Beware if upgrading Ubuntu 14.04 to 15.10!

Unobscured Vision

Treat my experience as one of those "Careful if you plan on doing this" stories.

I started off with regular, plain old Ubuntu 14.04. Did the upgrades, used it for a couple of months, all was well. And then I decided that I wanted to monkey around with KDE/Plasma 5.4 ...

Well, in order to do that we need to be on Kubuntu 15.04, right? No problem, we'll just do the tedious and maddening upgrade process -- first to 14.10, then again to 15.04, then install kubuntu-desktop, enable the kubuntu-backports PPA and install KDE/Plasma 5.4 that way.

What a pain in the rear. No, I mean it. Seriously. No, really. REALLY.

DON'T DO IT.

You'll wish you hadn't. You'll break your system in ways you never though possible. I've got a brand new bug on Launchpad now from the problems, and Apport is now full (according to the program itself, when it isn't crashing -- ironic since it's also attempting to report a problem with itself!).

Unity is even suffering. The Dash won't display my Applications.

Ahh, the sound of glass breaking ... it's been a long time since I heard that. 

Our buddy Simon Lang has suggested that I should wipe and do a fresh install. He's probably right, at this point. I think I've broken my Linux install ... :no:

So, gentle users, take some advice -- don't upgrade from 14.04 and expect everything to come up tens. 

fusi0n

To be FAIR.. you went from Ubuntu to Kubuntu that is in Beta.. 

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

True, but the problems started when I did the upgrade to 15.04. I had to:

- go into recovery mode, reset the session manager to LightDM (from SDDM), 

- repair & override LightDM manually from Windows (which meant installing the Ext4FSD) because I was getting the dreaded "white screen", 

- then I had to remove kubuntu-desktop after I'd installed it because of the kde-telepathy bug (otherwise APT wouldn't allow updates to process) ...

and then finally I was able to do something useful. I only performed the upgrade to 15.10 this morning. It's barely been an hour. At least my Web Browser works still.

oldtimefighter

I have never updated a desktop OS to new a version in my life and for good reason. Clean install man...

DavidM

So you went from 14.04 to 15.04, then from Ubuntu to KDE4 and then to Plasma 5, I'm surprised you didn't open a black hole and get sucked in.

Always, always do a clean install, that's why we use a different partition for /home right? You could have skipped the upgrade, installed ubuntu base/minimal and then did a clean Plasma 5 install. No Ubuntu, no QT4 (except whats missing) just clean QT5.

One more thing, you can use LightDM with Plasma 5, you just won't be able to have it look Breeze-y, auto-login (if possible) and you won't even have to see it.

• Like 1
Jason S.

I use Ubuntu in a VM environment on my laptop. i dont use any specific themes or GUIs... i should be ok to upgrade from 15.04 right?

simonlang

in theory what BetaguyGZT did should work without any problem, however in other forums i read lots of users having problems with installing and using additional DEs on ubuntu, the blame lays on unity. back in the old gnome2 days i installed kde alongside gnome without any problem. 

having said this doing a clean install of kubuntu 15.10 is really worth it. 

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

So you went from 14.04 to 15.04, then from Ubuntu to KDE4 and then to Plasma 5, I'm surprised you didn't open a black hole and get sucked in.

Always, always do a clean install, that's why we use a different partition for /home right? You could have skipped the upgrade, installed ubuntu base/minimal and then did a clean Plasma 5 install. No Ubuntu, no QT4 (except whats missing) just clean QT5.

One more thing, you can use LightDM with Plasma 5, you just won't be able to have it look Breeze-y, auto-login (if possible) and you won't even have to see it.

I guess if I'm gonna break it do it properly right? I'm not called "Betaguy" for nothing. :D

I don't mind logging in, it's comforting to know that I'm the only one who can "get in" and use my machine. And I don't have a preference for session managers, I rather like SDDM when it behaves but I like LightDM as well simply because I can fix it manually if something goes wrong.

