There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Gran Turismo Sport announced (with VR support)

Word so far is they're dropping the numbering, but if it comes out this is a prologue, I'll update. VR support included.

Building on its legacy as the most realistic and accessible driving simulator, GT Sport has partnered with the FIA to push the boundaries of racing games. In addition to everything you'd expect from a GT, the team at Polyphony and the FIA are introducing an online racing series that will be recognized alongside real world motor racing by the FIA.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to think of this... is VR optional or is it a VR game?  If VR is optional then doesn't that hurt the non-VR experience?

I mean VR games need to be like 120Hz to keep from making people sick.  Sony has some doubling tech that allows the unit to insert frames and go from 60fps to 120 but that means the PS still has to be hitting 1080p@60fps (960x1080 per eye) which the unit will turn into 1080p@120fps.  Few games hit a rock solid 1080p@60fps on PS4 so the graphics would have to be scaled back to meet that target.  Seems for a non-VR game it wouldn't be as big a deal if the resolution dropped to 900p@60fps or even 1080p@30fps which is far more attainable.  As such it seems like VR should be a different game entirely, one with slightly worse graphics but a solid 1080p@60fps while the non-VR would be better graphics but not necessarily hit those resolution/framerate targets.  Also in a mixed competitive environment would the VR player have an advantage being able to easily look around while non-VR players view is fixed forward or toggles between some presets?

I'm not sure what to think of this... is VR optional or is it a VR game?  If VR is optional then doesn't that hurt the non-VR experience?

I mean VR games need to be like 120Hz to keep from making people sick.  Sony has some doubling tech that allows the unit to insert frames and go from 60fps to 120 but that means the PS still has to be hitting 1080p@60fps (960x1080 per eye) which the unit will turn into 1080p@120fps.  Few games hit a rock solid 1080p@60fps on PS4 so the graphics would have to be scaled back to meet that target.  Seems for a non-VR game it wouldn't be as big a deal if the resolution dropped to 900p@60fps or even 1080p@30fps which is far more attainable.  As such it seems like VR should be a different game entirely, one with slightly worse graphics but a solid 1080p@60fps while the non-VR would be better graphics but not necessarily hit those resolution/framerate targets.  Also in a mixed competitive environment would the VR player have an advantage being able to easily look around while non-VR players view is fixed forward or toggles between some presets?

They just said it would support VR. It's not VR only. As for how it'll work technically, probably a resolution drop to attain 60FPS. GT5/6 on the PS3 ran at 1280x1080 so maybe something similar (960x1080 like you said). Online lobbies may get a VR only toggle, or if competitiveness isn't affected just a free for all of your choice.

Word so far is they're dropping the numbering, but if it comes out this is a prologue, I'll update. VR support included.

They're not dropping the numbering.  GT Sport is NOT GT 7.  They claim it's more than a Prologue but it sounds like it's Prologue + Online.

Source

• Like 1

GT5/6 on the PS3 ran at 1280x1080

GT6 runs at 1440x1080. I much prefer GT5's resolution - more consistent/fluid @ 60 FPS.  

Glad to see something new from PD after their (famous) silence that they are renowned for, no doubt as a result of jumping the gun so many times with GT5 :p :whistle: 

Excited for the new cars included in the trailer; new Aston Martin Vantage GTE, Mercedes AMG GT and the Lamborghini Veneno :drool:, the Ring looks redone with realistic foliage/new trackside details and even more impressed it with being an open beta on the PS4, PD finally going outside their "no-communication with the fans" bubble (Y) 

Here's hoping for a full-length trailer with Daiki Kasho music + more details at PSX in December :D 

• Like 1

They're not dropping the numbering.  GT Sport is NOT GT 7.  They claim it's more than a Prologue but it sounds like it's Prologue + Online.

Source

Decent trailer. In the hope this drops next year then, when are we actually looking at getting a full GT game? 2017-2018? 

They just said it would support VR. It's not VR only. As for how it'll work technically, probably a resolution drop to attain 60FPS. GT5/6 on the PS3 ran at 1280x1080 so maybe something similar (960x1080 like you said). Online lobbies may get a VR only toggle, or if competitiveness isn't affected just a free for all of your choice.

You can't really drop resolution to attain 60fps on VR games.  They REALLY need to be 1080p@60fps minimum. (90fps and native 120fps is also supported).  This is because the screen is literally centimeters from your face so while there are strong arguments that you can't really see the difference between 900p and 1080p on a TV in the living room the difference is FAR more noticeable when you have the display strapped to your face.  DriveClub had a VR tech demo that Eurogamer got to see and this is what they said about it:

some optimisation has been made to get DriveClub running at 60fps - in contrast to the 30fps the base game runs at - with the car count being reduced from 12 to eight competitors, and with some trackside detail and the nuances of the weather and cloud system being dialled back. The rear-view mirrors were also disabled

Source

Also the 960x1080 I mentioned was per eye so the console is still rendering 1920x1080 it's just doing so as two images (one per eye) instead of one (that's another reason the little external box is needed for PlayStation VR as well as the console is outputting the two side-by-side images for the VR Headset so for others to also get a single image on the TV the box stitches those two images together and outputs a single image in a format the TV will understand.)

It just seems strange to me that mainline GT would be willing to sacrifice visual effects and such to hit the rock solid 1080p@60fps required for VR when most players will be non-VR users.  It seems more reasonable to make GT7 or whatever the best visual effects, etc. that they can do for non-VR players and then spin off a separate PlayStation VR version with the trade-offs made to get that 1080p@60fps as a VR-only game.  We'll see how it works out though.  I'm particularly interested to see how GT Sport ends up comparing to DriveClub, espeically if DriveClub does indeed get a VR version as well (so far it's just a tech demo).