Games Don't Play in Win 2003..! :(

It's a server OS, not a desktop OS therefore if it even lets you play some games, you are lucky because it wasn't designed to play games.

You decided to use a server OS, you will suffer the fact that it doesn't do everything a desktop OS can do.

Almost no one here is willing to help you, or even feel sympathy for you.

Have fun with your server OS...

**just by reading the title**

REALLY! Maybe because its a server OS!

you's says "oh yah, never really thot of that :happy: "

Seriously, jsut enable the 3d junk and it should work

I Think the problem alot of people have is that using 2003 and asking about games is like a blatent "Hey I'm a pirate and I'm using the latest of version of windows to look cool". Most people think its just a reved up version of XP, well yeah it is, but the problem is that you aren't likely to use ANY of the 'reved up' features unless you just happen to run a active directory domain machine and play games during low peak times. Basically the point is why run something that isn't gonna benefit you? and just confuse you more?.

You decided to use a server OS, you will suffer the fact that it doesn't do everything a desktop OS can do.

Almost no one here is willing to help you, or even feel sympathy for you.

Have fun with your server OS...

toast ur funny just like the others who say "its a server not a workstation" there are a good number of us that offer help when we can

though we dont alwase do it via posts in pub sevral times i have PM'ed help to people becouse i didnt figuar they would see it otherwise thanks to morons who post just ta call people stupid for using it as anything other then a FULL server

every admin i know ( i know at least 20 around here) thats got access to full 2k3 has taken it home to play with and has ended up with in on all the machiens in the house that could take it (a few of them use linux/bsd/solaris on sub par systems) and all have but one thing to say

they wished ms would relive a workstation/PRO ver of 2k3 or a huge patch for xp that makes it as relaible/fast as 2k3

one of them reads these forums but refuses to post becouse in his words "there a bunch of kids who think they are smart and know how others should use there computers" "with that attatude they will endup eather in managment or working in a job thats non-computer related"

he says that every time we talk though his wording dose change each time some times he cusses about how rude and stupid it is to say that any version of windows nt is ONLY a workstation OR only a server

oh and hes been a net admin since the dos/win3x/novel days started out as the admin for a school now works for a large company in portland oregon (like 30miles from here) he didnt want me to say what company becouse he dosnt wana deal with ideots emailing his webmasters with stupid **** about using 2k3 as a workstation

toast ur funny just like the others who say "its a server not a workstation" there are a good number of us that offer help when we can

though we dont alwase do it via posts in pub sevral times i have PM'ed help to people becouse i didnt figuar they would see it otherwise thanks to morons who post just ta call people stupid for using it as anything other then a FULL server

every admin i know ( i know at least 20 around here) thats got access to full 2k3 has taken it home to play with and has ended up with in on all the machiens in the house that could take it (a few of them use linux/bsd/solaris on sub par systems) and all have but one thing to say

they wished ms would relive a workstation/PRO ver of 2k3 or a huge patch for xp that makes it as relaible/fast as 2k3

one of them reads these forums but refuses to post becouse in his words "there a bunch of kids who think they are smart and know how others should use there computers" "with that attatude they will endup eather in managment or working in a job thats non-computer related"

he says that every time we talk though his wording dose change each time some times he cusses about how rude and stupid it is to say that any version of windows nt is ONLY a workstation OR only a server

oh and hes been a net admin since the dos/win3x/novel days started out as the admin for a school now works for a large company in portland oregon (like 30miles from here) he didnt want me to say what company becouse he dosnt wana deal with ideots emailing his webmasters with stupid **** about using 2k3 as a workstation

You are... Oh boy.

Firstly, don't call US stupid when you don't even use proper punctuation/spelling/grammer. You look like a genuine idiot doing that. Here's a tip, and I mean this as nicely as possible- If you want people to take you seriously, spell out the word "you", and capitalize the first letter of your sentances. Even those 2 small tips will help you look like you know what you're talking about, and people will respect you more.

