Help me modify my Xbox One

mrchetsteadman

Hello, I love my XB1 and want to change a few things. I already have an external drive that I use for all my games, a WD Passport Ultra, but I want to actually put that INSIDE the XB1. I already know how to do it, but I'm wondering if I have to buy another drive or can I just pop my WD drive out of the case and replace it?

Also, can I find a matte black case that I can replace the housing? Thanks! And yes I know I will void my warranty if I replace the HDD but I've had it over a year anyway.

Jose_49

I don't think so. I don't know these new models, but WD is using a proprietary connector, and even if you try disassembling your current hard drive you couldn't make it fit since the connector is soldered to the drive. I had one of a friend's which somewhat died, and we tried connecting it on an external enclosure. It did not work due to the problem I'm mentioning. So I guess your best bet is to get a laptop hard drive and do the replacement yourself. 

Edited by Andrew
Tech Star

I don't think so. I don't know this new models, but WD is using a proprietary connector, and even if you try disassembling your current hard drive you couldn't make it fit since the connector is soldered to the drive. I had one of a friend's which somewhat died, and we tried connecting it on an external enclosure. It did not work due to the problem I'm mentioning. So I guess your best bet is to get a laptop hard drive and do the replacement yourself. 

Exactly. One of the few drive manufacturers that don't have their own proprietary connectors on the external HD's are Seagates. Time to buy a new drive to put into your xbone. 

• Like 1
T3X4S

Also, can I find a matte black case that I can replace the housing? Thanks! And yes I know I will void my warranty if I replace the HDD but I've had it over a year anyway.

Have you considered doing it yourself ?

Only reason I mention this is because I started painting some things matte black and the Krylon matte black paint is very easy to use - I tried the PlastiDip at first - but that is pretty cheap looking & next to impossible to clean

mrchetsteadman

Yeah I had 2 of them and dropped one and tried to do the same thing. I took it apart but can't remember if the connector fit or not. I'm not sure if I need a 1GB drive or 2GB drive. Right now my 2GB drive is only using 34% I think so I should be fine with a 1GB drive. Any suggestions?

Have you considered doing it yourself ?

Only reason I mention this is because I started painting some things matte black and the Krylon matte black paint is very easy to use - I tried the PlastiDip at first - but that is pretty cheap looking & next to impossible to clean

If you could point me in the direction of a tutorial I would definitely do it myself!!

T3X4S

Yeah I had 2 of them and dropped one and tried to do the same thing. I took it apart but can't remember if the connector fit or not. I'm not sure if I need a 1GB drive or 2GB drive. Right now my 2GB drive is only using 34% I think so I should be fine with a 1GB drive. Any suggestions?

If you could point me in the direction of a tutorial I would definitely do it myself!!

Well - I will gladly see if I can find an XB1 specific tut.

I started painted Yeti Ramblers for people (friends & family) and gifts for people as they are insanely popular around here.  So I have tried a couple different spray paint brands and methods - but the Krylon brand spray paint - is great.  I have ZERO experience in painting stuff with spray paint before doing this - and being an absolute novice - I found it to be really easy.

I will source some DIY painting vids (I know of a couple but they involve PastiDip) so maybe give you an idea.

The paint is only about $5.00 @ Home Depot or Lowe's, then a $4.00 can of Epoxy Clear protectant to make it a little more resiliant - and its comes out looking pretty damned professional.

Now - if you have some deeper pockets - you can always send it off to Colorware - amazing work - but not cheap.

Capture.thumb.JPG.62c0cefce40cb35127304f

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Edge on Linux, the October 2020 Update, and more games
      by Florin Bodnarescu

Another Windows 10 feature update, the arrival of Edge on Linux, as well as the beginning of testing for the Halo 4 PC port via the Insider program. You can find info about that, as well as much more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of October 18 - 24.

Edge on Linux

We begin this week with a bunch of changes surrounding the Chromium-based Edge browser. For one, the Beta channel is now on version 87, while the Dev channel has moved on to version 88. If you’re on the latter, you’re now able to take a screenshot of a webpage and add a link to it, as well as take advantage of a couple of new management policies.

If you’re running a build from the Canary channel, PWAs now support tabs, and if you’re running either a Canary of Dev build, you’re also able to reset your sync data. Staying a little longer on the subject of PWAs, there is a bug that needs highlighting, which specifically causes Office PWAs to be installed without your permission. We’re talking here about those tiles you would see in the Start menu if you didn’t have Office installed, which were simply links. Due to this bug, they are no longer pinned websites, but rather installed apps, which appear even if you have Office installed.

In a little better news, Microsoft has announced that its WebView2 component for Win32 C/C++ apps is now generally available and that the Dev channel of the browser at long last has a Linux build that testers can download.

