Windows 10 LTSB 1511 ISO

Using the LTSB makes perfect sense if you're not going to be deploying modern Apps & have no use for them. Also if you're going to want a stable base for a number of years.

To people suggesting the use of WSUS to defer the upgrades for current versions of 10 (10240), that's only going to be practical for as long as the previous build is supported for, eventually you will have to upgrade to the latest build regardless because whether you like it or not, each new build of Windows 10 should be treated as a completely different operating system, they receive the own updates etc.

LTSB is yet another build of Windows 10 which has a separate update path. If you're not going to be doing frequent upgrades, then just use this to save issue with your deployment later on. LTSB is separate product in WSUS.

I don't think anyone is disputing installing updates. However you simply cannot keep upgrading the OS version every time a new build comes out, most of it is done in the pre-boot environment as it's just an in place upgrade, it can lead to machines being unavailable for hours. This is why they have different versions available for different usage scenarios.

The thing which must be disputed are the recommendations of just using WSUS to keep 10240 updated indefinitely. I just do not think that this is a good solution. It's not going to be receiving updates for a long time. I find it amazing that Microsoft have created more work for themselves really. They're currently updating not only 8.0 & 8.1 but also 10 10240 & the current version. 

I don't think anyone is disputing installing updates. However you simply cannot keep upgrading the OS version every time a new build comes out, most of it is done in the pre-boot environment as it's just an in place upgrade, it can lead to machines being unavailable for hours. This is why they have different versions available for different usage scenarios.

The thing which must be disputed are the recommendations of just using WSUS to keep 10240 updated indefinitely. I just do not think that this is a good solution. It's not going to be receiving updates for a long time. I find it amazing that Microsoft have created more work for themselves really. They're currently updating not only 8.0 & 8.1 but also 10 10240 & the current version. 

I agree.  It is a mess.  Employee computers should not be performing upgrades.  That is why I wanted to jump on 1511 since we are just now starting to roll out Windows 10.  Since it is not possible, I will just use the RTM version.  I have no idea why they though update 1511 should be an upgrade instead of a big update.  

Windows 10 LTSB is awesome and the best Windows 10 build for every day use because it is pure desktop build. Be assure that Microsoft will still push updates on it but it won't comes as 1511 or Redstone package, but rather only updates which matter. Think of Windows 10 LTSB as Windows 7 when it comes to update. There will be some type of Service Pack for it but it is few years out.

Windows 10 LTSB is awesome and the best Windows 10 build for every day use because it is pure desktop build. Be assure that Microsoft will still push updates on it but it won't comes as 1511 or Redstone package, but rather only updates which matter. Think of Windows 10 LTSB as Windows 7 when it comes to update. There will be some type of Service Pack for it but it is few years out.

The LTSB branch is only Enterprise. It would be extremely expensive for the average user.

Lol@ltsb thing. Never heard of that edition of windows, must be new.

The LTSB branch is only Enterprise. It would be extremely expensive for the average user.

If you have MSDN subscription you can download it but yes for average user it would be extremely expensive.

It's mainly targeted towards machines that are business critical, ie machinery controls. 

I wouldn't really recommend deploying it office wide, but meh each to their own. 

The 2 customers (companies) I've had done a Windows 10 roll out haven't had any issues with Edge, or modern apps. We just use GPOs and create a half decent mandatory profile that strips the temptation away. The smart users typically use their work PC for work, because they know when they're down a machine, they can't work lol. 

Ton of customers on 8.1, no issues there either. Happily living without a start menu. However, 7 is still the defacto for most roll outs. Suspect it'll change in the next 12 months. 

I hadn't heard of Windows 10 LTSB until I'd read this thread. We are considering testing Windows 10 on our school network in the near future and it appears that the LTSB branch may be the best option for us. Despite the fact that there is Windows 10 Education available, we are here wondering what the support would be like for the education version. Worldwide, it would have must less usage and there could potentially be Education-specific issues that crop up...and because of the low usage...issues may not be resolved quickly, or at all. Going down the LTSB branch would provide us with a much more supported version, plus cut out certain bits that we simply will never need...such as Cortana, Modern apps, store, Edge etc.

If you have MSDN subscription you can download it but yes for average user it would be extremely expensive.

Yes, but you can't use it for production environments. MSDN licenses are only for development and testing and it starts at $1200 for full benefits.

You'd still need an enterprise volume license for deployment.

I hadn't heard of Windows 10 LTSB until I'd read this thread. We are considering testing Windows 10 on our school network in the near future and it appears that the LTSB branch may be the best option for us. Despite the fact that there is Windows 10 Education available, we are here wondering what the support would be like for the education version. Worldwide, it would have must less usage and there could potentially be Education-specific issues that crop up...and because of the low usage...issues may not be resolved quickly, or at all. Going down the LTSB branch would provide us with a much more supported version, plus cut out certain bits that we simply will never need...such as Cortana, Modern apps, store, Edge etc.

Education Edition is just the Enterprise Edition with a different license and, but has all the same features.

It's mainly targeted towards machines that are business critical, ie machinery controls. 

I wouldn't really recommend deploying it office wide, but meh each to their own. 

The 2 customers (companies) I've had done a Windows 10 roll out haven't had any issues with Edge, or modern apps. We just use GPOs and create a half decent mandatory profile that strips the temptation away. The smart users typically use their work PC for work, because they know when they're down a machine, they can't work lol. 

Ton of customers on 8.1, no issues there either. Happily living without a start menu. However, 7 is still the defacto for most roll outs. Suspect it'll change in the next 12 months. 

Until your computers either become unsupported (without update 1511 installed due to deferring it longer than the supported 3-6 months), or all your computers are doing in-place upgrades that can usually take 45+ minutes.  The 1511 update took 30 minutes on my computer, and I have a 1TB SSD.  Just imagine how long it will take on a HDD.

