Official Religion Thread III

+FloatingFatMan    13,177

my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TRGApostle/feed?view_as=public

I finished taking 2 classes, Ot and NT surveys. i know I'm better equipped to answer questions that people have in the arena of the Christian faith. I'm not here to push anything on anyone or be harassing. this is simply a post to inform others that I'm equipped to create and teach ministry and deal with issues of doctrine of both testaments of the bible.

If you do NOT believe, that's fine, I'm not here to push anyone in this area. you can keep up with my videos at the above link and keep that link to keep up with new videos. I'm not into a huge production but the meat of the word.

I hope I can do something meaningful for others and bring hope, peace and happiness to ANYONE who needs a word of kindness and hope.

I wish you all a great day and joyous lives.

~Chrisj1968

Congratulations on passing your classes.

The best place around here to answer people's questions, would be here.

• Like 1

Soldiers33    135

my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TRGApostle/feed?view_as=public

I finished taking 2 classes, Ot and NT surveys. i know I'm better equipped to answer questions that people have in the arena of the Christian faith. I'm not here to push anything on anyone or be harassing. this is simply a post to inform others that I'm equipped to create and teach ministry and deal with issues of doctrine of both testaments of the bible.

If you do NOT believe, that's fine, I'm not here to push anyone in this area. you can keep up with my videos at the above link and keep that link to keep up with new videos. I'm not into a huge production but the meat of the word.

I hope I can do something meaningful for others and bring hope, peace and happiness to ANYONE who needs a word of kindness and hope.

I wish you all a great day and joyous lives.

~Chrisj1968

So do you believe in Christ or just decided to learn it for the sake of learning something?

• Like 1

compl3x    6,252

So is this what folks do before they go off to like a seminary/ministry or Bible college? Is that your plan?

• Like 1

chrisj1968    1,415

I truly believe. My goal was to achieve a higher level of wisdom and knowledge to what little i already knew.I now know how little i really knew. Quite humbling to say the least. I learned that the greatest mistake is pastors mis-interpretation of scriptures because they fail to understand the contexts or reading prior chapters to understand who the author was addressing, then apply the lesson to people of today.

• Like 1

chrisj1968    1,415

I am doing this of my own will and desire. For personal betterment.

• Like 3

shine_victim    2

And why not Chris?  Congrats on you!

I am too ignorant about anything to do with religion to believe or non-believe any of it.  I just want to be kind to people and people to be kind to others!

I do have one problem with "churchies" however!  STOP PARKING ON THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINES BESIDE YOUR CHURCHES!  :)

ichi    351

World?s first Anti Shia Alliance convention results in calls for violence and sectarian purging

The comments on that site are priceless.

They look like wowbabble from some wowforum: Shia got nerfed and fanboys threat each other with magic spells.

They look like wowbabble from some wowforum: Shia got nerfed and fanboys threat each other with magic spells.

The slight difference here is that these maniacs DO slice each others throats and blow people into chunks...

chrisj1968    1,415

I learned something, which is a usually sensitive subject. Christians seem hostile towards sinners. But within my studies, Jesus sat and ate with sinners. The jewish religious leaders questions as to why he ate with sinners. It appears to me that, Jesus simply put, loved the person and was against the evil we do. Jesus reached out to touch their lives in hopes of changing the person. Matthew, the tax collector was probably seen as the worst of all people because as we all know tax collectors of people of terrible reputation.

He was a prime candidate since GOd wants all peoples that no one wants or in other words, he will utilize people who society casts aside. We as Christians are not to judge. we can instruct as to matters but there is an appointed time for judgement

1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

Jesus was a prime example of how who professed christians should act. We should care about the person but NOT delve into the sins of others. But in a non judgemental way.

Christians are sinners too. sin is like a character flaw, if that is a good way of looking at it. Because it propagated from Adam through the generations. So even Christians have no room to judge because of 1st john chapters 1 and 2.

1st John 1:5-10

Walking in the Light

5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

emphasis mine. So Christians are sinners too because we have the same ingrained sin as everyone else but we are told to NOT judge because we sin as well. If a Christian sins and say we don't sin, we are liars

We can get terribly zealous. to the point that we do more harm than good. we are to reach out to others but not everyone will believe. I have found that, people watch me once they realize that I'm a christian. some will some won't but, more times then not, successful christians can attract people to Christ by allowing people to see a change in their lives, the way they act, talk and how they live. ramming it down peoples throat isn't the way to do it. Jesus's reputation alone earned him fame, healing the sick, casting out demons and such but also how he took genuine pity and compassion on everyone: Jew and gentile.

