OneDrive alternatives (leaving OneDrive)

MEGA gives 50 GB storage for free, but I am not sure I want to give my personal files to Kim Dotcom.

Kim Dotcom does not manage MEGA anymore, he even said it's not even safe to use now. Apparently MEGA got a "hostile takeover by a Chinese investor" and because of this Dotcom plans to create another cloud storage service.

Copy.com is a great alternative since it starts with 15GB for free. If you want more space, share Copy with a friend. When your friend signs up through the link you shared, you and them get 5 GB more. You can earn up to 25GB for free which means you can have up to 40GB without paying a dime.

Hi everyone.

As you may have read on the front page, Microsoft is reducing the free storage for OneDrive users to 5 GB from 15 GB.

I currently have 40 GB of free storage thanks to an offer Microsoft offered a while back. Anyway, my OneDrive is about half-way full (~19 GB).

What I have on it is backup of personal files: (photos & videos of me/family & relatives/girlfriend/friends, textbooks, class notes, old exams, class assignments, etc).

It is very unfortunate that I am leaving OneDrive since it is so well integrate with the Windows ecosystem that I am using.

That said, what free alternatives cloud storage should I look at?

Or you could pay the 2 bucks a month and get 100GB. That's cheaper than one beer.

Wah. I'm not getting stuff for free anymore and now I'm mad!

Except it's not free, my "unlimited" Office 365 which I pay for will now be limited to 1TB - and even the free one I use it's no great shakes to lose but it's like one step forward two steps back for Microsoft.

You're able to set which folders you put on what PC. You're not required to put 1 TB worth of stuff on a new computer (especially with the whole "only 250 GB of space to store 1 TB of stuff" issue).

When you're setting up OneDrive for the first time, it'll ask you what folders you want to sync. If you want to change it after the fact, right-click the OneDrive icon, select "Settings". On the Account tab, select "Choose folders". And there you go!

No you cannot - not on a Mac as there is no client yet !!!!!!!

Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 09.34.04.png

OneDrive free storage capacity:

25 GB (2008) --> 15 GB (2014) --> 5 GB (2015)

15 GB of camera roll bonus is also gone.

If I had to speculate, I would think that the cost of storage has gone up five folds during the last 7 years.

Admittedly, I was parroting older articles talking about online storage stuff when I made the "storage is cheap" comment (stating that for storage providers like Microsoft, it isn't that expensive to maintain storage space compared to other internet services).

However, the point of my writing that paragraph is to say Microsoft really doesn't have much reason to limit free storage that much. Regardless of the prices of maintaining such a service, if they're offering 1 TB + to some customers, they can certainly handle giving free customers 15 GB. And yet they don't. Which is kind of ridiculous.

Everything else in that response, I still stand by.

Well, I didn't think that 1) you were talking about OneDrive for Business for the second half of that post (I got 1 TB of space on my personal OneDrive account with my Office 365 subscription, not my Business account) nor 2) that you were using a Mac.

So my apologies for misunderstanding that!

The bulk of my 'cloud' stuff goes in to a combination of Dropbox and Google Drive, i have a O365 sub for work so computer sync stuff will stay in that. 

Except it's not free, my "unlimited" Office 365 which I pay for will now be limited to 1TB - and even the free one I use it's no great shakes to lose but it's like one step forward two steps back for Microsoft.

You mean your OFfice 350 will now be limited to exactly what it said on the box you'd get ... OH NO!

• Like 2

How much data did you have in there? If you're able to get past 800GB I'm impressed.

OK, that's pretty tragic.

It's so strange to me that they seem to have so much trouble getting OneDrive right.

You mean your OFfice 350 will now be limited to exactly what it said on the box you'd get ... OH NO!

I guess you mean Office365 and it is currently unlimited and I purchased online so sadly no box. So yes I'm sure a few people will be upset that what they pay for is being cut. Hard to tell if you were trying to be funny or misinformed. 

So much tantrums because MS took away part of your free toys...

Seriously if you need it, PAY for it. 

It's not like Windows Phone was advertised as coming with 15gb of cloud storage for photo uploads or anything like that.

I guess you mean Office365 and it is currently unlimited and I purchased online so sadly no box. So yes I'm sure a few people will be upset that what they pay for is being cut. Hard to tell if you were trying to be funny or misinformed. 

The office online sites has only ever promised 1TB. the "unlimited" was an outside extra offer. but not part of the actual "this is what you're buying" contract. 

It's not like Windows Phone was advertised as coming with 15gb of cloud storage for photo uploads or anything like that.

And for lumia owners it still might apply. But they have always covered those ads with limited time or that it may change at any time so... 

Photos are better stored on flickr anyway. 1TB of photos in full original size

So much tantrums because MS took away part of your free toys...

Seriously if you need it, PAY for it. 

So If I have 1.5 TB of storage currently in my OneDrive, how exactly do you propose I go about paying for it? I don't see any way to stack the 50GB offer, so that would make it impossible 'PAY for it' with what I store today.

besides that my one drive still lists me as Free 15GB, 10GB loyalty  bonus, 100GB for groove , 1TB for Office, and I have the 15GB camera bonus (I do of course have a 1020 though it's not actively used right now) so either I'm not affected by the changes or they're not going to affect me anyway. 

Of course I also have 1.12 available of my 1.13TB

besides that my one drive still lists me as Free 15GB, 10GB loyalty  bonus, 100GB for groove , 1TB for Office, and I have the 15GB camera bonus (I do of course have a 1020 though it's not actively used right now) so either I'm not affected by the changes or they're not going to affect me anyway. 

Of course I also have 1.12 available of my 1.13TB

Current storage capacities will not be reduced for 12 months to give people a chance to redistribute their data.

We are fortunate that they reneged on the offer of unlimited storage capacity before they had to mine the asteroid field and convert that mass into data storage media.

Edited by zhangm

And for lumia owners it still might apply. But they have always covered those ads with limited time or that it may change at any time so... 

Photos are better stored on flickr anyway. 1TB of photos in full original size

Until Flickr take that away, well if Microsoft can do it.....

Of course I'm sure you were joking again because I cannot think anybody would seriously suggest that Flickr is a replacement for cloud storage unless you think we should all just screenshot our documents then ocr them when we need to edit....

OneDrive has always been a linchpin of Microsoft's other services.

That fact that MSFT even don't offer 15 GB for free to match its nearest competitor, Google, speaks volume: that is, MSFT is now more interested in monetizing OneDrive than it is maintaining MSFT's other services.

Reducing the free storage to 5 GB is a foolproof way to drive users away.