I'm not trying to sound snide, or rude... It's an honest fact, and I'm trying to help you look a little more intimidating. I don't like arguing with people that don't look like they know how to use a keyboard. I believe you're smarter than your typing skills make you out to be.

Secondly- If he has 2003 on his home machine, he either A) Warez'd it. B) Took it home from work/another server (Equally illegal- he has one license). or C) Went online and spent $1,000+ on a peice of software that he (obviously) doesn't know much about.

In the case of A) He stole it, and while I don't personally have a clean slate myself, we don't help with warez here at Neowin. We're a very legitamite community.

In the case of B) He still stole it, but I wouldn't have a problem helping him personally. But if he's working with 2k3 at work, I should hope he knows that it's not a gaming platform. Anyways, we've answered his question- It doesn't game very well, so don't expect it to.

And in the case of C) He's an idiot to spend a grand on an OS that he knows nothing about. Again, we've answered the question- It doesn't game very well. And from there, he's learned a valuable ($1,000) lesson- Before you buy something, know what it does. My 10 year old brother could tell you that one.

Tell this "friend" of yours (Quotations, because I don't believe he exists/said that) that if he's taken home a copy of 2003, I highly doubt he did it in a legitimate fassion. We don't think we're "smart", persay, here... We just think we're not idiots. I'm young, but tell him I'll call him in a few years when I'm making more money than him.

You are... Oh boy.

Firstly, don't call US stupid when you don't even use proper punctuation/spelling/grammer. You look like a genuine idiot doing that. Here's a tip, and I mean this as nicely as possible- If you want people to take you seriously, spell out the word "you", and capitalize the first letter of your sentances. Even those 2 small tips will help you look like you know what you're talking about, and people will respect you more.

I'm not trying to sound snide, or rude... It's an honest fact, and I'm trying to help you look a little more intimidating. I don't like arguing with people that don't look like they know how to use a keyboard. I believe you're smarter than your typing skills make you out to be.

Secondly- If he has 2003 on his home machine, he either A) Warez'd it. B) Took it home from work/another server (Equally illegal- he has one license). or C) Went online and spent $1,000+ on a peice of software that he (obviously) doesn't know much about.

In the case of A) He stole it, and while I don't personally have a clean slate myself, we don't help with warez here at Neowin. We're a very legitamite community.

In the case of B) He still stole it, but I wouldn't have a problem helping him personally. But if he's working with 2k3 at work, I should hope he knows that it's not a gaming platform. Anyways, we've answered his question- It doesn't game very well, so don't expect it to.

And in the case of C) He's an idiot to spend a grand on an OS that he knows nothing about. Again, we've answered the question- It doesn't game very well. And from there, he's learned a valuable ($1,000) lesson- Before you buy something, know what it does. My 10 year old brother could tell you that one.

Tell this "friend" of yours (Quotations, because I don't believe he exists/said that) that if he's taken home a copy of 2003, I highly doubt he did it in a legitimate fassion. We don't think we're "smart", persay, here... We just think we're not idiots. I'm young, but tell him I'll call him in a few years when I'm making more money than him.

Acctuly the friend i was refering to is one of the head admins for a company thats primarly conntracts for intel and techtronics.

Hes the one who ordered the one who ordered the software and his bosses know he got extra licneces and they also know he took a copy home to use

Yes my spelling is ****ty as is my grammer sorry i we cant all be perfect

Oh and it games quite well as long as you know how to enable d3d/sound its not that hard really.

