Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Spying Cannot Be Disabled

Very open? are you for real?
Impossible for you to know what they collect, this will change when Europe Privacy lobby makes its move. Soon we will know what they collect or not.

Apart from it's all written in the legal docs, and on an article they published online to millions of people? I'd say that's pretty open.
Of course a lot of people would rather bitch on a tech forum than actually do any research.

• Like 3

is it really anonymous?

Has anyone here ever searched for a product on google, only to notice the advertisements begin to reflect similar products?

Get ready: Black Mirror - 15 million merits

It's really open, that's why it's taken them 4 months to admit that they collect data even when you turn it off? Yeah, that's true openness.

• Like 1

Anything stored on a hard drive is your data.

Yeah, common misconception that.
Data created for the exact purpose of telemetry, is not classed as "Your data", it's classed as system information data, which has never been and never will be allocated as being owned by you. Same goes for website cookies, temporary files, files stored in most cloud backup solutions and so on. If you search the ICO site you'll find an article on this. When i was working on a financial intranet site for an un-named debt collection agency, we had to run through all this. If the OS, or a website places telemetry or tracking data on your computer, then that data remains under ownership of said creator. This is the same data that MS collects, anonymously, and doesn't allow you to turn off.

• Like 2

is it really anonymous?

Has anyone here ever searched for a product on google, only to notice the advertisements begin to reflect similar products?

Get ready: Black Mirror - 15 million merits

Telemetry data is yes. It's not linked to you as a human, it's related to you as a digital mass of ID's that bear no resemblance to you. Fr example, i couldn't get hold of this data and know it was yours.

You can excuse it how you want (and hey, it's not like government agencies would have an excuse to excuse mass spying, eh? *cough*), it's still intrusive, and it should still be made clear to the user that the "off" switch doesn't actually turn it off.

You can excuse it how you want (and hey, it's not like government agencies would have an excuse to excuse mass spying, eh? *cough*), it's still intrusive, and it should still be made clear to the user that the "off" switch doesn't actually turn it off.

The NSA wants to know when your machine crashes. 

Please dont think I'm making excuses for MS, I'm not, just trying to correct misconceptions or just lack of knowledge.

• Like 2

No matter what version of Windows you are using, Microsoft is collecting this data. Short of switching OS's you cannot escape it (I would guess OSX collects similar information).

Also.. The offswitch turns off exactly what it says it does, there's no misleading practice here. 

The NSA wants to know when your machine crashes. 

Given that the data is encrypted, it's interesting that you can know for sure that it's only crash data. The fact that they took 4 months to admit they do it is enough to raise questions. You think Microsoft can do no wrong, and if you want to hand your data over to them, that's fine. I don't, and I will continue removing the telemetry engine from all computers that I set up until users are given legitimate means to opt out.

• Like 1

Given that the data is encrypted, it's interesting that you can know for sure that it's only crash data. The fact that they took 4 months to admit they do it is enough to raise questions. You think Microsoft can do no wrong, and if you want to hand your data over to them, that's fine. I don't, and I will continue removing the telemetry engine from all computers that I set up until users are given legitimate means to opt out.

Have fun!

As far as I know the EU hasn't said anything about Windows 10 yet and, if it is so bad, I'm surprised they're silent, the EU is usually pretty zealous when it comes to privacy and personal data protection.

• Like 2

Well the way I see it is this. Those of you who are concerned about your privacy, the NSA and Microsoft collecting your data do have a choice:

win95desktop.png

MS is only going to collect, store and process something if it has value to them. Naked pictures of your wife are of 0 value to them. What is valuable to them is exactly what they say they collect - telemetry data. There is no definition of "anonymous telemetry data" that would include your files, your chats, or anything personal to you. They don't list exactly everything included because they want the ability to modify it without publishing new terms. If it is found that anything they collect does not fall under the definition of "telemetry", they would be doing something without your permission. Until this is proven, this is nothing but paranoia to assume they must be collecting more than they say they are collecting. Even is MS published an example of the data collected, people would be saying "how can we know this is everything - what are they not showing us". There is absolutely nothing MS could do that would satisfy everyone. Its like NASA trying to prove to the skeptics that we really did go to the moon.

• Like 2

Yeah that's not gonna fly very well with hospitals and medical offices who store private patient information on their computers.

Are you aware of anything being sent to Microsoft other than telemetry data? If so, kindly share it as a lot of smaller medical facilities are already using Windows 10 Pro. If Microsoft is breaking federal law by planting code that can read patient files, even on a Bitlocker encrypted drive, then the FBI needs to get involved. Otherwise, all is well.

the good thing about it ?

can't wait for dec 24, come here and see all pupets crying again, cause their micro company can't keep xbone and azure networks up and running ..

but but but ...

:rolleyes:

As for the NSA - they don't need some fake "telemetry" apparatus to find out what's on your computer. They will get what they want anyway and you'll never know. They've had no problem getting data from previous versions of Windows and mobile devices.

Well the way I see it is this. Those of you who are concerned about your privacy, the NSA and Microsoft collecting your data do have a choice:

win95desktop.png

Windows 95 is way easier to get your data from than Windows 10. The NSA doesn't need "telemetry" to get your data.

Are you aware of anything being sent to Microsoft other than telemetry data? If so, kindly share it as a lot of smaller medical facilities are already using Windows 10 Pro. If Microsoft is breaking federal law by planting code that can read patient files, even on a Bitlocker encrypted drive, then the FBI needs to get involved. Otherwise, all is well.

In order to have HIPAA certification, you have to use stronger than AES256 - those patient records are pretty secure.

• Like 2

This make Windows 8.1 with Start8 by Stardock looking very attractive again.

Windows 7 and 8/8.1 have the telemetry reporting added in an update.  I"m looking for a voat post about it.