The October 2020 Update

Unsurprisingly, we’re going to touch upon some update news this week too, with Microsoft pushing out a couple of optional updates for still-supported versions of Windows 10. These are:

May 2019 Update / November 2019 Update (1903/1909): KB4580386, build 18362.1171 / 18363.1171 – adds Meet Now to the Taskbar, fixes an issue with Xbox Game Pass whereby users weren’t able to play games they should be able to, as well as fixing a screen flashing reliability issue and addressing the issue with USB printers that causes the port to disappear after restarting. Known issue: When updating to v1903 or v1909 from any previous version, you may receive a compatibility report dialog with “What needs your attention” at the top of the error. “Continuing with the installation of Windows will remove some optional features. You may need to add them back in Settings after installation completes. Additionally, a compatibility warning might also be received when Local System accounts are blocked in a firewall from accessing the internet via HTTP. This is caused by the Windows 10 Setup Dynamic Update (DU) being unable to download the required packages. October 2018 Update (1809): KB4580390, build 17763.1554 - contains updates for an issue with the out of box experience (OOBE) that prevents the update from completing on certain devices. Known issue: After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive error “0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND.” Switching over to the upcoming version of the operating system, the October 2020 Update has been officially released, complete with a list of known issues that this time, thankfully, doesn’t have any surprises. In case you aren’t up to speed on what this feature update contains, make sure to check out our handy guide. And if you’re determined to get this update, these are the various ways you can go about obtaining it.

In terms of more update news, Microsoft released build 19042.608 to the Release Preview channel, posted a workaround for the ‘Reset this PC’ bug affecting some PCs, and added a new Group Policy that lets IT admins disable feature update blocks.

Insiders in the Dev channel were also treated to a new build of the vNext branch, namely 20241, which brought theme-aware splash screens for some of the built-in apps. In other words, no longer will you get a splash screen with your chosen accent colour, but one that’s either light grey (for the light theme) or dark grey (for the dark theme).

The build contains a fair few fixes, but is also still plagued by the bug which causes the update process to hang for extended periods of time.

Microsoft subsequently pushed out build 20241.1005, which contained no changes.

More games

This week was rather eventful on the gaming side of Microsoft too, with an Xbox Live issue preventing folks on console and Windows 10 from launching games. The problem was likely due to an authentication issue with the service, but luckily, in a little over an hour, the bug had been mitigated. In the same realm of authentication and login, though not a bug, the Java Edition of Minecraft will soon require a Microsoft account.

On the subject of other first-party Microsoft titles, the Flight Simulator VR beta inches closer, Halo 4 Insider testing is now live across PC and console with cross-play support, Halo: The Master Chief Collection will be optimized for Xbox Series X and S, and Doom Eternal’s The Ancient Gods – Part One standalone expansion is now available.

Speaking of expansions, the list of games with Xbox touch controls for cloud gaming via Game Pass Ultimate has been expanded by 10 – including Killer Instinct, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, and Tell Me Why -, while the Xbox app has had its feature set expanded with support for remote play on iOS and Android.

In terms of games to pick up, there are currently Deals with Gold in place for a number of Fallout games, Destiny 2, Madden NFL 21, Need for Speed, and more. In case existing games aren’t what you’re looking for, but rather new games, here’s a handy list of Xbox One games launching next week, and here’s a brand-new wireless gaming headset from Corsair, which has just been announced. The $149.99 pair will be compatible with Windows 10 PCs, Xbox One, Series X, and Series S.

Dev channel
      Microsoft is the most imitated brand by hackers, per new report The all-digital CES 2021 event will be powered by Microsoft’s cloud tech Outlook for iPadOS now lets you drag and drop files in split view Teams now integrates with Zoho Notebook Teams on iOS now supports Caller ID, spelling suggestions, and more The Microsoft Remote Desktop app for iOS has gotten a number of fixes and improvements in its latest update Microsoft Forms is now available for personal users The Redmond giant has disabled 94% of Trickbot’s critical operational infrastructure Honeywell and Microsoft have announced a collaboration centered on Azure and Dynamics 365 Microsoft, Nvidia, IBM, and more have partnered to release Adversarial ML Threat Matrix Windows 10 Team 2020 Update will be available for Surface Hub 2S next week The Surface Duo is now $200 off at the Microsoft Store Logging off
      We end with a look at what Microsoft thinks cloud computing and the datacenter are going.

Following its experiments with submerged datacenters via Project Natick, the Redmond giant has perfected its modular approach to building datacenters, so much so that these are now essentially available in a box. Mind you, this is a rather big box, but the Azure Modular Datacenter (MDC) is designed for high-intensity secure cloud computing in environments where power and building infrastructure are unreliable.

And if you thought remote locations are the only places the company is looking at, you’d be partially right. Microsoft is in fact looking at space itself as the newest place to expand its datacenter reach. Via the newly-announced Azure Space, the firm wants to make space connectivity and computing across industries.

Finally, still on the subject of remote, but this time remote work, Microsoft will let employees continue to work from home until July 2021.

