What's going on with Black Ops 3 on Xbox One?

vcfan

Until a few days ago, it was possible to digitally pre-order Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 for Xbox One through Xbox Live or Amazon. That’s no longer the case, though nobody can explain why. Seriously, I asked Activision and Microsoft what’s going on, but their statements don’t make any sense.

Here’s what Microsoft first told me:

“We are actively engaged with Activision to return ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops III’ to the Xbox Store as soon as possible. In the meantime, fans can pre-order ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops III’ for Xbox One or Xbox 360 from any of a host of retail partners here.”

That is technically a statement, but it doesn’t actually say anything. I pressed, wondering if Activision asked Microsoft to remove the pre-order, and got this:

“Yes, the ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops III’ pre-order offers have been temporarily removed from the Xbox Store, however we are actively engaged with Activision to return it as soon as possible.”

That’s not what I asked, Microsoft!

When I decided to look into this, my hunch was a glitch, an accident leading up the launch. Now, I’m not so sure. It seems fishy, right? A little weird?

I want to say Activision’s statement is going to clear everything up, but nope:

“Activision did not remove the digital version of Call of Duty: Black Ops III from the Xbox Games Store. Black Ops III is ready for launch on November 6th and is the most anticipated game of the year. Black Ops III is available for pre-order or pre-purchase through our other retail partners worldwide.”

If Activision didn’t remove it, does that mean Microsoft did? I took Activision’s statement back to Microsoft, hoping it’d open the door to any clarification, but:

“We do not comment on the specific terms of our arrangements with any of our publishing partners, however we are actively engaged with Activision to return ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops III’ to the Xbox Store. In the meantime, fans can pre-order ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops III’ for Xbox One or Xbox 360 from any of a host of retail partners here.”

Yep, still nothing. Every single one of these statements says absolutely nothing.

Here’s what’s weird: a $100 “digital deluxe” version can still be purchased for Xbox One at GameStop. But neither the $60 standard version is available as a downloadable purchase at GameStop for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Huh.

http://kotaku.com/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-call-of-duty-on-xbox-one-1735306030

rCqCyws.png

Edited by vcfan
.Ruby

I think MS wants to concentrate on promoting Halo 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Asher Madan
      You can earn these Destiny 2: Trials of Osiris rewards from October 30 to November 3
      by Asher Madan

Every week, Destiny 2 hosts a Trials of Osiris event where teams of three compete for access to The Lighthouse. The Lighthouse promises Pinnacle rewards that boost you closer to the current Power Level cap.

The player vs. player competition also grants other items if you get three, five, or seven wins. However, you'll have to get seven wins in a row, without a loss, if you want to grab the Pinnacle gear from The Lighthouse. You can take a look at the Trials of Osiris rewards from October 30 to November 3 below.

Three wins: Tomorrow's Answer legendary rocket launcher Five wins: Chest of the Exile legendary armor Seven wins: Eye of Sol legendary sniper rifle Flawless: Hands of the Exile legendary armor Trials of Osiris starts at 1 PM EDT on Friday and lasts until 1 PM EDT on Tuesday. You can use the Passage of Mercy from Saint-14 because it forgives one loss if you're aiming for Flawless. If you manage to get seven wins in a row, you'll have to manually select The Lighthouse location displayed in the Crucible menu to obtain the Pinnacle reward. This involves jumping across a few platforms and opening the chest where Saint-14 and Osiris are standing.

• By Asher Madan
      These are the best Xbox One games launching next week
      by Asher Madan

Every week, a number of games launch on Xbox One, and deciding which ones to purchase can be a difficult decision. We've compiled a list of some of the highly anticipated titles that are launching between November 2 and 6. The highlight of the next week, of course, is Dirt 5.

Dirt 5
      Dirt 5 launches on November 6, starting at $59.99. The game runs at 4K resolution on Xbox One X and features Xbox Series X|S optimizations. You can purchase Dirt 5 on the Microsoft Store. The Dirt 5: Amplified Edition hits the console on November 3.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered
      Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered is slated to launch on November 6, priced at $39.99. The game runs at 4K resolution on Xbox One X. You can purchase Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered on the Microsoft Store.

