• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 aero taskbar?

Dot Matrix    7,417

Ahh ok.  So many apps that Chrome (IE or Firefox), Office or MPC can do...and do better.

Chrome can't run Office (Sorry forgot to add that to the list)

Online Twitter sucks

Who seriously runs Netflix through the browser?

You play local music through the browser too? No.

Local photos in the browser, again, really?

Wunderlist, and Flipboard either have no online equivalent, or work better in app form.

Instagram has no online use since you cannot upload via the webpage, and just generally sucks at life.

Edited by Dot Matrix

DevTech    1,517

And look, you guys just have to deal with the fact that Aero is over. Flat design is the thing now, and you will get used to it eventually. No point in staying stuck in the past, and why care so much anyway? It's not like the new style gets in the way of your work or anything.  

Many people hated the ###### out of Aero when it first came out, too. Think about that.

It is so simple really.

Users should have the choice to turn on Aero if the user wants it.

I just don't understand the very large number of people that want to be "UI Police"

Who cares what your UI preference is and you should not care what someone eles's is.

My computer. Just that simple. If I want Aero for a week or two and then something else and then back to Aero it should be nobodys business to waste neurons on what I might want to see...

Dot Matrix    7,417

It is so simple really.

I just don't understand the very large number of people that want to be "UI Police"

Who cares what your UI preference is and you should not care what someone eles's is.

My computer. Just that simple. If I want Aero for a week or two and then something else and then back to Aero it should be nobodys business to waste neurons on what I might want to see...

Transparency is enabled on Start, Taskbar, and the Action Center, should you want it. The rest of the UI just isn't built for it. The legacy shell is being replaced with a new universal codebase that isn't built with window chrome in the traditional sense.

Edited by Dot Matrix
  • Like 1

DevTech    1,517

Aero isn't returning to the OS since the new universal apps are not built for it. The new interface is designed to focus on the app and the content rather than the UI.

It is a fact that whatever you want to name it, Aero code IS returning to the OS.

There is no technical reason that various Glass effects couldn't be exposed as a XAML style etc to the WIndows Runtime if Microsoft wanted to add it to the API.

Sinofsky's attempt to be a "Big Brother" Apple wannabe failed miserably and his take on the "App UI" will fade over time as Microsoft listens to customer feedback like they should have from the start.

The idea is choice. Apple gives NO choice. Microsoft has been an advocate of choice except for the "Sinofsky Experiment" and over time its hard to predict how things will evolve.

The internals of DWM and Windows Composition are still be worked on and updating very slowly since this is critical code that needs to be performant on a huge range of devices. Within practical technical restrictions there is an obvious intent to deliver over time as much customization as they can.

Dot Matrix    7,417

It is a fact that whatever you want to name it, Aero code IS returning to the OS.

There is no technical reason that various Glass effects couldn't be exposed as a XAML style etc to the WIndows Runtime if Microsoft wanted to add it to the API.

Sinofsky's attempt to be a "Big Brother" Apple wannabe failed miserably and his take on the "App UI" will fade over time as Microsoft listens to customer feedback like they should have from the start.

The idea is choice. Apple gives NO choice. Microsoft has been an advocate of choice except for the "Sinofsky Experiment" and over time its hard to predict how things will evolve.

The internals of DWM and Windows Composition are still be worked on and updating very slowly since this is critical code that needs to be performant on a huge range of devices. Within practical technical restrictions there is an obvious intent to deliver over time as much customization as they can.

Where's the source for this? Microsoft brought transparency back during the Insider Previews before RTM. None of that was applied to the apps themselves. How could it? Universal apps are not designed for it (as evidenced below), and universal apps are not going to be going away.

Screenshot_(55).thumb.png.9b8a5cbaa7555f

Heck Microsoft even reduced the glass effect in Windows 7. None of the apps took advantage of it save for Explorer, and IE. Most developers moved away from using the glass in their apps as well.