Missed any of the previous columns? Be sure to have a look right here.

• By Asher Madan
      You can earn these Destiny 2: Trials of Osiris rewards from October 23 to 27
      by Asher Madan

Every week, Destiny 2 hosts a Trials of Osiris event where teams of three compete for access to The Lighthouse. The Lighthouse promises Pinnacle rewards that boost you closer to the current Power Level cap.

The player vs. player competition also grants other items if you get three, five, or seven wins. However, you'll have to get seven wins in a row, without a loss, if you want to grab the Pinnacle gear from The Lighthouse. You can take a look at the Trials of Osiris rewards from October 23 to 27 below.

Three wins: The Scholar legendary scout rifle Five wins: Exile's Curse legendary fusion rifle Seven wins: Mark of the Exile legendary armor Flawless: Legs of the Exile legendary armor Trials of Osiris starts at 1 PM EDT on Friday and lasts until 1 PM EDT on Tuesday. You can use the Passage of Mercy from Saint-14 because it forgives one loss if you're aiming for Flawless. If you manage to get seven wins in a row, you'll have to manually select The Lighthouse location displayed in the Crucible menu to obtain the Pinnacle reward. This involves jumping across a few platforms and opening the chest where Saint-14 and Osiris are standing.

• By Abhay V
      Xbox Live issue preventing Xbox One and Windows 10 users from launching their games [Update]
      by Abhay Venkatesh

If you were looking to play some games today, heading into the weekend, and fired up a game on your Xbox One or Windows 10 PC only to find that you are unable to access it, you’re not alone. Xbox Support just acknowledged on Twitter that it is aware of an issue with users being unable to access games due to some issues with Xbox Live. The company is actively investigating the issue.

Depending on some users’ reports on Twitter, it looks like trying to launch games returns a "The person who bought this needs to sign in" message, which likely is due to some authentication issues with Xbox Live. The status page for the service notes that there are issues with ‘Purchase and Content Usage’ that affects launching games or apps. The problem is affecting Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. There is no word on a possible ETA for the restoration of the service.

Those interested can keep an eye on Twitter or the Xbox Live Status page for updates for more information. Additionally, you can also choose to request for a notification by signing in on the status page and having the site send an Xbox Live notification or text message.

Update 1: The support account has posted an update on Twitter noting that users should now be able to access their games. However, the status page still notes problems with buying "downloadable" items and launching games.

Update 2: The Xbox Live Status page has also been updated to reflect that all the issues have been fixed.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 20241.1005 without any changes
      by Rich Woods

Two days after Microsoft released Windows 10 Insider Preview build 20241 to the Dev channel, it's releasing a cumulative update. The new build number is 20241.1005, and according to Microsoft, it's sole reason for existence is to test the servicing pipelines. According to the blog post, there are no fixes.

This is the third cumulative update in the Dev channel in less than two weeks, and all of them have been simply to test the servicing pipeline. This is a normal practice, of course, because Microsoft does have to be able to service its updates. It doesn't seem like something that would be quite as necessary in the Dev channel, being that the Dev channel is strictly for the rs_prerelease branch.

Of course, this could also mean that the firm is prepping a version for the Beta channel. While the Dev channel isn't tied to a specific release, the Beta channel is. Being that the Windows 10 October 2020 Update, or version 20H2, was released earlier this week, something new should be coming to the Beta channel soon.

It's unclear what's coming though, because there have been rumors that 21H1 has been canceled in favor of the Windows 10X RTM, something that was originally supposed to happen alongside 20H2 before there were delays. It's also possible that there might still be a 21H1 update, although it could be more similar to the enablement package strategy that we've seen from 20H2 and 19H2. we should find out soon.

• By indospot
      The Surface Duo is already $200 off at the Microsoft Store
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft's highly-anticipated dual-screen Android phone finally released last month, and much to the dismay of some fans, it came with a high $1,399 price tag. That can be a bit hard to swallow considering the phone is using some less than stellar internals, like a Snapdragon 855 chipset without 5G support and just 6GB of RAM.

If you've been holding out for a deal on the Surface Duo, today might be your day. Over on the Microsoft Store, the Surface Duo is on sale for $200 below its usual price, which means it now starts at slightly more reasonable $1,199 for the 128GB model. The 256GB variant is also discounted to by $200, so it costs $1,399.

In addition to the Snapdragon 855 chipset and 6GB of RAM, the specs of the Surface Duo include a 3,577mAh battery and a single 11MP camera that serves as both a rear- and front-facing camera depending on the device's posture. Evidently, it has two 5.6-inch AMOLED screens with Surface Pen support, and they add up to an 8.1-inch display in the typical 3:2 aspect ratio of Surface devices. The Surface Duo is a very thin device, with each half being just 4.8mm thin.

You can buy the Surface Duo from the Microsoft Store here. Best Buy also has a $200 discount on the phone without activation.