Are birds actually clever or wat?

well ok i know most of you will consider this as spam but still im still :blink:

basically

I was alone home working upstairs while listening to music on iPod. The phone started ringing downstairs and i didn't hear it at first. But then i suddenly realised and ran down, except it was too late and i missed the call.

20 minutes later (about 5 min from now), phone started ringing again. We have 2 finches (small birds). Again, i didn't hear the phone, but i heard bird screams coming from downstairs (sounds a bit like a creaking chair or something). I took off the earphones, and realised the phone was ringing but this time the finches were screaming at the top of their voices. As soon as i started running down the stairs again, they stopped. I managed to get the call this time.

What amazes me is i could swear they were calling me! the way it pierced through the music, and also the way it stopped as soon as i made noise meaning i was coming downstairs. All this coming from animals with a brain the size of a peanut (a small one). I thought all birds thought about was food and drink, are they actually conscious beings?? How did they realise I couldn't hear the phone? :blink:

ok sorry if you don't like this thread i didn't sleep much for the past week might have to do with that

still...

what do you think?

every animal is concious and have feelings too. if you think just by them running on instinct that they are not smart, remember that humans run on instinct also. our instincts are more subconsience then other animals but we do have them.

the birds were probably just screaming about the phone constantly ringing, it's not a very nice noise if you hear it ring repeatedly because someone is not picking it up. as for when they stopped when they heard other noise, it could either be they are use to hearing that noise and right afterwards the phone ring stop, or they heard the new noise and tried to listen to that.

ah k i feel stupid now lol

well technically they didn't stop when they heard a noise they stopped when they saw me run past to get the phone. Not that it matters.

nah that's programmed in their brain (but they need to follow an older bird for the first time round though).

The thing that surprised me was that they actually showed non-survival-related intelligence.. ah well i suppose they actually are intelligent then.

my cockatail makes the same exact sound as our phone.. the single ring, and the double ring.. with the exact intervals between rings. its funny because people who come over say stuff like "are you gonna answer that?" and i tell them.. "its my bird"

its funny because people who come over say stuff like "are you gonna answer that?" and i tell them.. "its my bird"

:laugh: That's pretty good.

Birds are pretty clever. So, no, this isn't that bizarre of a thread. ;)

Birds are smart... Crows can actually count, and Parrots can not only mimic human speech, but can count, distiguish colors, and even sometimes hold short conversations (although they have to know how to say the words first, it IS possible)

Birds are sound sensitive, overall, especially since it's such a large part of their communication (they "chirp" more than most animals make other vocalizations). Ringing phone tends to hit their normal frequencies of communication (even if just via overtones), so they react. You could probably blow a whistle and get a response from them.

As soon as they get rumblings of something approaching them (and especially a visual of something coming by them to do goodness knows what), it's pretty normal they'll shut up to minimize attention until they know what they're dealing with.

It's all their evolved survival -- communicate with sounds in the normal frequencies of communication when they occur, shut up if signs of something potentially threatening is coming by.

I have also learned that Birds know to fly south becuase of the magnetic field, almost like a built in compass...

I personally don't know how that works (not a biologist, more of a physicist ;)) but apparently it's true...

Makes you wonder...

Birds are very intelligent. I look after a great many of them. I have a family of magpies that sit on my doorstep each day singing to me until I come out to feed them. :)

phat!

dude, just think there are birds that can speak some english (a few words) and that can live longer than man. birds are really intelligent.

you see the amazing things about birds is they dont pee!!! TRUE!!! they poo and pee at the same time!!!! ITS TRUE!!! so their pee is in their poo.... :wisdom:

ROFL. that is sig worthy.

i heard the can have little birdie sex so they must be smart

Heh... they might live in trees, but they sure as hell don't grow on trees :)

crows not only can count, they can be taught to speak, and problem solve

there was an article i saw a while ago about a crow that had 3 pieces of wire and a piece of food in the bottom of a jar or something, and it bent the wire together to get the food, quite interesting

nah that's programmed in their brain (but they need to follow an older bird for the first time round though).

The thing that surprised me was that they actually showed non-survival-related intelligence.. ah well i suppose they actually are intelligent then.

maybe 5 more minutes of that damned ringing woulda exploded their brains?