Grey Skies: A War of the Worlds Story
      Grey Skies: A War of the Worlds Story is expected to launch on November 5, priced at $14.99. The game runs at 4K resolution on Xbox One X. You can purchase Grey Skies: A War of the Worlds Story from the Microsoft Store.

Which of these games are you interested in? Let us know in the comments.

• By Rich Woods
      Xbox Games with Gold for November includes Full Spectrum Warrior and more
      by Rich Woods

Microsoft revealed today next month's round of four games for Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. This time around, there are the usual two Xbox One games, but the other two are split between one Xbox 360 game and one game for the original Xbox. Obviously, they can all be played on the company's current generation of consoles, and they'll actually be available to play on the next generation of consoles (Xbox Series X|S) as well, being that those consoles can play anything that's playable on the Xbox One family.

Here are the free Games with Gold titles announced today and their arrival dates:

Aragami: Shadow Edition (Xbox One, November 1 - 30)

Swimsanity! (November 16 - December 15)

Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox, November 1 - 15)

LEGO Indiana Jones (Xbox 360, November 16 - 30)

As usual, Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers need to claim their games between the designated dates, and if they cancel their subscription, they'll only be able to keep the Xbox and Xbox 360 games.

Note that you can still claim most of last month's Games with Gold. There are a couple of days left to grab Slayaway Camp: Butcher's Cut (Xbox One) and Costume Quest (Xbox 360), and you've got until November 15 to claim Maid of Sker (Xbox One).

• By LoneWolfSL
      Halo Infinite studio head Chris Lee steps down
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Changes are happening inside Halo developer 343 Industries, as a new report reveals that Halo Infinite studio head Chris Lee has been taken off the massive project. Lee has lead the Halo series since 2016, and although he is off Infinite, he will remain a Microsoft employee according to an official statement by Microsoft.

"I have stepped back from Infinite and I am looking at future opportunities," Chris Lee had said to Bloomberg. "I believe in the team and am confident they will deliver a great game and now is a good time for me to step away."

Originally set to be the defining launch title of the next-gen Xbox consoles, Halo Infinite suffered a delay that pushed it back to 2021. According to the Bloomberg report, Lee's role was sidelined following the poor reception to the Halo Infinite gameplay showcase. Series veterans Joseph Staten and Pierre Hintze stepped in to help with the campaign and multiplayer, respectively, back in August.

This is not the first time Halo Infinite has lost a top executive, with creative director Tim Longo departing the project in 2019.

Halo Infinite is currently slated to land sometime in 2021 across the Xbox One family of consoles, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.

Source: Bloomberg

• By LoneWolfSL
      Cyberpunk 2077 hit with another delay, now releasing on December 10
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

With less than a month to go before CD Projekt RED's latest RPG Cyberpunk 2077 was set to launch, the studio has announced another delay to the game. It's not a drastic one this time, as this delay pushes the launch back by only 21 days. Instead of November 19, Cyberpunk 2077 will now launch on December 10 across all platforms.

While apologizing for this latest delay, CD Projekt RED said that preparing essentially nine versions of the game for a simultaneous launch - "Xbox One/X, compatibility on Xbox Series S|X, PS4/Pro, compatibility on PS5, PC, Stadia" - while working from home has been challenging.

"Since Cyberpunk 2077 evolved towards almost being a next-gen title somewhere along the way, we need to make sure everything works well and every version runs smoothly," said the developer, explaining the situation. "We're aware it might seem unrealistic when someone says that 21 days can make a difference in such a massive and complex game, but they really do."

The studio added that while it announced Cyberpunk 2077 had 'gone gold', with all game content being ready for shipping, it had undercalculated the time it needed to make other improvements using a day 0 update.

If the latest plans hold, Cyberpunk 2077 will be releasing on December 10, 2020. An enhanced next-gen version of the game is also in development, which will be landing sometime later for Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 with free upgrades to current-gen owners.