DevTech    1,517

Transparency is enabled on Start, Taskbar, and the Action Center, should you want it. The rest of the UI just isn't built for it. The legacy shell is being replaced with a new universal codebase that isn't built with window chrome in the traditional sense.

You are  100% wrong in terms of the Windows code. Check out the Microsoft Windows Composition project on Github. They are turning this stuff on bit by bit.

You can easily be 100% right in terms of how they surface this tech and the kind of programming guidance they decide to put out.

Personally I don't care whatever they paick as the "default" look of Windows as long as "We The People" can change it as we want...

Dot Matrix    7,417

You are  100% wrong in terms of the Windows code. Check out the Microsoft Windows Composition project on Github. They are turning this stuff on bit by bit.

You can easily be 100% right in terms of how they surface this tech and the kind of programming guidance they decide to put out.

Personally I don't care whatever they paick as the "default" look of Windows as long as "We The People" can change it as we want...

Again, change what? There is nothing, nothing, in the Windows 10 apps that can even use a glass UI. And the elements in Windows 10 that can, have transparency enabled already.

DevTech    1,517

Where's the source for this? Microsoft brought transparency back during the Insider Previews before RTM. None of that was applied to the apps themselves. How could it? Universal apps are not designed for it (as evidenced below), and universal apps are not going to be going away.

I hope Apps will gradually become succesful. MS is still missing a lot of stuff to make it happen. And they still don't understand how much damage the Silverlight Fiasco is still doing to them. (they need to issue a giant apology and a giant clear enterprise guidance on all that which they are still too proud to do)

But there is no tech reason an App background for example couldn't be Glass Blur even if the aesectics annoyed you.

DevTech    1,517

For people that aren't card carrying members of "The UI Police" you can try different Windows 10 UX Styles. One way to find some nice ones is to search DeviantArt.com

http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/customization/skins/?order=5&q=windows+10

Here are a few examples at random so you can see in fact how much transformation is possible:

http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/Aero-White-Taskbar-Theme-for-Windows-10-rtm-562014332

http://luanteles.deviantart.com/art/Longhorn-Office-2010-Edition-For-Windows-8-8-1-10-565879188

http://neiio.deviantart.com/art/Metro-X-Windows-10-Edition-566828030

http://neiio.deviantart.com/art/nome-Windows-10-edition-565821845

Even more Desktop Customization is possible by using Rainmeter:

http://www.rainmeter.net/beta-3-3

Just say NO to the UI Police!

• Like 1

Jim K    12,822

Chrome can't run Office (Sorry forgot to add that to the list)

Online Twitter sucks

Who seriously runs Netflix through the browser?

You play local music through the browser too? No.

Local photos in the browser, again, really?

Wunderlist, and Flipboard either have no online equivalent, or work better in app form.

Instagram has no online use since you cannot upload via the webpage, and just generally sucks at life.

Apologies.  Guess I should have been more clear (though I really didn't think I had to be):  Office as in Microsoft Office.  Local music/video through MPC (or wmplayer or w32 VLC or Kodi).  Never said anything about local photos through the browser :/. I'll leave the rest alone since they are your personal preference....though I disagree with them (aside from Instagram which I do not use outside the phone).

• Like 1

HawkMan    5,232

Ahh ok.  So many apps that Chrome (IE or Firefox), Office or MPC can do...and do better.

Well at the very least chrome can't actually do netfllix better since unlike the app it doesn't do full HD and super HD. 

bluesman86    360

Unfortunately it is not in Windows 10 anymore.

Yeah, oh well. I like the little bar on the bottom. It's slick and fits the flat Windows 10 UI better.

Majority of the hate was because people's computers couldn't run it effectively...not necessarily because of the look.

People hated the look at first, and they used to say that the glass effect slowed down their computer.

People love to hate new things because they're new. Scientific fact.

