[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

On 8/11/2016 at 4:26 AM, Nefarious Trigger said:

Sounds like they are making it as reflective of not only Gene's ideas of the future, but also the reality of the here and now as they possibly can.

Personally I think Star Trek needs to move beyond some of the 1960s themes, recognizing times have changed and science fiction needs to do different things today in order to be challenging.

Anyway, I can't get passed how tacky the ST: Discovery logo is, but will give the show a chance.

• Like 3

i hope the delay is because they are taking time to design a great looking starship and other ships.

i like the new enterprise but only the saucer and engineering, i still hate the nacelles which are just ...........

at least enterprise got ships to look good in overall shape.

somewhere between the end of enterprise and the new movies everything about trek ship designs got binned or so it seems.

i just re-watched the test footage again for this show and went ughhh at the crappy ship...i hope it's not what we see when this show finally airs. i pray to the guardian of tomorrow the show turns out good.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:20 PM, Slarlac249 said:

i hope the delay is because they are taking time to design a great looking starship and other ships.

I'll play the sceptic on that.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:20 PM, Slarlac249 said:

somewhere between the end of enterprise and the new movies everything about trek ship designs got binned or so it seems.

Because it's a completely different production crew uninterested in the previous series' who haven't even been able to maintain canon which wasn't erased by the "alternate timeline" plot.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:20 AM, Slarlac249 said:

i like the new enterprise but only the saucer and engineering, i still hate the nacelles which are just ...........

at least enterprise got ships to look good in overall shape.

i just re-watched the test footage again for this show and went ughhh at the crappy ship...i hope it's not what we see when this show finally airs. i pray to the guardian of tomorrow the show turns out good.

According to the folks at Trekyards, JJ specifically wanted CG people who never worked on Trek before. With that, went all continuity in starship design, and that explains why all the ships in the JJ verse are like 2 miles long.

What's the big deal if the ship are bigger?  There's a argument to be made that the size makes more sense once you take into account for a larger crew and for early tech that's bigger.  The refit at the end of beyond its actually smaller as its new and thus has better and smaller tech. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

With that, went all continuity in starship design, and that explains why all the ships in the JJ verse are like 2 miles long.

I don't think many people from the art department on TNG had worked in Star Trek before, Andy Probert being the main exception but they did all respect designs of the original and made decisions not to stray too far.

6 hours ago, George P said:

The refit at the end of beyond its actually smaller as its new and thus has better and smaller tech. 

It wasn't a refit but a new ship and the reason for making ships bigger in real trek is that they would be out in space longer.

still sucks that star wars continues to get the proper treatment but star trek is left in the gutter as the 2nd rate sci-fi franchise

trek used to be awesome, now it's just average

i used to eagly await the next ep of enterprise.... after voy finished

i really want this series to be good...but the delays is worrying

Edited by Slarlac249

6 hours ago, Son_Of_Dad said:

I don't think many people from the art department on TNG had worked in Star Trek before, Andy Probert being the main exception but they did all respect designs of the original and made decisions not to stray too far.

It wasn't a refit but a new ship and the reason for making ships bigger in real trek is that they would be out in space longer.

Your right,  it is a new ship,  but my point stands,  at the end of beyond,  if you compare it to the refit at the start of the movie,  it's smaller,  going off of the idea that it's newer and using better tech,  it makes more sense.   They've also upped the crew counts over time in trek,  not only are they out longer but in the case of tng,  they had a large number of civilian people on the ship. 

I feel like Roddenberry's kid should be running the franchise right now. He gets it I think. And while I didn't hate JJ's original take on the reboot/whatever you wanna call it, the next few not so much. Beyond was OK, but let's face it - it was just an action movie in the guise of Trek. And while later Trek movies certainly fit that bill also all you have to do is look at First Contact and see how action can be mixed with Trek the right way with character development and interesting themes that fit Trek.

Nobody in particular: Blah blah blah JJ Trek blah blah blah

It's made the franchise more money than any other Trek endeavor.  Put yourself in the shoes as the type of person who actually signs off on these decisions and then explain to me how massive viewing figures and massive sums of money are a bad thing?  

4 hours ago, George P said:

Your right,  it is a new ship,  but my point stands,  at the end of beyond,  if you compare it to the refit at the start of the movie,  it's smaller,  going off of the idea that it's newer and using better tech,  it makes more sense.   They've also upped the crew counts over time in trek,  not only are they out longer but in the case of tng,  they had a large number of civilian people on the ship. 

It's not smaller... See those dots on the hull? Those are people. 

14542511_10207748678618413_331545353811404594_o.jpg

37 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

It's not smaller... See those dots on the hull? Those are people. 