I've no experience with Ubuntu Base/Minimal. I've heard it's bare-metal fast and clean though. Might give it a go on a VM sometime.

I use Ubuntu in a VM environment on my laptop. i dont use any specific themes or GUIs... i should be ok to upgrade from 15.04 right?

Should be fine.

Unobscured Vision

Little update. I fresh installed Kubuntu 15.10, only to find that the system had been only partially installed. Recovery Mode -> DPKG revealed that it was missing about 389-some-odd-MB worth of packages that needed to be installed that it didn't have (explains why the installation failed to reach the desktop), so I attempted to repair it myself. Got this error multiple times (not every time) during a few package installations, subsequent reboots would help but it would always stop when trying to install accountservice:

Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect: No such file or directory (g-io-error-quark, 1)

The issue with this is that it causes any remaining operations to halt, and I am unable to continue repairing my installation.

Now, according to everything I've read thus far about the error, it has to do with systemd failing to see a mounted partition or a partition that's supposed to be there. Strange, because it seems like if I had some sort of Hard Disk failure going on, there's way more that would be happening than simply this. 

Anyone?

Ad Man Gamer

I see your problem, your not using gentoo...  I know, I know. I will let my self out. :p

But before i go, you may want to give the fresh install one more go. If that does not work then you may wish to chock it up to the build being unstable for your hardware.

You may also want to boot into a live disk of Ubuntu and mount your drive, just to see if the partitions are actually being recognized by the OS.

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Hehe, I've had a go with Gentoo in the past. It's a little more "do-it-yourself" than I care to be. :p

I checked fstab (nothing amiss), and booting into the recovery mode (installed on the hard disk in question) certainly works, so that's not the problem. Why would it spit out an error like that on a single package? A bad sector on the Hard Disk itself would be the only thing I know of that could cause something like this, and it would explain the failure of the other packages (which seemed to sort themselves out in subsequent reboots) ...

I might try reinstalling it from scratch again and see if that won't fix it. Nothing like (another) fresh format to overwrite bad data, if that's the problem.

DavidM

I guess if I'm gonna break it do it properly right? I'm not called "Betaguy" for nothing. :D

I don't mind logging in, it's comforting to know that I'm the only one who can "get in" and use my machine. And I don't have a preference for session managers, I rather like SDDM when it behaves but I like LightDM as well simply because I can fix it manually if something goes wrong.

I've no experience with Ubuntu Base/Minimal. I've heard it's bare-metal fast and clean though. Might give it a go on a VM sometime.

Should be fine.

I'm glad you didn't take that the wrong way. :) I have been known to do things like this as well, and I've learned more by fixing my mistakes!

Hope you get everything sorted!

• Like 1
DavidM

in theory what BetaguyGZT did should work without any problem, however in other forums i read lots of users having problems with installing and using additional DEs on ubuntu, the blame lays on unity. back in the old gnome2 days i installed kde alongside gnome without any problem. 

I've heard they do some crazy things with Unity to make it work, but never cared for the "global menu" so I didn't use it for long.

I am waiting for 15.10 to give Plasma 5 a good try, on my laptop with Arch it crashes all the time. Man, I got tired of seeing that pop up box.

• Like 1
Ad Man Gamer

Hehe, I've had a go with Gentoo in the past. It's a little more "do-it-yourself" than I care to be. :p

I checked fstab (nothing amiss), and booting into the recovery mode (installed on the hard disk in question) certainly works, so that's not the problem. Why would it spit out an error like that on a single package? A bad sector on the Hard Disk itself would be the only thing I know of that could cause something like this, and it would explain the failure of the other packages (which seemed to sort themselves out in subsequent reboots) ...

I might try reinstalling it from scratch again and see if that won't fix it. Nothing like (another) fresh format to overwrite bad data, if that's the problem.

