Anyone have the Windows 10 November update uninstall any of your programs?

6 minutes ago, xWhiplash said:

It won't crash during an update.  I can install Photoshop 5 on Windows 8 with some tweaks.  It is not officially compatible, but it will not crash the OS.

How do you know it will not crash an update? I wasnt talking about the app crashing during an update, I was talking about the app being there causing the update to crash. 

What was irritating, they removed RSAT before updated ones were released.  So I just re-installed the ones I had already and they worked PERFECTLY fine.  No issues.  Why remove it?

Why would an app cause an update to crash?  It would be the other way around.  The update will update components that the app cannot use.  The App would crash, not the OS because it would update the components it needs to.

2 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

Huh? Even "small" OS upgrades can break compatibility, depending on what's being updated. There have been numerous times even installing a service pack broke compatibility.

Not surprised you are defending Microsoft.  Forced updates breaking/uninstalling well known/used programs should not occur without a forewarning.  Before 7 SP1 Microsoft stated that Ninja Trader (among various other programs) was not compatible or would have decreased functionality.  Face it, the current Windows 10 Update is broken and not user friendly.  This is one area I hope Microsoft reverses course...more than anything else (even though I dislike the current Start Menu).

13 minutes ago, Javik said:

If programs are going to be removed, the user should be notified and given the option to defer the update. Just installing an update and removing people's apps is a pretty cack handed way to handle updating.

^this

...and why CPU-Z ?  Does it install any other files anywhere else?  I thought it was just an .exe, a .ini and the uninstall .dat/.exe file.  Why would this program cause any installation issues for th2?  Just odd and makes me think something is broken with 10's update.  What's next...putty?

5 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Not surprised you are defending Microsoft.  Forced updates breaking/uninstalling well known/used programs should not occur without a forewarning.  Before 7 SP1 Microsoft stated that Ninja Trader (among various other programs) was not compatible or would have decreased functionality.  Face it, the current Windows 10 Update is broken and not user friendly.  This is one area I hope Microsoft reverses course...more than anything else (even though I dislike the current Start Menu).

^this

...and why CPU-Z ?  Does it install any other files anywhere else?  I thought it was just an .exe, a .ini and the uninstall .dat/.exe file.  Why would this program cause any installation issues for th2?  Just odd and makes me think something is broken with 10's update.  What's next...putty?

Huh? You just reinforced what I said. I'm not debating warning users, I'm debating upgrades. They break things all the time. It's nothing new.

I received an email this morning from a customer that just went through the upgrade to Windows 10 process. Ccleaner, which has survived all the upgrades I've done was gone, I emailed back a direct download link for ccleaner 5.12. Haven't heard back since.

On a different machine, I had to revert a Gateway NV57 laptop back to Windows 7 yesterday, as the update to build 10586.14 broke the Intel HD 3000 video driver such that a black screen was all it would show after login unless hard shutdown was done several times until Windows 10 decided to let the driver work. Neither Intel nor Acer/Gateway offered a Windows 10 driver for the HD 3000, they support 2500 and 3500 though. We first installed an older Windows 7 driver which worked perfectly, set the OS in System to never update drivers and double checked the setting using third party software, and Windows 10 still undid our changes. I reported this driver replacement issue to MS just in case there are other similar issues they can address this odd bug. There are a still a few quirks that remain after applying the latest Cumulative update, such as some programs disappearing and not saving settings changes.

22 minutes ago, xWhiplash said:

What was irritating, they removed RSAT before updated ones were released.  So I just re-installed the ones I had already and they worked PERFECTLY fine.  No issues.  Why remove it?

Why would an app cause an update to crash?  It would be the other way around.  The update will update components that the app cannot use.  The App would crash, not the OS because it would update the components it needs to.

No, if the app installs drivers and registry entries on the system, when they are migrated, they can destabilize things. It happens all the time. Thats why when people have upgrade problems, many times they disappear when the install is new.

16 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

^this

CPU-Z has to be m ore than that, otherwise it wouldn't install at all and would be a simple executable you run. Which also means there would be nothing to uninstall.

