is the Apple Watch worth it?

Hi, I'm bringing up a topic that's all over YouTube. Is the Apple Watch worth it? Tell me what you think. 

So far NONE of the smartwatches are worth it really, ridiculous price for the Apple Watch aside, what truly unique feature do any of them have? 

That is true. The next gen smartwatches will, hopefully, be cheaper

That is true. The next gen smartwatches will, hopefully, be cheaper

But aside from some sense of "cool factor" what do they bring that's unique? That's my issue with smartwatches at the moment, there's no killer use case that makes them a must buy, like smartphones are, they are just another gadget to keep track of and charge for minimal if any purpose 

But aside from some sense of "cool factor" what do they bring that's unique? That's my issue with smartwatches at the moment, there's no killer use case that makes them a must buy, like smartphones are, they are just another gadget to keep track of and charge for minimal if any purpose 

I totally agree. About all they're useful for is seeing notifications.

While I don't own an Apple watch I do have a Moto 360, so i'll give my opinion on Smart watches in General. When I leave the house, I wear mine. I usually don't wear it around the house. When i'm walking in the cold and I get a notifcation, it is nice to look at your wrist and see it was it. One night I had my cell phone in my pocket, and a podcast in my ear using my iPod Nano 4th Gen. As I was walking along, my wrist started buzzing. I looked and it said someone was calling my cell. I didn't hear or feel it. So that was one call I would have surely missed had I not had my watch on.

The main reason I got my watch, is for when I mow my lawn. Normally, I'd stop let go of the handle (which shuts the mower off) and dig my phone out of my pocket to see if anyone has called. I'm self employed so I like to respond back to missed calls as soon as possible. I thought wouldn't it be nice, that while mowing my lawn, I could stop and just look at my wrist. So that part is nice. Plus when you are in a loud environment it alerts you of a call. Plus if I forget my phone in the house by the time I start backing out of my drive way my wrist is going nuts with a red screen with a picture of a phone with a line through it. So while the phone isn't very handy indoors it's great outdoors.

• Like 3

While I don't own an Apple watch I do have a Moto 360, so i'll give my opinion on Smart watches in General. When I leave the house, I wear mine. I usually don't wear it around the house. When i'm walking in the cold and I get a notifcation, it is nice to look at your wrist and see it was it. One night I had my cell phone in my pocket, and a podcast in my ear using my iPod Nano 4th Gen. As I was walking along, my wrist started buzzing. I looked and it said someone was calling my cell. I didn't hear or feel it. So that was one call I would have surely missed had I not had my watch on.

The main reason I got my watch, is for when I mow my lawn. Normally, I'd stop let go of the handle (which shuts the mower off) did my phone out of my pocket to see if anyone has called, i'm self employed so I like to respond back to missed calls as soon as possible. I thought wouldn't it be nice, that while mowing my lawn, I could stop and just look at my wrist. So that part is nice. Plus when you are in a loud environment it alerts you of a call. Plus if I forget my phone in the house by the time I start backing out of my drive way my wrist is going nuts with a red screen with a picture of a phone with a line through it. So while the phone isn't very handy indoors it's great outdoors.

True. But that means the smartwatch community applies to people like you, who can't pick up their phones at that moment. That's one use. 

True. But that means the smartwatch community applies to people like you, who can't pick up their phones at that moment. That's one use. 

in case people are wondering why I would have had to even check my watch and not just feel when it rang. I wasn't checking for missed Cellphone calls, but instead for missed calls in my house. The voice mail server records the caller ID info and sends me a text message. I stop and check for those.

in case people are wondering why I would have had to even check my watch and not just feel when it rang. I wasn't checking for missed Cellphone calls, but instead for missed calls in my house. The voice mail server records the caller ID info and sends me a text message. I stop and check for those.

Oh, ok

After looking around on this topic, besides the outrageous price, it's safe to say the Apple Watch would be good for some people.

I've been using a Pebble Time (PT) for about six months now. For the price (especially with holiday sales), it's worth it. It does two thing that Apple Watch doesn't do - cross platform support, and has amazing battery life. PT supports both Android and iOS, has a great community behind it, therefore good support. The battery life lasts easily 5-7 days. With any smartwatch, It's nice going to a meeting or being at dinner/any social situation and looking at your wrist rather than doing the rude thing. You can find Pebble Time as cheap as $99-$150 on sale. 

They also have Pebble Time Steel, which is slightly more expensive, and better built. There's also the Pebble Time Round, which as you guessed is round.

I've been using a Pebble Time (PT) for about six months now. For the price (especially with holiday sales), it's worth it. It does two thing that Apple Watch doesn't do - cross platform support, and has amazing battery life. PT supports both Android and iOS, has a great community behind it, therefore good support. The battery life lasts easily 5-7 days. With any smartwatch, It's nice going to a meeting or being at dinner/any social situation and looking at your wrist rather than doing the rude thing. You can find Pebble Time as cheap as $99-$150 on sale. 

