• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 LTSB 1511 ISO

Recommended Posts

xWhiplash    349
26 minutes ago, Studio384 said:

It is poor planning if you can't get around with such updates. Because, again, the LTSB branch is ment for mission critical systems and doesn't receive updates like normal versions of Windows do. You'll only receive important security updates. No bug fixes at all. And that can become a problem for other software real fast. If you don't need those features, than just ignore them, but don't push a system on your users that isn't made for them.

but don't push a system on your users that isn't made for them

 

But it is fine to push Cortana, Edge, and the apps?  It is fine to push 1511 and future upgrades when they will not even benefit from them?

 

So when did "discussing potential issues" turn into poor planning?  That is the right way to plan.  Enterprise gives us nothing but issues.  LTSB only gives us one issue, the "Contact Support" app.  We use Office 2010/2013 and Adobe Reader/Creative Suite.  That is all.

 

Also, that is false.

 

Quote

The LTSB is similar to how versions are delivered today with a new one delivered every couple of years and in between each new version Microsoft will provide security updates, bug fixes and so on. Alternatively, customers can choose to use the CB method which provides security updates, bug fixes, and new features every few months.

And this is what we want.  Every couple of years a new system image will be deployed instead of having the systems do in-place upgrades every 6 months and potentially causing issues.  How is any of this "bad planning"?

Edited by xWhiplash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daedroth    492
1 minute ago, Studio384 said:

It is poor planning if you can't get around with such updates. Because, again, the LTSB branch is ment for mission critical systems and doesn't receive updates like normal versions of Windows do. You'll only receive important security updates. No bug fixes at all. And that can become a problem for other software real fast. If you don't need those features, than just ignore them, but don't push a system on your users that isn't made for them.

So you would recommend a team of two managing ~800 users and ~600 devices to be constantly testing the frequent updates from Microsoft, rather than the tried and tested way of only having to test on a major OS update or new version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xWhiplash    349
3 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

So you would recommend a team of two managing ~800 users and ~600 devices to be constantly testing the frequent updates from Microsoft, rather than the tried and tested way of only having to test on a major OS update or new version?

Exactly.  600 devices, performing in-place upgrade every 6 months.  Do you think it will all be 100% perfect and no upgrade will fail / cause issues?  And sometimes, 6 months isn't long enough to test.

 

Not only that, but the updates are useless to us.  We don't care for new features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BajiRav    2,137
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 8:58 AM, xWhiplash said:

And what is crippling about it?  We use Office 2010/2013, Adobe CS4 to CC.  That is pretty much it.

 

What is crippling to you, is stuff our office does not need.  NEVER.  We do not need the following anywhere under any circumstances:

 

  • Cortana
  • Store
  • Edge
  • Apps
  • Always the latest build

And again, we can never let systems automatically update themselves.  Therefore, LTSB is our only solution.

 

Nobody has given me a reason why it is bad.  Just saying it is a bad idea when it is not in my situation.  I have asked many times, what is in Enterprise that is not in Enterprise LTSB that our business needs?  LTSB has a lot in the pros column for us.

Store : Don't you need to deploy internal apps? (That's one of the new things in 1511).

Edge : You should probably check if EdgeHTML updates are available for LTSB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xWhiplash    349
10 minutes ago, BajiRav said:

Store : Don't you need to deploy internal apps? (That's one of the new things in 1511).

Edge : You should probably check if EdgeHTML updates are available for LTSB.

Nope, we have no need for any apps.

We can't use Edge since our internal sites won't work with it.  IE is required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daedroth    492
6 minutes ago, BajiRav said:

Edge : You should probably check if EdgeHTML updates are available for LTSB.

LTSB does not include Edge at all, so EdgeHTML updates will not be necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xWhiplash    349
13 hours ago, Daedroth said:

LTSB does not include Edge at all, so EdgeHTML updates will not be necessary.

Correct, and we have no need for Edge since our internal sites need IE anyway and we need Chrome for a few things too.

 

I am extremely shocked with all these posts.  I never thought I would see the day where discussing issues when moving to a new system is classified as "poor planning".  Give me a break.

 

Okay - now don't think here, just move your entire business to OS X.  Do not discuss any potential issues or possible solutions to them (LTSB in this case).  That is "poor planning" to discuss a move.  :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jared-    579

Build a mandatory profile that hides and locks down the temptations lol.

 

You can turn off half the stuff you don't want via GPO (or turning off the things you don't want).

 

But whatevs, over this haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xWhiplash    349
4 hours ago, Jared- said:

Build a mandatory profile that hides and locks down the temptations lol.

 

You can turn off half the stuff you don't want via GPO (or turning off the things you don't want).

 

But whatevs, over this haha. 

What about the other half?  What if I need longer than 6 months before rolling out the next upgrade?  How do I prevent in-place upgrades?