14542511_10207748678618413_331545353811404594_o.jpg

Smaller than the version that starts the movie.  I don't believe the ship should be small anyway. 

In the TNG era people like Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda went to great lengths to try and explain how ship technology would work and differences between ships, the new movies aren't interested in doing this so the audience needs to speculate, 1701-A could be smaller due to whatever ship it started out as having a different role :/ 

Given both ships are of the same class size shouldn't differ greatly, at least they didn't do another "planet take-off" witch the second one.

Their is also the question did alt-Kirk and crew deserve another ship? At the end of ST4 Kirk and crew had saved Earth and Kirk required a ship as his 'punishment'. The original Enterprise had also given some 30 years service to SF and made an impessive name for itself.

6 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

It's made the franchise more money than any other Trek endeavor.

You need to factor inflation and production cost. Star Trek Beyond cost $185M in 2016 and made 343.5M at the box office, Star Trek V in 1989 which is universally panned (though not without reason) cost $33M with a box office of $63M.

Then you look at the popular movies from the original six, Wrath of Khan box office 97M from a budget of 11M, Voyage Home 133M from 21M.

• Like 1

So the tv series take time to explain things but the movies don't and this is a surprise, problem?  The movies don't have time to explain every little thing, we've got around 2 hours to work with, not a whole season, let alone 7 or 9.   And come on, Kirk and co saved the earth in the first movie, stopped a war from breaking out with the Klingons and overthrew a crazy guy from starting one in the 2nd movie.   And saved the Yorktown and who knows how many others from genocide from a alien bioweapon.   How do you not give the crew a new ship?   I don't even see it as a question at all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George P said:

Smaller than the version that starts the movie.  I don't believe the ship should be small anyway. 

I think they're intended to be the same size. It's hard to tell though since the original underwent several cosmetic changes, that may or may not have been intended as actual refits. The model was altered for "Beyond" to be smaller, with more weak points for the alien swarm to attack, but I'm not entirely sure it was supposed to be an actual refit as it was a plot point for the movie. 

That's the funny thing when working with CG models that can be changed without the audience noticing. 

Star Trek (2009):

enterprisebeyond.jpg

Star Trek Beyond:

enterprisebeyond.jpg

CBS’ new Star Trek television series, Star Trek Discovery, has had its share of problems getting to the small screen. It’s been delayed twice and saw its showrunner depart, but there are positive signs of progress; Star Trek Discovery is now in production, according to a new teaser released by CBS today.

Today’s sneak peek offers a few enticing details, notably a glimpse at Discovery’s Starfleet uniforms, another look at the USS Discovery and what appear to be alien — possibly Klingon — costumes.

There’s also a closing shot of the new captain’s chair, though it’s not clear who will actually occupy that set yet. You’ll also get a look at the revised Star Trek: Discovery logo, which looks a bit cleaner than what we saw last year.

http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/1/31/14456382/star-trek-discovery-production-teaser-video

15 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

I think they're intended to be the same size. It's hard to tell though since the original underwent several cosmetic changes, that may or may not have been intended as actual refits. The model was altered for "Beyond" to be smaller, with more weak points for the alien swarm to attack, but I'm not entirely sure it was supposed to be an actual refit as it was a plot point for the movie. 

That's the funny thing when working with CG models that can be changed without the audience noticing. 

Star Trek (2009):

enterprisebeyond.jpg

Star Trek Beyond:

enterprisebeyond.jpg

I don't think it was changed just to fit the plot of the movie, I mean if you're going to attack a star fleet ship those are they points you go for, look at the hits the ship takes in WOK, or in the other movies, you always go for the secondary hull and engineering so you knock out power, propulsion, making the ship a sitting duck.  Beyond just took it to the extreme and gives us the 1701-A which, if you can find a model of, doubt it at this point though, only concept images probably, you'll see it's got smaller parts and matches more with the original while still being unique which I say is a good thing.

The weird thing about the JJPrise is it looks like they took bits of the TOS Ent & original 1701A and merged it together and then put those dodgy kids toy engines on to finish it off.

On ‎1‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, George P said:

How do you not give the crew a new ship? 

I'll rephrase it, was their actually reason for Starfleet to rename an existing ship Enterprise. 1701-A was symbolic due to the ending of ST4.

17 hours ago, Slarlac249 said:

The weird thing about the JJPrise is it looks like they took bits of the TOS Ent & original 1701A and merged it together and then put those dodgy kids toy engines on to finish it off.

They matched the ship with the writing. Yeah big butt nacelle's are to much to believe. They looked even worse on the historically impossible "warp 4" ship.

• 1 month later...