iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 4

• Air 2 has faster CPU (1 Extra CPU core)
  • Air 2 has almost double fast GPU
  • Air 2 has better screen with wider color gamut.

Apple will have to try a little harder to make Air 2 obsolete with their planned obsolescence strategy.

Strictly keep your Air 2. Can't get more objective than this.

I have both. And I strongly recommend iPad Mini. It does everything well, and you won't even notice any difference for normal day-to-day tasks.

And it is also a lot lighter and portable. And the PPI count is also much higher than iPad Air 2's, which I also like. And in my personal usage, I find Minis have a longer battery life. 

• Like 1

I have both. And I strongly recommend iPad Mini. It does everything well, and you won't even notice any difference for normal day-to-day tasks.

And it is also a lot lighter and portable. And the PPI count is also much higher than iPad Air 2's, which I also like. And in my personal usage, I find Minis have a longer battery life. 

Sense you have both do you mind answering a few questions please ?

First which one do you find picking up most often ?

Second is the iPad mini large enough to do word processing on and read pdf documents?

Third but last for now does split screen large enough on the iPad mini to see 2 windows at once side by side ?

Sense you have both do you mind answering a few questions please ?

First which one do you find picking up most often ?

Second is the iPad mini large enough to do word processing on and read pdf documents?

Third but last for now does split screen large enough on the iPad mini to see 2 windows at once side by side ?

Sure! And just to be clearer, I own an iPad Air 2 and a Mini 2. And yet I still find myself picking up Mini. And yea, I do almost all my readings and editing on the Mini. I can imagine it'll be a lot snappier with the Mini 4, but it is hard telling the processor difference between Mini 2 and Air 2 already. I plan on getting the new Magic Keyboard soon, so the experience will get even better. 

Thirdly, I don't have the full multitasking, but the side pan that pops from the left seems to be fine for my eyes. And the apps are exactly the same for both, pixel for pixel, so you see exactly the same app no matter what you use except it is slightly smaller on Mini. 

And I do use them both to take pictures, since my Android phone doesn't have a very good camera, it's always easier with the Mini.

Maybe this snapshot will help you get an idea about the multitasking. But I'll always upgrade to Mini from now onwards.

image.png

Thanks for the screenshot that helps a lot!

I keep hearing reports of a iPad mini split screen with text being to small.

Just FYI, the Mini 4 is capable of split screen like the Air 2 while the Mini 2 is only capable of slide-out due to the CPU/GPU difference. I have the Mini 2 and word processing works very well for me. At least with the slide-out window the text size is fine for me.

I bought my wife the Mini 4 as a gift. It's a very nice device that runs circles around my Nexus 10. It's very snappy and you can hold it in one hand.

Split screen multitasking works perfectly as does picture in picture. Split screen doesn't change the size of the text but is like running two iPhone 6 Plus' side by side. 

If it was me if keep the Air 2 though. I just prefer a bigger device.

• 4 weeks later...

Mini. I have a mini 2 and it's the right size.

• 2 months later...

I recently replaced my Air 2 for a Mini 4 and I'm enjoying the smaller form factor. I haven't really noticed any performance drops between the two devices and I seem to be using it more because of the portablility, it's easier to drop into my bag and take with me and I don't feel so conspicuous using the Mini 4 in public. I don't miss the Air 2. 

It really depends on what your going to be using it for. I had a iPad2, then got a mini2 because I use it on the train going to and from work, where to me the full size iPads (i know the air is smaller than the old 2, but not much smaller) are just too big. However if your using it on the sofa or in bed and it doesn't really leave your house then the full size iPad is the one to go for.