Unfortunately, My knowledge of Linux is only advanced enough to do some sudo commands that let me install packets and install some programs from source using a make file. You may want to see if Ubuntu/Kubuntu has a way to scan for bad sectors, and also see how it handles SMART warnings. If your disk is failing it should be sending SMART reports to the OS, it's just a question on how Ubuntu/Kubuntu handles them. It may give you a pop up, or it may berry them into a log. its one of them things where google is your friend.

Note: If you have an SSD, SMART is not that useful in my experience. Most HDD's I have had have given a SMART report before they stopped working. But SSD's just kind of go kaput, or it says that they are failing when they are not, because the SMART data gets miss read as the software thinks its a HDD and should behave as such.

Unobscured Vision

Nope, still using HDD. Funny thing is that the partition I installed on was fresh-formatted (I never re-use them), so for it to have errors would be really unexpected. Then again, a fresh-format would expose bad sectors immediately if any were present. Seems like Ext4 would automatically exclude those from being used though.

I have not performed the second clean install yet. The disc image itself is suspect, at this juncture. The "Try Kubuntu" option is not usable in the Live Environment, and that's got me really puzzled. It crashes out & goes back to SDDM like the installed OS did. A search of the issues experienced turned up absolutely nothing useful at all; so either it's simply that my HDD has errors (more likely),  my ISO was corrupted (moderately likely), or nobody is reporting the problem because they know how to fix it where I do not (least likely). Process of elimination.

I'm fairly skilled with Linux in general, and a great hand with Debian/Ubuntu-based Distros, so it's a quandry that I'd like to get to the bottom of.

simonlang

Nope, still using HDD. Funny thing is that the partition I installed on was fresh-formatted (I never re-use them), so for it to have errors would be really unexpected. Then again, a fresh-format would expose bad sectors immediately if any were present. Seems like Ext4 would automatically exclude those from being used though.

I have not performed the second clean install yet. The disc image itself is suspect, at this juncture. The "Try Kubuntu" option is not usable in the Live Environment, and that's got me really puzzled. It crashes out & goes back to SDDM like the installed OS did. A search of the issues experienced turned up absolutely nothing useful at all; so either it's simply that my HDD has errors (more likely),  my ISO was corrupted (moderately likely), or nobody is reporting the problem because they know how to fix it where I do not (least likely). Process of elimination.

I'm fairly skilled with Linux in general, and a great hand with Debian/Ubuntu-based Distros, so it's a quandry that I'd like to get to the bottom of.

you are using a dedicated nvidia gpu is that correct sir? i don't know if it occurs for every gpu or only for the newer ones but i personally had to do the following:

install kubuntu 15.10, it would not login, i had go to tty1 and do sudo apt-get update, upgrade and dist-upgrade and then manually also apt-get install nvidia-352. package manager installed all the needed packages afterwards and one reboot later everything worked fine. 

Unobscured Vision

Yes, a dedicated Nvidia card that needs a 346.x driver or newer. Seems like the open-source driver should work fine though, at least for getting it up and running (like usual).

Unobscured Vision

I've installed 15.04 Kubuntu and all is well. I'm chalking this one up to a bad 15.10 installation image.

I'll upgrade to 15.10 when it hits RC.

simonlang

I've installed 15.04 Kubuntu and all is well. I'm chalking this one up to a bad 15.10 installation image.

I'll upgrade to 15.10 when it hits RC.

good choice, sir. let us hear by then how it's going. 

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Will do. 15.04 Kubuntu has been well-behaved so far, as expected.

Boo Berry

I did a clean install of Ubuntu 15.10 (final beta) and it's working fine here, minus the random XHCI device descriptor error issues that has plagued the kernel since 3.18.

ichi

FWIW I've gone from 14.04 to 15.10 without issues, although I took the gubuntu route (gnome staging PPA included) before upgrading to 15.04. Not sure if that has anything to do with not having any problems or if it's just luck :p