normal daily usage (and not with 30-like tabs open in Safari etc.)? And how much longer (minutes/hours) are we talking here?

It has been a while from my 5S but I do remember the battery life being better - but after a year the battery life is going to deplete anyway.

As far as battery usage goes, Facebook is the worst hog of battery/data on my phone because of Background App refresh (even after closing it, it'll run).

It has been a while from my 5S but I do remember the battery life being better - but after a year the battery life is going to deplete anyway.

As far as battery usage goes, Facebook is the worst hog of battery/data on my phone because of Background App refresh (even after closing it, it'll run).

Apple tech says my battery is still on 99.8% health. My phone is 9 months old. I do have the feeling that my battery is draining (just now in a 4 min call my battery drained like 10%).
I do have the FB app installed, but closing and background refresh turned off still makes it a battery-killer?

Apple tech says my battery is still on 99.8% health. My phone is 9 months old. I do have the feeling that my battery is draining (just now in a 4 min call my battery drained like 10%).
I do have the FB app installed, but closing and background refresh turned off still makes it a battery-killer?

You have the back ground app refresh turned off? Then it shouldn't use anything (most people assume because they swipe the app off it closes, which is wrong).

You can go into your settings on iOS 9 and see what is killing your battery so fast (after 9 months, I find it extremely hard to believe that your battery health is 99.8% and I'm personally not sure how they are even checking it to come up with that number anyway as I don't know of any ways to get a specific statistic out of iOS like that).

You can go into your settings on iOS 9 and see what is killing your battery so fast (after 9 months, I find it extremely hard to believe that your battery health is 99.8% and I'm personally not sure how they are even checking it to come up with that number anyway as I don't know of any ways to get a specific statistic out of iOS like that).

Yeah, that health of 99.8% seems high after 9 months.
You can get this information from a Mac OSX app called CoconutBattery. Plug in the phone to the mac via USB and it will provide you details on the battery of that iOS device.

You can get this information from a Mac OSX app called CoconutBattery. Plug in the phone to the mac via USB and it will provide you details on the battery of that iOS device.

It's a shame I just shipped my last OSX device out (sold). That would have been interesting to see! Thanks for the tip!

The 99.8% is based on the build-in iOS Diagnostics sent to Apple support and told to me my an Apple employee.

The 99.8% is based on the build-in iOS Diagnostics sent to Apple support and told to me my an Apple employee.

Would you still have a screenshot of this? I suspect you were told the current charge level of the device rather than the health of the battery. There are two fields to check, the DesignCapacity and the FullChargeCapacity. You can work out the health from there.

Well, it seems there is also a method to do this on windows. You need iBackupBot installed (there is a trial version) along with iTunes.

You can get the battery information that the Apple Genius gets by installing iBackupBot.

1. Open iBackupBot
  2. Plugin your iOS device
  3. Select your device under Devices on the left
    Devices
  4. Select More Information
  5. See Battery details - your battery is in good health if FullChargeCapacity (health of your battery) is near DesignCapacity

Battery diag details

If you haven't bought a 6s yet, I would advise waiting. There is this whole fiasco right now where battery benchmarks are showing a significant difference between the Samsung and TSMC A9 chipsets (about 20% in favor of TSMC). Samsung A9s appear to be the predominant chipset, which shouldn't surprise anyone considering they are a manufacturing power house. So if you buy a 6s now, it is likely going to include the Samsung A9.

Who knows if the difference is really significant or just an artifact of the bench test methodology and therefore not representative of real world performance? Still, if you haven't gotten a 6s yet and are concerned about battery life you might wait a bit.

I'm surprised Neowin doesn't have an article about this, yet. On one hand, the trolls here love a good Apple bashing article. On the other hand, lots of Samsung fanboys here.

I haven't bought it (yet).
In the end - some later time - when supply meets more the demand-numbers, will only be the TSMC chipsets/CPU be used? Or will Samsung "up their game" in newer models to meet the specs of TSMC?

what is a good music app for iphone?

This thread is about battery life, NOT about music apps. Just create a new thread for that topic!

• 3 weeks later...

I have an option as to sell my 5S, but before I do that I'd like to know if - besides 3D touch and all that - battery life is better on a 6S as compared to a 5S in average daily usage?

It's better, but not a significant amount. If you want to last easily a full day (and more) go with the Plus. Benchmarks don't tell much because everyone's usage is different.

It's better, but not a significant amount. If you want to last easily a full day (and more) go with the Plus. Benchmarks don't tell much because everyone's usage is different.

My opinion is the the 6S has a large screen/form factor, so a 6S Plus is no option anyhow.
I know usage varies from person to person, but the specs listed by Apple (or other vendors) are not representative on daily usage...... it more with all feats turned of, have a temp of 16.747489484 degrees, perfect 4G reception etc etc (so impossible anyhow :|)