Yes, I did. They may be compatible with Windows 10 "RTM", but again, when an OS updates, compatibility with the preceding build doesn't mean a thing.

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Probably because they show issues during the upgrade. What is worse, uninstalling an app you can reinstall, or crashing during an update?

CPU-Z is not going crash anything! It just installs to a folder. They offer a zip file you can use and the .exe installer is just for dumb people.

Neowin, thanks for the upgrade... The comment editor and quoting function are even worse now and I didn't think could be possible after the last version.

CCleaner was uninstalled for me when I upgraded to 10586. Can't say that I care, since I could just re-install it easily enough - but I am curious as to why that was uninstalled and not other even older apps. 

11 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

CPU-Z is not going crash anything! It just installs to a folder. They offer a zip file you can use and the .exe installer is just for dumb people.

Neowin, thanks for the upgrade... The comment editor and quoting function are even worse now and I didn't think could be possible after the last version.

Then how is it being uninstalled? From your description, it isn't installed in the first place. 

I thought CPU-Z hooked in to system/driver files? How else would it read hardware data. It's the same with ccleaner, the monitoring part of it hooks in to the system, they both work in a similar way anti virus software does.

As said before, the old way of updating where the update would fail if it found incompatible software was flawed, because people simply wouldn't update there systems.

52 minutes ago, SIE said:

I thought CPU-Z hooked in to system/driver files? How else would it read hardware data. It's the same with ccleaner, the monitoring part of it hooks in to the system, they both work in a similar way anti virus software does.

As said before, the old way of updating where the update would fail if it found incompatible software was flawed, because people simply wouldn't update there systems.

Why would that matter?  1511 will update the drivers / system files.  It would be CPU-Z or CCCleaner that would fail to start after an upgrade.  Not the other way around.

• Like 1

I don't think it uninstalled them intentionally. It sounds like the same bug that didn't move the privacy data. They should still be in Windows.old if you didn't delete it. (That's how the recent patch fixed the privacy settings - it just moved them properly.)

Huh? You just reinforced what I said. I'm not debating warning users, I'm debating upgrades. They break things all the time. It's nothing new.

We are not talking about things being broken after an update but Windows uninstalling programs for no reason. #facepalm

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Then how is it being uninstalled? From your description, it isn't installed in the first place. 

Huh? I know you are smarter then that... The .exe installer unzips the files, creates a folder, dumps the files into it, then makes a shortcut in the start menu. The uninstaller in "Programs and Features" reverses the process. I would assume if someone just unzipped the files Windows wouldn't remove it. That's the whole point of my post... Windows seems to be doing this arbitrary.

18 minutes ago, Eric said:

I don't think it uninstalled them intentionally. It sounds like the same bug that didn't move the privacy data. They should still be in Windows.old if you didn't delete it. (That's how the recent patch fixed the privacy settings - it just moved them properly.)

I think maybe you hit the nail on the head there for some issues of programs missing. In the case of my co-worker and his Bitdefender Total Security 2016, Windows said it specificity uninstalled the program.

38 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Huh? I know you are smarter then that... The .exe installer unzips the files, creates a folder, dumps the files into it, then makes a shortcut in the start menu. The uninstaller in "Programs and Features" reverses the process. I would assume if someone just unzipped the files Windows wouldn't remove it. That's the whole point of my post... Windows seems to be doing this arbitrary.

I am smarter than that. I know it adds things to the registry when you run said setup program. Otherwise there is no uninstaller registered with the system. It is not simply dropping in folders and shortcuts. 

That was the point I was trying to make and you clearly missed it. 

Did you check the app location and see if the actual executable was still there?

It seems to me that MS must have a master list of apps and their versions that it removes during upgrade, I am thinking to prevent potential upgrade issues. CCleaner was also not removed for me, but was for someone else. I'm thinking the version has something to do with that,

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:
15 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:
15 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I am smarter than that. I know it adds things to the registry when you run said setup program. Otherwise there is no uninstaller registered with the system. It is not simply dropping in folders and shortcuts. 

