Can someone please help me out? I installed the latest debian 8. I'm using gnome desktop. I have 2 monitors hooked up to my video card (AMD). My main ASUS monitor is hooked up with hdmi and my 2nd HP monitor is hooked up with dvi. My hdmi monitor (ASUS) is working, and it's the only thing displayed in the display settings, it show up as "unknown display" and my dvi monitor (HP) isn't even listed there. I would like to be able to use dual monitors, like i used to under ubuntu. Where can I find the correct drivers or whatever I need for these monitors? Thanks.

Can someone please help me out? I installed the latest debian 8. I'm using gnome desktop. I have 2 monitors hooked up to my video card (AMD). My main ASUS monitor is hooked up with hdmi and my 2nd HP monitor is hooked up with dvi. My hdmi monitor (ASUS) is working, and it's the only thing displayed in the display settings, it show up as "unknown display" and my dvi monitor (HP) isn't even listed there. I would like to be able to use dual monitors, like i used to under ubuntu. Where can I find the correct drivers or whatever I need for these monitors? Thanks.

Are you using the AMD-sourced binary blob?  That blob explicitly supports dual-display (as the Windows NT driver has since - don't faint - NT4); the same applies to the nVidia binary blob.  I have no idea if the nouveau driver supports dual-display, as I have not tested it.

Ubuntu is itself based on Debian; however, your driver (from your Ubuntu days) may have come from a PPA - the most popular PPAs of Ubuntu are display-related.

sorry I'm kinda new to linux drivers.  I'm just using stock display drivers from the install.  Didn't install anything extra for displays.  Is there a ppa I could add to fix this problem?

• zhangm changed the title to Debian Dual Monitor

Shouldn't matter. The drivers are supported or not supported at the OS Level -- the Desktop Environment has nothing to do with the drivers at all other than some configuration utilities that are fairly generic. Gnome-Shell "not supporting a driver" most likely means that their Resolution and Monitor Config utilities are unable to properly set screen resolutions or configure multiple monitors, and that you'll need to use the vendor's utility for those tasks, which is no problem.

Go ahead and install the proprietary drivers, and configure your setup using the vendor's utility. Should be fine. You're certainly not going to break Debian by trying it, and you can always reactivate the generic open-source driver if something goes pear-shaped.