So i can basically sum this up that while speaking to people about Christ on the one hand is fine and dandy, but walking the walk proves whether I am and that can sink or swim my success. not everyone believes in GOD. Not everyone believes in Jesus, I know this, accept that persons right to free tought and I'd let them be. not harass them and ram it down their throat.

Love conquers all. we are to be examples and mimic Christ through love and charity, hope.

• Like 3

chrisj1968    1,415

So is this what folks do before they go off to like a seminary/ministry or Bible college? Is that your plan?

no. I'm just doing this of my own desire. 

Hum    6,929

praise Buddah

• Like 1

Draconian Guppy    12,427

I learned something, which is a usually sensitive subject. Christians seem hostile towards sinners. But within my studies, Jesus sat and ate with sinners. The jewish religious leaders questions as to why he ate with sinners. It appears to me that, Jesus simply put, loved the person and was against the evil we do. Jesus reached out to touch their lives in hopes of changing the person. Matthew, the tax collector was probably seen as the worst of all people because as we all know tax collectors of people of terrible reputation.

He was a prime candidate since GOd wants all peoples that no one wants or in other words, he will utilize people who society casts aside. We as Christians are not to judge. we can instruct as to matters but there is an appointed time for judgement

Jesus was a prime example of how who professed christians should act. We should care about the person but NOT delve into the sins of others. But in a non judgemental way.

Christians are sinners too. sin is like a character flaw, if that is a good way of looking at it. Because it propagated from Adam through the generations. So even Christians have no room to judge because of 1st john chapters 1 and 2.

emphasis mine. So Christians are sinners too because we have the same ingrained sin as everyone else but we are told to NOT judge because we sin as well. If a Christian sins and say we don't sin, we are liars

We can get terribly zealous. to the point that we do more harm than good. we are to reach out to others but not everyone will believe. I have found that, people watch me once they realize that I'm a christian. some will some won't but, more times then not, successful christians can attract people to Christ by allowing people to see a change in their lives, the way they act, talk and how they live. ramming it down peoples throat isn't the way to do it. Jesus's reputation alone earned him fame, healing the sick, casting out demons and such but also how he took genuine pity and compassion on everyone: Jew and gentile.

So i can basically sum this up that while speaking to people about Christ on the one hand is fine and dandy, but walking the walk proves whether I am and that can sink or swim my success. not everyone believes in GOD. Not everyone believes in Jesus, I know this, accept that persons right to free tought and I'd let them be. not harass them and ram it down their throat.

Love conquers all. we are to be examples and mimic Christ through love and charity, hope.

Like that bold part

thejohnnyq    50

That's cool. What would you suggest as an up-to-date, accurate yet pleasant to read English translation?

.  NRSV or RASV or NABV are good.  I also like the Holman Christian.  My wife uses the New Living Translation.    These all have been re-done and updated from the Greek and not Kings James.   They contain less translation errors or issues.

ichi    351

The slight difference here is that these maniacs DO slice each others throats and blow people into chunks...

Yeah, they should create a World Of Muslim MMORPG and deal with their stuff in there.

• Like 1

compl3x    6,252

Yeah, they should create a World Of Muslim MMORPG and deal with their stuff in there.

Why trade real blood and guts for imaginary blood and guts?

ichi    351

Why trade real blood and guts for imaginary blood and guts?

I don't think the quran specifies that infidel's beheading should be done in actual real life :p

compl3x    6,252

I don't think the quran specifies that infidel's beheading should be done in actual real life :p

I'm sure they'd insist on it. :p

anthdci    127

I have been asked to be a god parent and I don't quite know what to feel about it.

To set the scene. I am a strong atheist, I don't like the idea of religion and think it is harmful in pretty much every sense. I was brought up as a catholic, went through catholic schools etc. My fiance's brother has just had a baby, he, nor his fiance are particularly religious so I don't really know why they want the baby baptized, but they are having it done anyway. My when I was asked they said they know I'm not religious but they like that they know if anything was to happen then I would be there to look after the baby. I would obviously look after him with or without this stupid ceremony, but I felt it rude to say no on religious grounds, to me the event is just saying words that have zero meaning.

