Clean install 10565 login delay

After entering either password or pin I experience an almost exactly 30 sec delay with spinning ellipsis before continuing to desktop. 

Do not get this delay in safe mode or confusingly if I run boot logging with process monitor (?!). 

Also if I ctrl-alt-del during the delay I can start task manager which gets me to desktop avoiding the delay. 

Disabling all run at boot progs and even msconfig diag startup still have the delay. 

This is using Microsoft account for login. 

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply.

It's not doing updates and I'd stopped everything (non-ms services, startup items) in msconfig.

Today I ended up doing a refresh and it went away... but it's just come back again after a restart :/

Could probably be driver initialization? Just grasping for straws as to what it could be.....like maybe an AV/FW driver being loaded on system boot perhaps?

Just out of curiosity, are you on a wired or wireless network connection?

It's wired - Intel I-217V, I'm just about to update to latest driver (just got a warning message at install regarding ANS so I'll not install that, not teaming or anything fancy anyway).

Try resetting your PIN. It could be some internal error. From what I can infer is that it is trying to reach MS servers for validation.

I'll try this, thanks

I experienced that too with that build, it's no longer happening with build 10576 though.

Interesting - I've not been offered that build yet, hopefully soon.

Another thing - I've installed Windows Performance Analyzer and done boot tracing with that. Again the delay disappears.

edit: One more detail, if I ctrl+alt+del and task manager to avoid the delay I notice the start menu is not fully populated (pinned apps) until around the time the ~30sec delay would have ended. Also if I click the start button the taskbar gets populated.

edit again: just restarted after updating NIC driver and also removing PIN from MSA - no change, still 30sec delay at 'Welcome'/spinning .....

Edited by Dewbs
more info

Ok still happening but discovered I don't even need to start task manager to bypass the delay. Ctrl+alt+del and then cancel gets me direct to desktop and clicking start button populates taskbar.

It seems to be a problem with the start menu somehow (ShellExperienceHost.exe).

Still not being offered 10576.

Just been offered 10576. Applied, restarted, update stalled after a while on black screen. Left it for a good while then reset. Result was an infinite boot loop and had to recover to previous build.

edit: ok so it turns out the 'black screen' was the restart powering up my Rift DK2 and presuming it was the primary screen thus leaving a blank/black screen in my monitor. After first restart on 10576 the delay has gone but now we will see if it returns like before.

edit 2: after 2 restarts and it seems to be ok!

Edited by Dewbs
more info

• 4 weeks later...