I use Wunderlist, the weather, Netflix, and Calendar all the time. It's nice to jump right into it instead of going through the browser. Native apps look better and function smoother than their web-versions.

It is so simple really.

Please. It has nothing to do with the "UI police". This whole discussion is so immature. New major Windows version=new interface style. It's been that way for decades, so you might as well get the ###### over it. If you hate it so much, stick with 7, simple as that. Why should MS need to cater to a handful of children who can't handle a little change and move on? A lot of people like the new interface, and most will have a hard time even noticing the difference. Anyone who cares this much about the way it looks has too much time on their hands, frankly. And it's not like they made the entire interface bright purple. There really isn't that much to whine about.

Windows 10 is easily MS's greatest OS ever, and the flat, understated look fits 2015 very well. It's a very slick, modern-looking OS. Aero is beautiful and I will always like it, but it's not 2006 anymore. 

DevTech    1,517

Please. It has nothing to do with the "UI police". This whole discussion is so immature. New major Windows version=new interface style. It's been that way for decades, so you might as well get the ###### over it. If you hate it so much, stick with 7, simple as that. Why should MS need to cater to a handful of children who can't handle a little change and move on? A lot of people like the new interface, and most will have a hard time even noticing the difference. Anyone who cares this much about the way it looks has too much time on their hands, frankly. And it's not like they made the entire interface bright purple. There really isn't that much to whine about.

Windows 10 is easily MS's greatest OS ever, and the flat, understated look fits 2015 very well. It's a very slick, modern-looking OS. Aero is beautiful and I will always like it, but it's not 2006 anymore. 

It should be whatever year you want it to be on your own personal computer. Hmmm funny how it's called a PC...

You sound like you own Apple products and want some sort of design duality where each company gets their own special corps of Zombies to appreciate Sir Jonathan Ive and whoever you think should get a Knighthood at Microsoft for similar acts of Godhood.

You are welcome to collect stamps, keep a fish tank, re-build old motorcycles in your garage and a thousand other things that humans find interesting and other humans don't. So don't strain your neurons too much worrying about people who like to hack their PCs

Windows is large enough to encompass anything, a nice wide expanse of freedom too scary for the UI Police. I've walked into companies where I.T. departments religously take every new version of Windows and give them the "Windows 2000 Grey Box" look and wouldn't even understand your concerns around "slick and modern" and I'm sure there are even Unicorns somewhere worshiping Sinofsky.

Everyone thinks their sense of "design" is the "correct" view but please respect the traditions of Windows customization, respect for other viewpoints or we run the risk of being told what to think like Apple Zombies...

You can be a Zombie if you want, but to expect social conformity around a user interface so you can feel better seems like you can't handle the fact that MS is actually catering to their culturally diverse user population (that you call children because they don't agree with you) by gradually restoring the Windows 7 code that Sinofsky ripped out. Microsoft is doing the right thing by promoting a standard initial "Window Dressing" and then listening to their user base to allow all the diversity that made Windows strong and robust. Guess they won't get that Knighthood after all, just happy customers.

Dot Matrix    7,417

It should be whatever year you want it to be on your own personal computer. Hmmm funny how it's called a PC...

You sound like you own Apple products and want some sort of design duality where each company gets their own special corps of Zombies to appreciate Sir Jonathan Ive and whoever you think should get a Knighthood at Microsoft for similar acts of Godhood.

You are welcome to collect stamps, keep a fish tank, re-build old motorcycles in your garage and a thousand other things that humans find interesting and other humans don't. So don't strain your neurons too much worrying about people who like to hack their PCs

Windows is large enough to encompass anything, a nice wide expanse of freedom too scary for the UI Police. I've walked into companies where I.T. departments religously take every new version of Windows and give them the "Windows 2000 Grey Box" look and wouldn't even understand your concerns around "slick and modern" and I'm sure there are even Unicorns somewhere worshiping Sinofsky.

