• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 aero taskbar?

Dot Matrix    7,417

No. This looks to be a way early build of Windows 10.

Ian W    2,331

That is from a pre-release build of Windows 10. The appearance of the taskbar was not really changed until later.

• Like 1

Royalty    175

No. This looks to be a way early build of Windows 10.

That is from a pre-release build of Windows 10. The appearance of the taskbar was not really changed until later.

Oh. Is there anyway to get it back?

Dot Matrix    7,417

I don't believe there is a way to skin the taskbar anymore, no. If you ask me, the way it is now looks nicer, and has a cleaner look to it.

Taskbar.thumb.png.513b99eaf781575f3b0847

Edited by Dot Matrix
  • Like 3

+warwagon    12,824

That's Beautiful!

• Like 2

Ian W    2,331

One thing I miss is the color hot-track.
Windows_7_taskbar_color_hot-track.thumb.

• Like 4

Jared-    575

Please, Aero looks completely outdated these days.

Good Riddance. 

• Like 6

Raa    1,534

Yes because flat colors look all that much better. YAY Windows 3.1 :D

Give me Aero any day, it's miles ahead when it comes to looking good.

• Like 10

DevTech    1,517

Good Riddance. 

From an engineering and user freedom standpoint, I think the idea of supporting user choice and customability in how their own computer feels to them has always been an important feature of Windows.

There should be a simple control panel so the user can pick "Ugly Aero" or "Ugly Flat" or "Enterprise Windows 2000" or "Mac Zombie" or "Gnarly Gnome" etc

We run the risk of promoting the "only one true choice Apple knows what is good for you" hand-cuff system if we don't respect choice.

• Like 8

Dot Matrix    7,417

From an engineering and user freedom standpoint, I think the idea of supporting user choice and customability in how their own computer feels to them has always been an important feature of Windows.

There should be a simple control panel so the user can pick "Ugly Aero" or "Ugly Flat" or "Enterprise Windows 2000" or "Mac Zombie" or "Gnarly Gnome" etc

We run the risk of promoting the "only one true choice Apple knows what is good for you" hand-cuff system if we don't respect choice.

Aero isn't returning to the OS since the new universal apps are not built for it. The new interface is designed to focus on the app and the content rather than the UI.

• Like 1

Ian W    2,331

Aero isn't returning to the OS since the new universal apps are not built for it. The new interface is designed to focus on the app and the content rather than the UI.

I do not think this is fair. Windows Aero was also designed to help a user focus on content:

"Aero was designed to help people focus less on the window chrome itself, and more on the content within the window. It draws the eye away from the title bar and window frames, and towards what is valuable and what an app is about."

• Like 7

DevTech    1,517

You are wrong to a certain extent. Some of the code has been restored already. The full extent of what they will return is still unknown.

Microsoft has returned some of the "glass" code that Sinofsky ripped out of Windows 8 and AFAIK it is considering restoring more of it over time so that users can customize their own computer. This will have no effect on the default appearance, but will permit users more options to customize.

The traditional way to customize appearance in Windows has been to install a custom UX Style and that ability is unchanged although the customizations available depend on the underlying O/S and are stll limited compared to Windows 7

Dot Matrix    7,417

I do not think this is fair. Windows Aero was also designed to help a user focus on content:

"Aero was designed to help people focus less on the window chrome itself, and more on the content within the window. It draws the eye away from the title bar and window frames, and towards what is valuable and what an app is about."

You are wrong to a certain extent. Some of the code has been restored already. The full extent of what they will return is still unknown.

Microsoft has returned some of the "glass" code that Sinofsky ripped out of Windows 8 and AFAIK it is considering restoring more of it over time so that users can customize their own computer. This will have no effect on the default appearance, but will permit users more options to customize.

The traditional way to customize appearance in Windows has been to install a custom UX Style and that ability is unchanged although the customizations available depend on the underlying O/S and are stll limited compared to Windows 7

Right, but when you look at apps, they have little to no chrome anymore. There's the titlebar, and that's it. The old UX is being phased out in favor of a universal codebase.

Jim K    12,799

Heck, at the rate at which universal apps are maturing ... Microsoft will abandon the idea and jump to something else.  Universal Apps ... the Universal way of saying "we'll get there someday ... maybe".  Universal apps are about as useful as having a glass of ice water in Antarctica.

...mind you the comments were directed towards the desktop environment.

• Like 1

Ian W    2,331

Right, but when you look at apps, they have little to no chrome anymore. There's the titlebar, and that's it. The old UX is being phased out in favor of a universal codebase.

Er, the title bar was listed among elements that Windows Aero is designed to draw the eyes away from.

Dot Matrix    7,417

Heck, at the rate at which universal apps are maturing ... Microsoft will abandon the idea and jump to something else.  Universal Apps ... the Universal way of saying "we'll get there someday ... maybe".  Universal apps are about as useful as having a glass of ice water in Antarctica.

...mind you the comments were directed towards the desktop environment.

I disagree. Universal apps are very beneficial on desktops. I use quite a few on my systems. Microsoft is on the right path here, and you'll see more of these in the next few years.

• Like 2

bluesman86    360

One thing I miss is the color hot-track.
Windows_7_taskbar_color_hot-track.thumb.

That is indeed very cool looking. 

• Like 1

Ian W    2,331

That is indeed very cool looking. 

Unfortunately it is not in Windows 10 anymore.

bluesman86    360

And look, you guys just have to deal with the fact that Aero is over. Flat design is the thing now, and you will get used to it eventually. No point in staying stuck in the past, and why care so much anyway? It's not like the new style gets in the way of your work or anything.  

Many people hated the ###### out of Aero when it first came out, too. Think about that.

• Like 2

Jim K    12,799

I disagree. Universal apps are very beneficial on desktops. I use quite a few on my systems. Microsoft is on the right path here, and you'll see more of these in the next few years.

Examples?  I haven't used one Universal App for which there isn't a superior alternative.

And look, you guys just have to deal with the fact that Aero is over. Flat design is the thing now, and you will get used to it eventually. No point in staying stuck in the past, and why care so much anyway? It's not like the new style gets in the way of your work or anything.  

Many people hated the ###### out of Aero when it first came out, too. Think about that.

Majority of the hate was because people's computers couldn't run it effectively...not necessarily because of the look.

Dot Matrix    7,417

Examples?  I haven't used one Universal App for which there isn't a superior alternative.

Mail, Calendar, Tweetium, Pictures, VLC, Wunderlist, Flipbook, Readit, Fitbit, and Netflix.

Soon to be Facebook, and Instagram.

• Like 2

Anibal P    2,055

Please let Aero die, it was fine for it's time, but that was 5+ years ago and MS needed to convince the clueless to move away form XP so they needed to have something "colorful"but not the hideous fisher price My First OS look XP came with 

• Like 3

Dot Matrix    7,417

Er, the title bar was listed among elements that Windows Aero is designed to draw the eyes away from.

Unfortunately, it seems to have had the opposite effect, with people strangely thinking they unable to work without it.  

• Like 1

Jim K    12,799

Mail, Calendar, Tweetium, Pictures, VLC, Wunderlist, Flipbook, Readit, Fitbit, and Netflix.

Soon to be Facebook, and Instagram.

Ahh ok.  So many apps that Chrome (IE or Firefox), Office or MPC can do...and do better.

• Like 1