On one side it is a meaningless ceremony with a party afterwards, on the other side I am being hypocritical by agreeing to it.

It's quite confusing what to think, I don't want to be told what to think, but I know there are other atheists who frequent this thread (or even other religions even, if your muslim, for example,) how would you feel about being part of it? 

I have been asked to be a god parent and I don't quite know what to feel about it.

To set the scene. I am a strong atheist, I don't like the idea of religion and think it is harmful in pretty much every sense. I was brought up as a catholic, went through catholic schools etc. My fiance's brother has just had a baby, he, nor his fiance are particularly religious so I don't really know why they want the baby baptized, but they are having it done anyway. My when I was asked they said they know I'm not religious but they like that they know if anything was to happen then I would be there to look after the baby. I would obviously look after him with or without this stupid ceremony, but I felt it rude to say no on religious grounds, to me the event is just saying words that have zero meaning.

On one side it is a meaningless ceremony with a party afterwards, on the other side I am being hypocritical by agreeing to it.

It's quite confusing what to think, I don't want to be told what to think, but I know there are other atheists who frequent this thread (or even other religions even, if your muslim, for example,) how would you feel about being part of it? 

Traditionally, being a god parent meant taking on some responsibilities towards the religious upbringing of the child.  However, this is something that's very much relegated to the past these days, at least in the UK.  Nowadays, it's generally considered more an honorary title, like a close friend being called Uncle or Aunt.  If the parents are non-religious, that's probably how they see it.

I'm an atheist, but I'm also a god parent too.  It doesn't really mean a lot to be honest, and to me, certainly has zero religious aspects.  A present at Christmas and birthdays, some babysitting from time to time... that's about it...  Depends on how close you are with the parents really!

Tobias Brown    1

I think our beliefs should be challenged - in order for us to gain more awareness about our culture and others - that's all their is to it imo

compl3x    6,252

?Madre m?a! Virgin Mary gets top cop award

SPANISH secularists  are outraged over the fact that an award for policing prowess has been awarded to a statue of the Virgin Mary.

This act of unbelievable idiocy was carried out by Interior Minister, Jorge Fern?ndez D?az, and the recipient is a statue in M?laga who, according to this report, singled out the icon to receive the gold medal of police merit ? which is normally reserved for police who have died in terrorist attacks.

Announcing the award in February, D?az lauded the Virgin and her congregation for:

Maintaining a close collaboration with police, particularly during the acts celebrated in Holy Week, and for sharing police values such as dedication, caring, solidarity and sacrifice.

Secularists are now demanding that the medal be revoked, arguing that the Virgin has failed to meet any of the minimum requirements, and they are going to court to fight the award.

Said Francisco Delgado, of Secular Europe.

The norm specifies clearly that the medal is given to people not immaterial beings. It?s meant to recognise exceptional acts of service by police.

Continue Reading

This has always been one of my sore points with Christianity.  Why should we be responsible for the sins of another, thousands of years ago?

We are all born innocent. Then suddenly, WHAM! You get baptised a few weeks after birth, and you're an instant sinner!  Better to not get baptised, stay ignorant of Christianity, and remain innocent of sin. 

• Like 3

+xrobwx    711

Congrats Chris. May your journey be blessed.

chrisj1968    1,415

This has always been one of my sore points with Christianity.  Why should we be responsible for the sins of another, thousands of years ago?

We are all born innocent. Then suddenly, WHAM! You get baptised a few weeks after birth, and you're an instant sinner!  Better to not get baptised, stay ignorant of Christianity, and remain innocent of sin. 

it isn't the baptism.. its more like zealots.

maybe this is a good way to look at it Fatman.. maybe this can help us see this eye to eye.. Paul to the church at Corinth. Paul says to worry about judging others inside the church and don't worry about others outside the church. GOD will judge them himself. Paul says we christians should worry about keeping ourselves in correct doctrine and truth and not worry about outside the church.

1 Corinthians 5:12-13

English Standard Version (ESV)
12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church[a] whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. ?Purge the evil person from among you.?
  • Like 1

Aquileo    23

That's cool. What would you suggest as an up-to-date, accurate yet pleasant to read English translation?

I'd personally recommend the English Standard Version (ESV).

Overall, it seems like the translators didn't neglect accuracy in order to make it an easier read, unlike the NLT and NIV translations.