Using ProFTPD or any other FTP server in Linux

:blink:

Dude where did I say anything about not using proftpd? I just showed you how fast it could be brought online.. How is that in any way saying you shouldn't use it?

One thing I can say about proftpd - is the webmin config module is a standard module of webmin.. with vsftpd you have to install another module if you want to use webmin.. Which I would HIGHLY to anyone looking to admin any linux machine..

From ease of use with webmin - proftpd would seem to be a better choice. I just like vsftpd more is all - I really have nothing against proftpd at all..

as to why your not seeing directories or files? Are they .files, what account did you use to ftp with - does anonymous have permission to view these dir and files?

So I install proftpd so I can help you - and now you go back to the default FC4 ftp server "vsftpd" :rofl: - why did you ever install proftd in the first place??

If you don't figure out your file listing issue - just let me know.. And I would HIGHLY suggest you install webmin, and grab the vsftpd module!!

I installed proftpd because that was what I used before.

However, it appears that a new problem has surfaced. I restarted the computer and when I try to access the FTP via the local address, I get the following error in the console and in GFtp:

500 OOPS: failed to open xferlog log file:/var/log/xferlog

This has been puzzling me since it worked locally before restarting. It even resulted in a couple of errors at bootup concerning RPC and HAL (root UID is not reading for some stupid reason). Would there happen to be a workaround for this?