 

Why not just use LTSB if we don't need anything else?  It is really as simple as that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tralam    0

I have to say, I've been using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N for around 6 months and have not found any limitations to it as far as running various softwares. I maintain a list of 500+ silent installers and portable applications and have not found ONE that does not run on LTSB that will on Windows 7. So I'm not sure what people are so worried about when they're saying that LTSB will be on 10240 for some time. Information does seem to be scant as far as when a new version of LTSB will be released: is it 2 years or 3 or more? I think the reality is that most major software suites like MS Office, Adobe Suite, etc., still run on Windows 7, so 7, 8, 8.1, 10 LTSB... So it stands to reason it will be quite some time that major software companies wouldn't be supporting 10240 images.

 

I don't work in an IT department so I can't comment on all pros and cons as far as deploying LTSB over other editions of Win10. Someone commented that LTSB won't receive bugfixes, but I believe it receives bug- and security-fixes, just not any new features. As such, I can't see how LTSB could be limiting as far as running various softwares on it. The way I understand it any LTSB release will match the current (at time of release) CB release, and companies running CB, when they decide they no longer need or want to receive updates that frequently, can switch to LTSB.

 

So really a lot of this has to do with the change in update cycles that MS has adopted. Some of the concerns people have regarding LTSB have been true for older versions of Windows as well, and I think most of those concerns have been proven irrelevant by history. All I can say is that most if not all softwares people would be running in an office environment (unless those softwares don't support newer versions of Windows) will be running fine in LTSB, and will be for a long time to come. Just running and keeping updated images of Win10 Pro is a pain in the behind for an individual. The other day I forgot you can't upgrade in audit mode and tried to make an updated Win10 Pro image with sysprep... so I don't envy you IT guys. Which is another great thing about LTSB because you won't have that upgrade problem using sysprep.

 

Plus how mission critical can an OS be if it doesn't support all major software running on it? Also, most business owners will find that their computers functioning is pretty mission critical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xWhiplash    349
On 2/25/2016 at 1:27 PM, tralam said:

I have to say, I've been using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N for around 6 months and have not found any limitations to it as far as running various softwares. I maintain a list of 500+ silent installers and portable applications and have not found ONE that does not run on LTSB that will on Windows 7. So I'm not sure what people are so worried about when they're saying that LTSB will be on 10240 for some time. Information does seem to be scant as far as when a new version of LTSB will be released: is it 2 years or 3 or more? I think the reality is that most major software suites like MS Office, Adobe Suite, etc., still run on Windows 7, so 7, 8, 8.1, 10 LTSB... So it stands to reason it will be quite some time that major software companies wouldn't be supporting 10240 images.

 

I don't work in an IT department so I can't comment on all pros and cons as far as deploying LTSB over other editions of Win10. Someone commented that LTSB won't receive bugfixes, but I believe it receives bug- and security-fixes, just not any new features. As such, I can't see how LTSB could be limiting as far as running various softwares on it. The way I understand it any LTSB release will match the current (at time of release) CB release, and companies running CB, when they decide they no longer need or want to receive updates that frequently, can switch to LTSB.

 

So really a lot of this has to do with the change in update cycles that MS has adopted. Some of the concerns people have regarding LTSB have been true for older versions of Windows as well, and I think most of those concerns have been proven irrelevant by history. All I can say is that most if not all softwares people would be running in an office environment (unless those softwares don't support newer versions of Windows) will be running fine in LTSB, and will be for a long time to come. Just running and keeping updated images of Win10 Pro is a pain in the behind for an individual. The other day I forgot you can't upgrade in audit mode and tried to make an updated Win10 Pro image with sysprep... so I don't envy you IT guys. Which is another great thing about LTSB because you won't have that upgrade problem using sysprep.

 

Plus how mission critical can an OS be if it doesn't support all major software running on it? Also, most business owners will find that their computers functioning is pretty mission critical.

And again, in my opinion, that is what businesses should be using.  You will run into serious issues when you let systems update themselves.  Only our IT department should "upgrade" the operating systems.  Not the individual systems.  And by "upgrading", I mean formatting and reinstalling the new OS or build.  We have run into serious issues with the standard upgrades where this is an absolute no-no now.

 

LTSB acts like Windows 7 and previous versions did.  Why are people all of the sudden freaking out?

 

LTSB is better suited for businesses IMO.  Why do businesses need the XBox app?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n_K    2,698

I agree with you, go with LTSB. I don't get people saying 'yeah just use normal and block the updates using x, x and x', erm... Why? LTSB exists purely so you don't have to do this. And as for saying 'windows 10 LTSB is for mission critical systems' - shut right up, windows 10 isn't designed for mission critical anything, stop spouting complete and utter nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,551

56219748.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix    7,438
1 hour ago, n_K said:

I agree with you, go with LTSB. I don't get people saying 'yeah just use normal and block the updates using x, x and x', erm... Why? LTSB exists purely so you don't have to do this. And as for saying 'windows 10 LTSB is for mission critical systems' - shut right up, windows 10 isn't designed for mission critical anything, stop spouting complete and utter nonsense.