Everyone thinks their sense of "design" is the "correct" view but please respect the traditions of Windows customization, respect for other viewpoints or we run the risk of being told what to think like Apple Zombies...

You can be a Zombie if you want, but to expect social conformity around a user interface so you can feel better seems like you can't handle the fact that MS is actually catering to their culturally diverse user population (that you call children because they don't agree with you) by gradually restoring the Windows 7 code that Sinofsky ripped out. Microsoft is doing the right thing by promoting a standard initial "Window Dressing" and then listening to their user base to allow all the diversity that made Windows strong and robust. Guess they won't get that Knighthood after all, just happy customers.

They're not restoring any Windows 7 code. Nothing was restored from what was removed in Windows 8. DWM was never removed. What's left is in fact being removed, and replaced.

Edited by Dot Matrix

ZombieFly    221

Sinofsky

What an absolute knob :D I wonder what the staff at microsoft think of him now... Has he ever admitted that he orchestrated one of the biggest fails of OS history? does he regret it? ...i bet he still think's he was right...

Dot Matrix    7,417

Sinofsky

What an absolute knob :D I wonder what the staff at microsoft think of him now... Has he ever admitted that he orchestrated one of the biggest fails of OS history? does he regret it? ...i bet he still think's he was right...

Sinofsky was also responsible for Windows 7, Office 2010, etc... Microsoft wouldn't be where they are today without Windows 8 or Surface.

• Like 3

Dot Matrix    7,417

They're not restoring any Windows 7 code. Nothing was restored from what was removed in Windows 8. DWM was never removed. What's left is in fact being removed, and replaced.

To clarify:

They're not restoring any Windows 7 code. Nothing was restored from what was removed in Windows 8. DWM was never removed, just the glass theme was replaced with a modern theme. 

Quite the opposite is happening with Windows 10. Various different Windows Vista/7 parts are being removed in favor of modern elements - Volume slider, popup calander, Control Panel, etc are all being replaced with new, fresh elements in Windows 10, and legacy programs are being replaced with new, modern universal apps.

• Like 1

ZombieFly    221

Sinofsky was also responsible for Windows 7, Office 2010, etc... Microsoft wouldn't be where they are today without Windows 8 or Surface.

really? wonder what went so wrong with his thought processes?

+Fahim S.    1,085

Sinofsky was also responsible for Windows 7

Often forgotten... and time will also prove how forward thinking he was with Windows 8.

• Like 2

Active.    1,696

Flat design is the thing now, and you will get used to it eventually.  

Things change. That's the nature of software. Apple for one is already backtracking from Yosemite's completely flat buttons. As you can see, they're starting to have a slight bevel effect again. The Start Menu and various other backdrops in Windows 10 have already brought back (a version of) Aero's tinted glass that has become ubiquitous in iOS and OS X.

window.png

Co-ords    212

Often forgotten... and time will also prove how forward thinking he was with Windows 8.

Forward thinking & Microsoft don't belong in the same sentence sorry.

Dot Matrix    7,417

Why not? There have been several technologies to come from Redmond the past few years that have been extremely forward thinking - and now being copied by many.

HawkMan    5,232

Don't troll. it's against the rules. and it doesn't do you any favors in how you are preceived. 

Co-ords    212

I just don't like Microsoft at all. I am very cynical when it comes to Microsoft. The amounts of money Microsoft asks for their software is simply ridiculous. I completely understand them making Win10 free... they get the money from corporations who are locked into their OS. Inovation happens everywhere, all Microsoft and many other companies do is assimilate other software into their own. I just wonder if I had have had the same reaction if I had said the same thing about Apple or Linux...

MikeChipshop    3,458

Wunderlist, 

I didn't even realise there was a Windows store Wunderlist available, i was still using the desktop version which always had a pseudo OSX look about it. I have to say i just grabbed the Store version and it's miles better, especially with Cortana integration. Thanks for that! 

• Like 2