PHP vs ASP

Which is better.. PHP or ASP?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better.. PHP or ASP?

• PHP
    • ASP

Question

Welcome to the Definite Thread for PHP vs ASP!

After a long debate and me reffering to ASP as being homosexual while PHP is straight as an arrow with my good friend, Cody, we've decided to take it to Neowin so let's know what you think.. is PHP or ASP better? Vote and explain if possible please!

asp is superior.

it's easier to program and more capable OOTB too. It runs on Linux AND Superior Windows boxes. Oh... and let's not even bring .NET into this... because ASP.NET r0x0rz my b0x0rs

well ASP.net is the best, if have never used it, use it now and you will never go back, and its not an option on the poll so i cant vote.

(Y) totally agree.

If you liked ASP, then you will love ASP.NET. It is soooo much more capable and clean. I love programming in asp.net

asp is superior.

it's easier to program and more capable OOTB too. It runs on Linux AND Superior Windows boxes. Oh... and let's not even bring .NET into this... because ASP.NET r0x0rz my b0x0rs

true (Y)

ASP.NET will prolly NEVER run on any platform other than MS... but maybe someday somebody will save all you PHPers and enlighten you by porting it over, full CLR support and all... and even then linux will never be superior. All the money you save on licensing you spend in setup, support, etc... and linux STILL isn't as capable as a WinBox. :)

/* tosses gas on the fire */

having had experience with ASP, PHP, ASP.NET my favourite would probably be PHP and ASP.NET, but still PHP has some pros over ASP.NET, i found the include function in PHP to be much better, but ASP.NET is probably the future, but to run it is expensive where as PHP can be ran on almost any OS. So its upto you really!

PHP is way better. for the following reasons:

1) completely free

2) very similar to C

3) non-microsoft

4) since it's free, it's not hard to find a low cost server that supports it. ASP servers are all high cost, vulnerable, buggy windows boxes.

5) PHP is faster than ASP

ASP.NET rocks, agreed it mainly isnt free but ms has put alot of effort into it, as well as relying on its success. PHP is also powerful and popular, but at the end of the day that wasnt the whole point of voting, the point was which is the best language, not which is the most popular which i think some people arn't considering.

Btw can someone please state a good reason why php is better instead of just saying it is!

/Edit

Sorry didnt see EnderDX's post when i wrote this, but still can we stick to facts as opposed to slating Os's please. Just cause somethings free and not ms doesnt mean its better

free = more money spent on setup and support = BAD

similar to C = Not as easy to pickup as VB = BAD

non-MS = Bad Support = BAD

Low Cost Servers = Buggy, open source, unpatched = BAD

PHP > ASP = FALSE

/* more gas for the fire ;) */

ASP is FAR easier to learn and maintain, far more efficient at database interfacing, filesystem interfacing, as well as a boat load of other things.

Btw can someone please state a good reason why php is better instead of just saying it is!

the include function in php is much better, and also there is more support for it and it is used more widely, an example of this could be Neowin.

sorry 4got about that one, but i hope you get my point that a few people have just put becasue it is.

I'd also like to point out that linux is as buggy as windows

scince when has ms had good support? php has more support there r lots more ppl coding in it but lie i said b4 i lie both php and asp.net(still learning the basics)

edit: yeh sure linux is buggy but as buggy as most versions of windows? ME 98 LH??!?!?!? i its as buggy as those im gonna drop dead! yeh sure its hard gettting used to for a newb and isnt compatable with most hardware but thats oly coz it isnt so popular as ms so there isnt much demand for the dtivers etc etc

free = more money spent on setup and support = BAD

similar to C = Not as easy to pickup as VB = BAD

non-MS = Bad Support = BAD

Low Cost Servers = Buggy, open source, unpatched = BAD

PHP > ASP = FALSE

/* more gas for the fire ;) */

it's better to spend money on setup and support, that creates jobs.

similar to C is better because you don't have idiots writing software. I cringe whenever I see a program written in VB or a website that uses VBscript. VB is for learning how to program, not for real programming.

non-MS = better stability, better customer support from non monopolistic companies like Redhat or SuSE. Microsoft doesnt care about you, they proved that by making an inferior version of windows for home users (Win98)

Low cost servers - open source which gets patched more often, i know because my web host frozenonline is always up to date with software and patches.