Car Troubles!

Hey Neowinians!

I'm hoping a few of you are mechanics! Here's my problem..

I have a 1979 Ford F-150 v8 400 cubic inch engine. I don't know what liter.. My be a 3.0 or 3.5L.

It's having some problems..
1. Brakes are super hard to press, takes a lot of pressure to press the brakes down.
2. The power steering is bad, we've replaced the pump, we've bled the lines, and re-did it all.

Still acts as if the power steering isn't working.

My brothers moving 300+ miles and I'd like to have his truck fixed up better before he moves in 2 weeks.

Hey Neowinians!

I'm hoping a few of you are mechanics! Here's my problem..

I have a 1979 Ford F-150 v8 400 cubic inch engine. I don't know what liter.. My be a 3.0 or 3.5L.

It's having some problems..
1. Brakes are super hard to press, takes a lot of pressure to press the brakes down.
2. The power steering is bad, we've replaced the pump, we've bled the lines, and re-did it all.

Still acts as if the power steering isn't working.

My brothers moving 300+ miles and I'd like to have his truck fixed up better before he moves in 2 weeks.

Perhaps a bad brake power booster or vacuum leak.

Moved to the Neobahn

Hopefully you will find more people who can help here. :) what Raze said is a good start. For the brakes, if the hoses have been replaced, it may be worth double-checking to make sure it's the right type of hose. Sometimes you'll get the right size, but it will be the wrong type (like meant for a fuel line rather than the pressure of a vacuum-assisted brake system) and it will be sucked closed when the brakes are applied. I learned this the hard fun way...

I would also say a vacuum leak. 

fwiw - 302=5.0l, 351=5.7l, 400=6.6l  but all of that is irrelevant to your issues.  It wouldn't matter if you had a 4cyl or a 10cyl, the issue is the same and the resolution is the same.  more than likely (highly likely being that it is both of those systems) is that it is a vacuum leak.  Perhaps the brake booster is also the culprit.

I would start with a chiltons or haynes manual and go from there or take it to a mechanic if time is not on your side.

• 5 months later...

Check the Belts, if it's not pressurising from the master cylinder and the steering pump is inop, you may have a faulty belt

(One possibility, not necessarily THE possibility)