Did you check the app location and see if the actual executable was still there?

It seems to me that MS must have a master list of apps and their versions that it removes during upgrade, I am thinking to prevent potential upgrade issues. CCleaner was also not removed for me, but was for someone else. I'm thinking the version has something to do with that,

Huh? I know you are smarter then that... The installer unzips the files, creates a folder, dumps the files into it, then makes a shortcut in the start menu. The uninstaller in "Programs and Features" reverses the process. That's the whole point of my post... Windows seems to be doing this arbitrary.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I think maybe you hit the nail on the head there for some cases. In the case of my buddy

This is what quoting is doing for me above... I can't even delete the quotes. Neowin?

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

Huh? I know you are smarter then that... The installer unzips the files, creates a folder, dumps the files into it, then makes a shortcut in the start menu. The uninstaller in "Programs and Features" reverses the process. That's the whole point of my post... Windows seems to be doing this arbitrary.

I think maybe you hit the nail on the head there for some cases. In the case of my buddy

The forum seems to have eaten your reply.

10 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

The forum seems to have eaten your reply.

This quote worked... I didn't miss anything and you still haven't come up with a reason Windows would be uninstalling something like CPU-Z.

I don't have CPU-Z installed or had anything uninstalled updating to the November release.  I am only going by my co-worker's experience, the link in my OP, and now some of the comments here.

2 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

This quote worked... I didn't miss anything and you still haven't come up with a reason Windows would be uninstalling something like CPU-Z.

I don't have CPU-Z installed or had anything uninstalled updating to the November release.  I am only going by my co-worker's experience, the link in my OP, and now some of the comments here.

I'm just throwing out ideas, and I did come up with a reason, but it is a theory. Take or it or leave it, I could not care less. I am not defending MS, just expressing what I think happened.

6 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

What? Some of these programs can't be blocking the installation of Windows. CPU-Z?

I know you are the official Microsoft apologist but come on... You are saying Bitdefender Total Security 2016 is not compatible with Windows 10? CPU-Z? The issue is the Windows upgrade process... Remember we are not just talking about going from Windows 7 to 10 (that I could understand in some cases) but also just installing the November update. All the OS needs to do is give the user a warning so-so program may not be working anymore and check with the vendor for an update.

My only "issue" was CPU-Z

Bitdefender was just fine, but it auto updates so that's why it was fine, if you or anyone else had Bitdefender "uninstalled" it was because you made the mistake of disabling updates, that's your fault, just like it was mine that CPU-Z was WAY out of date 

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

CPU-Z has to be m ore than that, otherwise it wouldn't install at all and would be a simple executable you run. Which also means there would be nothing to uninstall.

It makes a few registry entries .... those being the program location and the uninstall information (for Add/Remove Programs).  Nothing else...and certainly not something that Microsoft would need to remove for "compatibility" reasons.  The entries are as basic as any program that gets installed.  Microsoft is just messing up...simply put.

3 hours ago, SIE said:

No, it doesn't contain any drivers and it doesn't run in memory until launched.  When you close it...it closes.  When you launch it it scans the system to detect the appropriate drivers/sensors/etc to display the appropriate information.  It is not "hooked" into the system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

It makes a few registry entries .... those being the program location and the uninstall information (for Add/Remove Programs.  Nothing else...and certainly not something that Microsoft would need to remove for "compatibility" reasons.  The entries are as basic as any program that gets installed.  Microsoft is just messing up...simply put.

No, it doesn't contain any drivers and it doesn't run in resident until launched.  When you close it...it closes.  When you launch it it scans the system to detect the appropriate drivers/sensors/etc to display the appropriate information.  It is not "hooked" into the system.

Thats my point. It is probably reading the version of the app installed which is probably kept in the registry, is reading from a database showing it may not be Windows 10 compatible, and removing it to be safe. If it was just a dat, ini and exe file, it would not have been removed.

Only one person so far has admitted that their CPU-Z version was out of date. That is probably why. Should MS be more vocal about why its happening? You bet.