• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Lumia 950

Dashel    542

Traded in my trusty 925 today on the 950.  I'm enjoying it so far.  Though it hasn't particularly wowed me yet considering the wait, its a solid upgrade.  I would have liked a slightly smaller option but its not much larger than the 830/640, guess I'll roll with the times.   The extra screen size does compliment the great display.  Build quality is good, if a tad lighter that I expected.   I think the 925 felt a bit more premium with the aluminum bezel and smoother backing .  The back looks good, but is let down by the average side edge and visible screen lip.  The price you pay for a non-sealed unit.

I've been surprised by how much the resolution bump is noticeable with Win10, its markedly crisper in comparison. (I found it to be grainier than 8.1 on my 925).  They unfortunately didn't have the dock in stock yet so I haven't tried Continuum.  The camera continues to be very good and the triLED flash is a welcome addition.  Its quicker to snap now too, though you have to wait a little longer 'in app' for processing.

I'm still getting used to the 'slide' up button behavior but it is nice for pictures/videos to be able to expand into that area.  I'd like to see it visible generally though and have it more of an app preference.  Iris is working well for me, though I wonder if a thumb reader would have been the safer option for the general public.  I haven't tried it with glasses yet but I do like that you can do multiple shots (I tried w and w/out a hat) to help it hash.

Lets see, what else...Rounded corners!  I think my only real complaint with the 925.

• Like 1

goretsky    1,194

Hello,

Have you tried any accessories, such as a case, screen protector or replacement backplate?  If so, how did you like those?  Have you tried pairing the device with any Bluetooth accessories such as a mouse, keyboard or headset?  Any problems noted or issues doing so?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

123456789A    4,710

I think the iris scanner works fine for most people unless you have coke bottle glasses that allow you to see the future.

LostCat    1,597

I think the iris scanner works fine for most people unless you have coke bottle glasses that allow you to see the future.

I have a prism in one lens so I'm wondering.  It'll probably still work...

I don't know when I'm getting the thing.  I should probably de-escalate instead of having higher monthly payments.

On the plus side, my car just died so...gas is cheap!

Dashel    542

Have you tried any accessories, such as a case, screen protector or replacement backplate?  If so, how did you like those?  Have you tried pairing the device with any Bluetooth accessories such as a mouse, keyboard or headset?  Any problems noted or issues doing so?

I don't use protection personally but I did see a few good backplate replacements (one is almost a pure rip of the LG leather).  No pairing issues to note on my MS Band, AV receiver, or car (Ford Sync).  I'll test keyboard/mouse once I get the dock.

Several of the online reviews, particulars the Ars one, really dinged it for people who wear glasses - but I haven't tried yet to see how my mileage goes.  The real test will be when I'm driving at night I'd say.

Gas is cheap, go crazy! :) I do still think that slightly more aggressive pricing was in order, $500/550 would have been a better than putting it within $50 of the iPhone.  I was impressed that it had prime placement in store and good signage, though the staff member thought it was the 640 :roll:

• Like 1