They also have Pebble Time Steel, which is slightly more expensive, and better built. There's also the Pebble Time Round, which as you guessed is round.

Yes, but people like BIG things that BIG companies make... that's not a problem but very little third-party support is on that and people don't think of a smartwatch when they see that. The pebble time is great... but people want BIG.

Yes, but people like BIG things that BIG companies make... that's not a problem but very little third-party support is on that and people don't think of a smartwatch when they see that. The pebble time is great... but people want BIG.

Maybe, people want big. The app support is great on PT, granted it won't touch Apple. The advantages of having a PT are enough to justify the device for me. I also switch between iOS and Android, and the fact I can use the PT with both is great. The PT and Apple Watch don't compete, they're in two different price points - the cheapest Apple Watch is more expensive than any Pebble smartwatch. 

IMHO smartwatches are sillier than 3D tv

I wouldn't say that. At their most basic form they are still useful in the sense that they are still a watch.

I wouldn't say that. At their most basic form they are still useful in the sense that they are still a watch.

At least for 6-8 hours of a day. Good thing we don't have days longer than 6-8 hours ;)

(Yes I know some last longer, its a joke)

I have an Apple watch (having had a Pebble before this). The difference between Pebble and the AW is astounding.

The best way I'd describe it is no, you don't need it, and you can survive perfectly well without it, but it makes life easier in lots of different ways. When I buy lunch, I can pay with my watch without having to get my wallet or phone out. I can quickly glance at emails/text messages. I can see with a quick check of my wrist if it's going to rain any time soon. I can check the platform my train is on while walking to the station, and I can use it on the Tube, so I don't have to get my wallet out for my oyster card. Oh, and Authy works on it too, so I can get all of my 2 factor auth codes quickly.

There are more benefits if you are as embedded in Apple's ecosystem as I am too, like being able to control the Apple TV from it. Continuity is great too, so if I'm reading a message on my watch and I decide I want to type a long reply, the message will be waiting in the dock of my MacBook and in the corner or my iPhone.

Apps are much better now than they were when it was originally released too. That said, you can tell it's a first gen device.

• 8 months later...

I wonder how many posters to this thread have actually used an Apple Watch. I have one and would never part with it. If you have an iPhone, this watch is fantastic. Sure it costs more, but the technology is awesome. Almost everything that you can do on your phone, you can do on your wrist. At the gym, I can use my bluetooth headphones while I lift and play the music on my iPhone through my watch. Texts, phone calls, news and weather alerts, fitness reports, and more can be instantly accessed through it.

Sure, the Apple watch might not be for everyone, but it is an awesome addition to my techie life!

7 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

I wonder how many posters to this thread have actually used an Apple Watch. I have one and would never part with it. If you have an iPhone, this watch is fantastic. Sure it costs more, but the technology is awesome. (1)Almost everything that you can do on your phone, you can do on your wrist. (2)  At the gym, I can use my bluetooth headphones while I lift and play the music on my iPhone through my watch. (3)  Texts, phone calls, news and weather alerts, fitness reports, and more can be instantly accessed through it.

Sure, the Apple watch might not be for everyone, but it is an awesome addition to my techie life!

(1) What's the point in having the watch if you can do it with your phone?

(2) So, you can use two devices to play your music instead of one?

(3) and they can be accessed on a phone as well.

9 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

1) If I am engaged in some activity where I can't have my phone on me, the watch does the work for me (at the gym, cycling, etc).

2) The watch controls the iPhone music, like a remote. It doesn't play the music itself. You can select songs or playlists and play them using your watch. I don't have to put my iPhone in my pocket.

3) So I can keep my phone put away and as long as I have a bluetooth connection, I can use the watch instead (like in my gym bag, or in a backpack..... Also, when I am at my desk, I can be charging my phone downstairs and simply answer it or get my iPhone alerts on my watch. It is very, very convenient.

I can't speak for others, but wearable technology should improve your daily life by making tasks and communication easier and the Apple watch definitely does it for me.

2 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

You can leave your phone in the car while you are enjoying the fun at the park.  That your car is parked up to 350 ft from you.  You are able to check messages on Apple Watch. . That you have no pockets on your shorts. 

It's great.  

Not sure about music part. I don't have songs on my devices to test.  Someone else will help you on that one. 

Yes  you can access to your phone. Such as opening a link to the browser on phone instead on the watch. 

Just now, TAZMINATOR said:

Not sure about music part. I don't have songs on my devices to test.  Someone else will help you on that one. 

See my comment above! (Y)

• 1 year later...