You can't use WSUS to ignore 1511 forever.  Eventually, Windows 10 RTM will be unsupported and 1511 will be required.

LTSB is the best solution for businesses.  it will not receive upgrades for a few years.

You clearly have no idea what the LTSB branch is for, do you? First of all, there won't be a "Service Pack" for any LTSB build, second off all, LTSBs will only receive critical patches after a while, and not "only updates which matter". A lot of low-risk issues and bug fixes will be left out for more recent versions of Windows.

@OP: If you want the LTSB version of Windows 10 for your company because it doesn't have UWAs, then you have no idea either for what the LTSB branch is ment, and neither do you seam to have any knowledge of the management tools that are available for enterprises. LTSB is ment for mission-critical systems (preferable isolated from the public internet), not for work stations that do come in contact with the outside world.

A lot of non-business users use LTSB because, among other things, it doesn't install many of the default (and in some's opinion, useless) Metro programs, and in some cases it installs Win32 variants of them, such as LTSB featuring the Win32 version of Calculator. 

So many of these users are probably not aware of the Long Term Servicing branch and its differences between that and the Current Branch and Current Branch for Business. Certainly understandable since these users are often not IT professionals. 

I've seen non-business users promoting it on Reddit, enthusiast forums, etc. And given the dislike of Metro by some people, its understandable why. 

I know a few people who use LTSB specifically for the fact that it has minimal updates and who are not business users and are using it for personal use, but they are certainly in a tiny minority amongst general non-business LTSB users. 

A lot of non-business users use LTSB because, among other things, it doesn't install many of the default (and in some's opinion, useless) Metro programs, and in some cases it installs Win32 variants of them, such as LTSB featuring the Win32 version of Calculator. 

So many of these users are probably not aware of the Long Term Servicing branch and its differences between that and the Current Branch and Current Branch for Business. Certainly understandable since these users are often not IT professionals. 

I've seen non-business users promoting it on Reddit, enthusiast forums, etc. And given the dislike of Metro by some people, its understandable why. 

I know a few people who use LTSB specifically for the fact that it has minimal updates and who are not business users and are using it for personal use, but they are certainly in a tiny minority amongst general non-business LTSB users. 

LTSB is priced out of the market for most consumers. That's the problem with promoting it. 

LTSB is priced out of the market for most consumers. That's the problem with promoting it. 

That's what I'm trying to say. There is no way most individuals are paying for a volume enterprise license just to avoid modern apps.

That's what I'm trying to say. There is no way most individuals are paying for a volume enterprise license just to avoid modern apps.

I know, I was just reiterating it to the person I quoted. 

You clearly have no idea what the LTSB branch is for, do you? First of all, there won't be a "Service Pack" for any LTSB build, second off all, LTSBs will only receive critical patches after a while, and not "only updates which matter". A lot of low-risk issues and bug fixes will be left out for more recent versions of Windows.

@OP: If you want the LTSB version of Windows 10 for your company because it doesn't have UWAs, then you have no idea either for what the LTSB branch is ment, and neither do you seam to have any knowledge of the management tools that are available for enterprises. LTSB is ment for mission-critical systems (preferable isolated from the public internet), not for work stations that do come in contact with the outside world.

I have all my machines running Windows 10 LTSB and it is problem free, no a single error in even viewer unlike with Pro or Enterprise.

I have all my machines running Windows 10 LTSB and it is problem free, no a single error in even viewer unlike with Pro or Enterprise.

Its the same OS LOL. 

Until your computers either become unsupported (without update 1511 installed due to deferring it longer than the supported 3-6 months), or all your computers are doing in-place upgrades that can usually take 45+ minutes.  The 1511 update took 30 minutes on my computer, and I have a 1TB SSD.  Just imagine how long it will take on a HDD.

You can't use WSUS to ignore 1511 forever.  Eventually, Windows 10 RTM will be unsupported and 1511 will be required.

LTSB is the best solution for businesses.  it will not receive upgrades for a few years.

It's called you schedule updates to happen when the users aren't there... There are other ways to update Windows without using WSUS.

For instance, I manage hundreds of servers, and thousands of endpoints (workstations) with Kaseya. We have policies for each company we manage, and they can choose when to install updates. Typically the client will ask for this to be done during the night, so we just instruct users to keep their PCs on and they update over night.

Planning and preparation also helps. 

So how long can I defer upgrades then with the normal enterprise version?  My business has absolutely NO....ZERO.....ZILCH need for any modern apps or the store.  How can I prevent systems from "upgrading" for years?

I have no idea of the management tools?  Really?  So I can use WSUS to stop the 1511 upgrade forever and still get the other updates?  I thought that was what LTSB was for.  I thought Enterprise NEEDED the 1511 upgrade in 4-6 months.

How hard is it for you guys to understand.  There is NO WAY that our systems should EVER perform upgrades.  They should absolutely NEVER do in-place upgrades.  I generate new system images every year or two and push them out.  And use WSUS to approve updates as they arrive.  I cannot defer (from what I read from everywhere) the 1511 update for a couple of years (LTSB is said to be able to defer upgrades for 10 years).  I read you can only defer it for several months.  So no, I cannot just use "management tools" to do this, as I cannot defer the 1511 upgrade forever like I can with LTSB.

Also the fact that we do not need Edge or any of the modern apps, LTSB is the best solution.  Why have all of that stuff installed and disable it when I can use LTSB and not have to deal with it?  And, removing the apps from the system with Powershell are brought back with 1511 and the defaults are reset.  I could use AppLocker, but what is the point?  There is NO department that needs ANY of these things.

This would have been really easy if 1511 was just a big update instead of an upgrade.

Edited by xWhiplash