Oh and u can get full ligit copy of 2k3 for under 1k if you know where to buy it

For students and teachers http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....26&searchdepa=0

Or for those that are not students or teachers try pricewatch u can get the full licenced ver for about 300

http://iontechnologies.safeshopper.com/58/114.htm?829

Humm thats not 1k now is it LOL

Infact its less then 1/3 of the regular ms retail price

http://69.20.62.194/default.htm

U can also get sbs for around the same price last i checked

i have more "friends" then i care to think about ("friends" becouse most of them are only gaming buddys not true friends)

duno how much he makes hes got a nice house and a nice car and more comp **** then anybody i have ever met LOL

and hes happy so whats it matter

i been working on him to find a possition for me but the company just started hiring temps agin this week so it will be a while b4 they start hiring real workers of any kind :(

well have fun im gonna go play some unreal2 xmp :)

Acctuly the friend i was refering to is one of the head admins for a company thats primarly conntracts for intel and techtronics.

Hes the one who ordered the one who ordered the software and his bosses know he got extra licneces and they also know he took a copy home to use

Yes my spelling is ****ty as is my grammer sorry i we cant all be perfect

Oh and it games quite well as long as you know how to enable d3d/sound its not that hard really.

Oh and u can get full ligit copy of 2k3 for under 1k if you know where to buy it

For students and teachers http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....26&searchdepa=0

Or for those that are not students or teachers try pricewatch u can get the full licenced ver for about 300

http://iontechnologies.safeshopper.com/58/114.htm?829

Humm thats not 1k now is it LOL

Infact its less then 1/3 of the regular ms retail price

http://69.20.62.194/default.htm

U can also get sbs for around the same price last i checked

i have more "friends" then i care to think about ("friends" becouse most of them are only gaming buddys not true friends)

duno how much he makes hes got a nice house and a nice car and more comp **** then anybody i have ever met LOL

and hes happy so whats it matter

i been working on him to find a possition for me but the company just started hiring temps agin this week so it will be a while b4 they start hiring real workers of any kind :(

well have fun im gonna go play some unreal2 xmp :)

*Claps* Very, very nicely done.

I took you seriously this time. I'm not kidding.

I wasn't aware that you could get such cheap copies of 2003, and I wasn't aware how easy it was to enable d3d sound.

And I'm glad your friend makes more than me- That's a good thing, seeing how I'm 15 and jobless :p.

But mainly, thank you for making a readable post. Honestly and truely, I think we all appreciate it quite a bit. It's a little thing that makes a huge difference.

*Claps* Very, very nicely done.

I took you seriously this time. I'm not kidding.

I wasn't aware that you could get such cheap copies of 2003, and I wasn't aware how easy it was to enable d3d sound.

And I'm glad your friend makes more than me- That's a good thing, seeing how I'm 15 and jobless :p.

But mainly, thank you for making a readable post. Honestly and truely, I think we all appreciate it quite a bit. It's a little thing that makes a huge difference.

gif_whatever.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My oh my... I never thought this topic would go on this way. Seems like most of the ppl flaming here are doing so to increase their # of posts, tht's it. Well PF Prophet & so many of you out there who did help, THANKS A LOT. I actually solved my problem within a few mins of posting this topic. All 3D games work just perfect, actually they work better than the way they do on XP. My friend who runs XP even had problems installing some of the games.

As of the other Sheep who follow the herd blindly, I care a F@*k about your flames. Well it clearly shows how dumb you all are, who aren't ready for a challenge. Well Spoon feeding is what you'll look upto, don't worry u'll get the same in some crappy form like XP.

BTW "Linked" who like to point at Punctuation/Grammatical/Spelling mistakes, please go thru your own post, U'll find enough spelling mistakes yourself. :p

Windows 2003 WILL play games, and very well I might add. I run 2k3, and have yet to play a game that doesn't work on it. With 2k3's compatability mode, I don't see how a game can't run on it.

wow purposful post there delta :/

anyways i had 2k3 but it didnt pick up my sata raid-0 soooooo back to xp. it was wierd. ati install was hard to do and nforce ran like poop. it also said something about a bad serial key when i tried to update :p kl :shifty: :ninja:

So yea, the search function on this topic must be broken? Google is down again like it always is? Give me a break. The search function works and google is never down. If you wanna use a server OS as a desktop OS, then fine. It's your baby. I mean, who cares?

