Steam and Arch Linux

Did anyone of you guys manage to get it running on Arch or any arch based distro? I have tried to get it working in Manjaro (KDE) and Antergos (Gnome and KDE). It is offered in the sources and gets installed but won't run.

This is honestly more dependent on your specific setup. What I can say is that running Manjaro KDE Plasma updated to 20151019 on VMware. Then clicking on games under applications and then clicking on Steam(System Libraries) will run the Steam updater and essentially install the latest version of Steam. Now if you are running different drivers I have no Idea if it works. What I do know is that Linux regularly will break with kernel and graphics driver updates so your mileage will vary.

I had it running fine on arch last year. Using steam was unstable because it's a mess with pulseaudio and when I tried monaco it would run slowly and stutter then x11 would just crash, if I ran the game manually without steam it ran fine without issue.

Working fine here. You may need to delete a couple of Steam's local distribution libraries. They're often out of date and can conflict with the base system.

find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete

As per the Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Steam_runtime_issues

If that doesn't work, run 'steam' on the terminal and post the output here. Setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose can sometimes help provide more information.

Working fine here. You may need to delete a couple of Steam's local distribution libraries. They're often out of date and can conflict with the base system.

find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete

As per the Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Steam_runtime_issues

If that doesn't work, run 'steam' on the terminal and post the output here. Setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose can sometimes help provide more information.

the deletation of libs made the setup appear again, it was downloading steam once more but after this i only get the following output:

1. [usaf@AMD ~]$ steam
  2. /home/usaf/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 161: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
  3. /home/usaf/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 161: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
  4. Running Steam on antergos  64-bit
  5. /home/usaf/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 161: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
  6. STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
  7. Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1444853545)
  8. libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
  9. libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

edit: after repeating the step above, steam runs fine.
Edited by Simon Lang 9047

the deletation of libs made the setup appear again, it was downloading steam once more but after this i only get the following output:

edit: after repeating the step above, steam runs fine.

Glad to hear it. From my experience, the two main causes of Steam not running are missing lib32 versions of graphic drivers (easily solved by installing via pacman/yaourt), or a conflict between the base system and the local distribution files steam downloads.

An alternative to removing Steam's files is to bypass its runtime entirely and use the base system:

STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

Obviously, one has to install any missing libraries manually, but it has the advantage of reducing resource usage.

when i chose steam from octopi it automatically asks for some lib32 to install additionally and i did.

Simon, the way i run steam here is from a script:

#!/bin/bash

clear

LD_PRELOAD="/lib/libstdc++.so.6" steam

then i just start steam from a terminal with "sh ~/scripts/steam.sh" works a treat here :)

edit; I presume you could create a launcher from the desktop with the LD_PRELOAD line as the run command.