VLC Stream Capture Slowly Loses Audio/Video Sync

Gerowen

So I'm running Debian Linux and ordered myself one of those EasyCap USB capture card thingies.  The capture card works fine.  I've been using VLC to both view (old school game consoles, Gamecube, PS2, etc.) and record video streams.  Part of the reason I bought it was to try and digitize some of my kids' old VHS Disney movies.  When doing this, I've noticed that in the resulting video file the audio/video slowly fall out of sync with one another.  It's not a set amount so I can't just split the audio track and then shift it to the left or right a given amount.  It starts out perfectly in sync, and then as the movie progresses the audio/video fall further and further apart so that by the end of the movie the audio/video are 1-2 seconds out of sync.  I've tried closing all additional programs and running ONLY VLC to make sure nothing else is eating up CPU time since it's a live stream and not a file, but the issue still persists.

I'm about to go to bed and start another one rendering, this time I'm gonna knock the 300ms cache down to 0 and set the VLC process to a higher priority and see if that helps.  Any suggestions?  I don't mind using other software to do it, VLC was just something I already had installed that seems to work pretty well for the most part.  Is there some setting in VLC I'm missing that would fix this issue?

Gerowen

Edit: Note that I've also split the audio off into my "microphone" input on my laptop to try and make sure it wasn't some sort of a bandwidth issue with the capture card, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue because I've selected the "Display locally" option, and the video I see displayed in the VLC player stays in sync with no issues the entire time; only the version committed to the output file is out of sync.

Unobscured Vision

I've had this issue as well, but not using a Capture Device like you're doing. I'm keen to know the reason for that also.

What I did to work around this is simply .iso the DVD in question (legal since you're making ONE copy for archival purposes). You can then mount that .iso and watch. Streaming seems to be a problem with VLC, thus the reason I personally went the other route.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      AirParrot 3.1.3
      by Razvan Serea

AirParrot allows you to wirelessly beam your screen or media files to a variety of media receivers. Easily share your screen, videos, audio, presentations and so much more. AirParrot is designed to send content to a number of media receivers, even simultaneously. Broadcast to multiple devices like Apple TV and Chromecast, or share audio around the house to AirPlay-enabled speakers. Use AirParrot in combination with Reflector to create a seamless mirroring experience to any computer or device. Never worry about compatibility issues again; share from any device, to any device!

Share wirelessly with everyone in the room without the need for cables and adapters. AirParrot gives anyone the ability to share and engage the classroom, boardroom or beyond. Focus on what matters most and send content from any device to a receiver connected to a television or projector.

Just select any media file in AirParrot to begin watching on your TV—even control playback from your remote control. Streaming media is quick and results in no audio or video quality loss. Beam media in 5.1 surround sound for a theatre experience, at home. AirParrot effortlessly handles the headaches of different video formats so your videos always play right where you want them, regardless of receiver compatibility.

AirParrot 3.1.3 changelog:

Fixed a crash when trying to extend desktop Download: AirParrot 32-bit | AirParrot 64-bit | ~ 70.0 MB (Shareware)
      Download: AirParrot for Mac | 26.2 MB
      View: AirParrot Home Page | AirParrot Screenshot

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.12
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC plays absolutely anything. It supports an enormous number of multimedia formats, and does not require you to download additional codecs. VLC features a complete streaming server, with extended features like video on demand, on-the-fly transcoding, granular speed controls, frame-by-frame advancement and more. It can also be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC Media Player now features fully customizable toolbars, customizable Skins, supports playback for broken files as well as zipped files, and so much more.

Changes between 3.0.11 and 3.0.12:

Access

Add new RIST access module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1) Access Output

Add new RIST access output module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1) Demux

Fixed adaptive's handling of resolution settings Audio output

Fix audio distortion on macOS during start of playback Video Output

Direct3D11: Fix some potential crashes when using video filters macOS

Add native support for Apple Silicon / ARM-64 Visual UI adaptations for macOS Big Sur Fix displaying EQ bands in the UI depending on which frequency presets are set for the EQ in advanced preferences Fix UI issues in bookmarks window Misc

Several fixes in the web interface, including privacy and security improvements Update YouTube and Vocaroo scripts Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.12 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.12 (64-bit) | Portable |
      View: VLC Media Player Website | Other Operating Sytems

• By zikalify
      Google to limit Chrome sync API following audit
      by Paul Hill

Google has announced that it will be limiting access to private Chrome APIs that enable features such as Chrome sync and Click to Call so that only its browsers can use them. The decision follows an audit by the company which uncovered that third-party Chromium-based browsers were using the APIs.