I don't know why people:

1 - Ask questions that have more answers than one has time to read. A simple search on a popular topic such as this should be useful and sufficient.

2 - FLAME them and argue over who's correct. If it can be used as a desktop OS, great. But some people act like they wrote the damn thing, and therefore know it's every purpose. The arrogance is amazing. Yea, it says server on there, but that's marketing to the target audience. That's the only thing the nay-sayers know for sure.

My previous post simply expresses that when it comes to this debate, I am tired of BOTH sides. :hmmm:

I find it funny that these people are so arrogant about it when ms acctuly recoments it if u want to use more then 2 cpu's for anything u gotta use it

and some of the highend graphix machiens used are quad cpu there basickly servers with bitchin video cards in them(pci mind u since most servers dont got agp)

Its all about where ms was targeting it they needed a new server os and orignaly where gonna put out a new desktop/pro version but becouse ALOT of companys didnt like them dumping xp just as they where moving to it or just after they have moved to it

We who wanted a better version of xp without all the crap didnt get it MS is drivem by there highest paying clients first inovation isnt even in the top 5 things ms looks at when making a program

they worry about how it can take the place of a compatotors product how it there CORP/OEM clients are gonna accept it

the END user isnt even a consideration to me becouse they for the most part will take what ever crap ms say it the best (xp over 2k)

yeah xp has skins/theims oh wow that makes it so much more functional thats why most the people i know dissable them and use classic layout

xp was the dumbed up version of 2k more wizzards more step by step wizzards theims that look like "My First PC" or something made by fisher price (luna anybody)

if u look at it the same people who say xp is better then 2k are the same people saying that 2k3 is just xp becouse its only .1 kernal versions higher funny **** really xp is 5.1 that makes it .1 kernals higher then 2k hence in there OWN words NO better maby even worse for gaming LOL

xp has nothing i use that 2k cant provide

oh wait ur gonna say app compat mode well m8 thats in 2k just look in the support folder on the cd ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You know what? I have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, and I run games PERFECTLY! Better framerate than XP!!!

I also run all the products that work on xp but are said not to work on 2003 by a retard! It takes a bit more work to get them working, but they DO work! Have you guys forgot about Compatibility Mode?

And.. the guy wanted to know how he could run games. I think it's his choice on what platform he is going to run his games. If you don't know the answer to his question, don't try to look intelligent just by saying you can't!

And, here's how to do it! Follow this link. It will help you configure your server 2003 to run as a workstation (without even changing versions!):

http://www.<< spam >>/win2k3/index.htm

There you go :)

• 11 months later...

Wow I was on here reading all this garb about how Windows 2003 (aka Windows .Net) is not construed as a gaming platform. Well if any of you Linux/Unix Gurus would actually take a look into it, you will find that the kernel resembles one of your own Darwin flavors that infects a lot of your distros. Hmmmm. . . . now how could that be. Well there are a lot of things novices tend to overlook when trying to debunk an OS.

1.) 2003 is cleaned up XP code with a fast Kernel and memory optimizations.

2.) Might be a solid server, but those features can be turned off or not installed.

3.) Games won't run due to the Windows Installer. Look into downloading the SDK from Microsoft that has the Orca.msi utility and start nuking MSI tables called LoadConfiguration. This is the main problem especially where it says {Not Windows NT=502} That line has got to go so you can install.

That is just some helpful tips I have discovered. Also you might want to edit your services.msc from command line to help other configurations out and do some registry editing {egads I mentioned registry} to turn this into a 78MB of RAM usage front load with only 24 processes running.

All in All 2003 is a hell of a gaming system in my opinion, but it also supports other things I use daily for building and deploying .Net Apps and other functions I need that are server related for my job.

Oh and BTW I am a System Admin for Linux/Unix as well. Every OS has its place. Some may be utilized for diferent instances and I sure would not consider loading Wine to try and play games on SUSE 9.2 Pro.