Could say the same for you. This is far from the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix    7,438

This whole thread is crazy. Any IT department worth their weight in gold should be deploying updates via SCCM and WSUS, these technologies still work on Windows 10. Why are you trying to install this? LTSB isn't going to much for you. Many Windows 10 features can safely be disabled via Group Policy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daedroth    492
23 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

This whole thread is crazy. Any IT department worth their weight in gold should be deploying updates via SCCM and WSUS, these technologies still work on Windows 10. Why are you trying to install this? LTSB isn't going to much for you. Many Windows 10 features can safely be disabled via Group Policy.

I work in a school, and we will be deploying LTSB when it comes to Windows 10, even though we have SCCM and WSUS. Why? Because it will save us a whole boat load of work. Even using the Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education versions, we'd have to spend ages disabling and testing all of the things that schools simply don't need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,551
16 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

I work in a school, and we will be deploying LTSB when it comes to Windows 10, even though we have SCCM and WSUS. Why? Because it will save us a whole boat load of work. Even using the Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education versions, we'd have to spend ages disabling and testing all of the things that schools simply don't need.

It shouldn't take that long.  Surely you guys wouldn't be doing each individual machine...right?

 

That said, unless Education has features wanted, LTSB is probably the better choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xWhiplash    349
2 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

This whole thread is crazy. Any IT department worth their weight in gold should be deploying updates via SCCM and WSUS, these technologies still work on Windows 10. Why are you trying to install this? LTSB isn't going to much for you. Many Windows 10 features can safely be disabled via Group Policy.

1511 is provided in WSUS.  Like I said, our environment computers should never, never EVER absolutely under any circumstance EVER upgrade in place.  If 1511 acted differently than it did, I would agree with you.  But since these new updates are actually full OS upgrades, that is a big no-no.

 

We have a WSUS server.  I cannot prevent the 1511 upgrade from happening for years and still receive support.  With LTSB, I CAN do that.

 

And again, how is this poor planning?  What if the anniversary update breaks one of our critical pieces of software that we need in our business?  We know LTSB is working, and it will be supported for years and it has STABILITY.  The anniversary update might cause things to mess up.  Which might take a year or so to fix.  You cannot guarantee that all future Windows 10 upgrades will work flawlessly.   

 

Also, I spent week trying to get apps to automatically uninstall / be blocked but it was just a massive hassle.  Why spend all that time?  Why increase costs when LTSB has all the features I need?  Just because?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ace    94
2 hours ago, Daedroth said:

I work in a school, and we will be deploying LTSB when it comes to Windows 10, even though we have SCCM and WSUS. Why? Because it will save us a whole boat load of work. Even using the Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education versions, we'd have to spend ages disabling and testing all of the things that schools simply don't need.

Can't you automate that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xWhiplash    349
1 minute ago, Ace said:

Can't you automate that?

I had the same issue.  Even following the Microsoft documentation, I could not get all apps disabled or completely removed.  I spent weeks on it.  I set up a GPO.  What DID work was removing it from the installation media.  GREAT!  But guess what?  1511 brought the apps back and reset all application defaults.  It also removed the anti virus on the test machine and removed RSAT on my machine.

 

Disabling stuff and testing still requires a lot of work, even with automation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bombadilio    0

I can say with 10000% certainty that the NVIDIA 1080 GPu will not work on Windows 10 LTSB (build 10240) with or without driver signature mode being on or off.

I was on the phone with EVGA and it seems that Microsoft will only fix this issue if we write on their website / call them and complain. 

The only solution is to use Windows 7 or update Windows 10 LTSB to something else. Its really sad since the 1080 will only work with 1511 and above.

Anyone find a work around? It is crazy that we have school computers that need to teach 4k / VR and we are unable to do so since LTSB does not allow for new hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ace    94
27 minutes ago, bombadilio said:

It is crazy that we have school computers that need to teach 4k / VR and we are unable to do so since LTSB does not allow for new hardware.

Surely the solution is to switch to the Education edition of Windows 10 since that's designed specifically for schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daedroth    492
1 minute ago, Ace said:

Surely the solution is to switch to the Education edition of Windows 10 since that's designed specifically for schools.

Well no, because as discussed to death in this thread, the education version includes features that are not required or would cause issues/distractions for students. For example, we don't need Cortana, Edge or the store. Sure, there may be ways of turning those features off...but why would I want to create more work for myself when I could just use LTSB instead? With those features off, there are no benefits of using the education version over LTSB. Plus, we would have more control over updates in the future using LTSB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nekrosoft13    748
On 11/22/2015 at 0:05 PM, xWhiplash said:

 

Since we don't have Windows 10 yet, I was just wondering if it was possible to include that update right away.

there is a lot more stuff updated behind the hood as well, its not just the pretty useless junk on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xWhiplash    349

We stopped rolling out Windows 10.  It is not useful in the enterprise to constantly have to deal with this app or that app.  And according to everyone here, we shouldn't be using LTSB.  So we are just sticking with Windows 7 and will probably just jump ship to some other platform.  This is just ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.