The web giant said that users of some third-party browsers were able to sign in to their Google Account and store and retrieve their Chrome sync data in their third-party browser. The data they could access includes bookmarks and presumably passwords. Google isn’t happy this is happening and has said that the APIs that enable these features will be restricted from March 15, 2021.

For users that have already accessed these features, their data will still be available in their Google Account and will continue to be stored locally in their third-party browser. To continue using the restricted features, users will have no other option than to switch to Google Chrome or Chromium.

Google Chrome’s Engineering Director Jochen Eisinger who authored the post did not share which browsers were using these APIs but Chromium has become an extraordinarily popular choice to build browsers on top of. Microsoft’s Edge, Opera, Vivaldi and Brave are some popular web browsers that are built atop of Chromium but they each have their independent syncing services.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft Teams recordings to be stored on OneDrive for Business and SharePoint after March 1
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft Teams recordings typically get stored on Stream, a video management platform the company launched for businesses back in 2017. The firm announced in October 2020 that it would be transitioning storage platforms to OneDrive for Business and SharePoint, and allowed Government Community Cloud (GCC) customers to opt-out as part of a phased rollout. It has now announced firm dates for this process.

Starting from January 11, GCC Teams recordings will be stored on OneDrive for Business and SharePoint unless the setting has been explicitly set to Stream. However, after March 1, no new meeting recording will be stored on Stream, even if customers have set it as their as their preference. Instead, they will be stored on OneDrive for Business and SharePoint, utilizing existing storage quotas that customers purchased for these services. As such, Microsoft has recommended that customers change their preference before March 1, so they have better control over how and where their recordings are being stored.

The Redmond tech giant has also outlined multiple advantages of this transition including easier setting of permissions and access rights, increased quota, faster availability, and support for bring your own key (BYOK), among other things.

However, there are some limitations to consider as well. Transcription for meetings is not available in GCC, with support available for English closed captioning only. Furthermore, there is no way to prevent people with access to the recordings from downloading them. Finally, customers will not receive an automated email when a recording is ready.

The company has outlined several ways to enable and disable the new storage platforms, and has also described in detail the locations at which recordings will be saved. Microsoft has emphasized that Stream will not be deprecated in the near future and current recordings will remain as-is until they are migrated to OneDrive for Business and SharePoint at a currently unannounced date.

• By Copernic
      AirParrot 3.1.2.127
      by Razvan Serea

AirParrot allows you to wirelessly beam your screen or media files to a variety of media receivers. Easily share your screen, videos, audio, presentations and so much more. AirParrot is designed to send content to a number of media receivers, even simultaneously. Broadcast to multiple devices like Apple TV and Chromecast, or share audio around the house to AirPlay-enabled speakers. Use AirParrot in combination with Reflector to create a seamless mirroring experience to any computer or device. Never worry about compatibility issues again; share from any device, to any device!

Share wirelessly with everyone in the room without the need for cables and adapters. AirParrot gives anyone the ability to share and engage the classroom, boardroom or beyond. Focus on what matters most and send content from any device to a receiver connected to a television or projector.

Just select any media file in AirParrot to begin watching on your TV—even control playback from your remote control. Streaming media is quick and results in no audio or video quality loss. Beam media in 5.1 surround sound for a theatre experience, at home. AirParrot effortlessly handles the headaches of different video formats so your videos always play right where you want them, regardless of receiver compatibility.

AirParrot 3.1.2.127 changelog:

Fixed a startup crash that occurred with the in-app license-purchasing module for some users Fixed an installation failure that occurred when different languages were set for users Download: AirParrot 32-bit | AirParrot 64-bit | ~ 70.0 MB (Shareware)
      Download: AirParrot for Mac | 26.2 MB
      View: AirParrot Home Page | AirParrot Screenshot